Video recording always restarts just before end of flight

Reaction score
I'm curious if this happens to anyone else. It seems with every flight, after starting to record at takeoff, it will split the video and start a new video file with a little over a minute before I land. My flights are about 15-16 minutes on average with about 30% battery left. Anyone else see 2 video files after each flight? If so, is there a reason for this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using PhantomPilots mobile app

The file splits when it reaches 4GB.

Reactions: Bigfootbuilt
The P3 is designed to cut files at 4GB. There are no workarounds regardless of formatting as either FAT32 or exFAT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigfootbuilt
The P3 is designed to cut files at 4GB. There are no workarounds regardless of formatting as either FAT32 or exFAT.
It is not a design of the P3, it has something to do with how he card has to be formatted. The same thing happens in all of my sport cameras, GOPRO, RUNCAM etc.

I'm curious if this happens to anyone else. It seems with every flight, after starting to record at takeoff, it will split the video and start a new video file with a little over a minute before I land. My flights are about 15-16 minutes on average with about 30% battery left. Anyone else see 2 video files after each flight? If so, is there a reason for this?
Limitations of the FAT32 file system, but the exFAT fixed this problem allowing you to record passed the 4gb limit, but unfortunately the phantom still splits the videos at 4gb regardless what any of those 2 formats you use, I have the P3P and I always record in 4K and my videos always split at 9 minutes and 20 seconds and starts recording a new file, so in this case it's software limitation

Reactions: Oso and Digdat0
It is not a design of the P3, it has something to do with how he card has to be formatted. The same thing happens in all of my sport cameras, GOPRO, RUNCAM etc.
Unfortunately in this particular case, with respect, you are mistaken. The truth is what I noted earlier. The P3 will still split at 4GB even though the exFat format itself allows larger files. This is old news really.

This question has come up several times, so I was anticipating someone would bring up formatting. That's why I specifically added my comment about the formats earlier.

There is sadly no workaround for the P3 at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
Unfortunately in this particular case, with respect, you are mistaken. The truth is what I noted earlier. The P3 will still split at 4GB even though the exFat format itself allows larger files. This is old news really.

This question has come up several times, so I was anticipating someone would bring up formatting. That's why I specifically added my comment about the formats earlier.

There is sadly no workaround for the P3 at the moment.
I see. I guess my sports cameras have the same limitations as the P3.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic