video questions

Reaction score
I've asked about video problems before and stupidly didn't update my notes. If I remember correctly since I'm using a PC it should be set to MP4 not MOV, is that correct? Also things look jumpy not smooth and I was told to reduce the video size which I did and things smoothed out, but then I crashed the drone and had it repaired and think some settings got changed because it's jumpy again. Will try 720P 1280x720 48fps. My question with this post is about the number of fps. Would reducing it from 60fps to 48fps make it likely to be smoother or more jumpy/choppy? How about lower than that?

Thank you for any help trying to understand this relationship!
David

I've asked about video problems before and stupidly didn't update my notes. If I remember correctly since I'm using a PC it should be set to MP4 not MOV, is that correct? Also things look jumpy not smooth and I was told to reduce the video size which I did and things smoothed out, but then I crashed the drone and had it repaired and think some settings got changed because it's jumpy again. Will try 720P 1280x720 48fps. My question with this post is about the number of fps. Would reducing it from 60fps to 48fps make it likely to be smoother or more jumpy/choppy? How about lower than that?

Thank you for any help trying to understand this relationship!
David
Most PC's will play either MP4 or MOV. Those are just what we call the "containers" for the codec. You can use either one and you won't see any difference.

When you say the video is "jumpy" exactly where is it "jumpy?" Live video stream on your device, playback on your PC? If on your PC, what software are you using for playback? And how much "firepower" is on your PC? By that I mean processor speed and RAM. 1080P needs a lot of resources.

Frame rate is quite subjective and is usually dependent on the intended "look" or what you're shooting. Most cinematic applications will use 24 frames (same as film). 48 and 60 would be applied if you need a lot of detail such as action sports, car chase, or if you intend to slow the footage down for a slo-mo effect. The higher the frame rate, the smoother the playback but some people find it a bit unatural looking for everyday use.

I've been watching a lot of youtube vids that are indicating to use manual mode for filming, setting your shutter speed as close as possible to double your frame rate to stop the stutter. eg: 30fps should be shutter speed 1/60... but up to 1/100 is ok... something like that anyways.

Do a quick google on it - see here:

shutter speed double your frame - Google Search{google:eek:mniboxStartMarginParameter}ie=UTF-8

Last edited:
Reactions: Razorback1
I use the double frame rate rule saw that info on youtube made a big difference in my overall video quality.

It all goes back to 35MM film cameras and mechanics of the shutter speed.
I took photography in school, but its been so long ago I just cant remember that stuff. I old so I'm using that excuse over some crazy living back in the 80s lol I'm trying to relearn it all now besides the P3S I also have the P34k I really like the RC on that drone the right hand wheel allows me to adjust settings easily on the fly see the changes on my screen and snap the picture when its to my liking. I use filters on both birds they make a big difference on the P3S.

I took photography in school, but its been so long ago I just cant remember that stuff. I old so I'm using that excuse over some crazy living back in the 80s lol I'm trying to relearn it all now besides the P3S I also have the P34k I really like the RC on that drone the right hand wheel allows me to adjust settings easily on the fly see the changes on my screen and snap the picture when its to my liking. I use filters on both birds they make a big difference on the P3S.
I'm really impressed with my P3S. Have filters but have not tried any. What filters are you using?

I bought these because they slip on and don't require a fixture Keeps weight down and strain off the gimbal each one weighs 4Grams
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G9HCYTW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use the polarizer lens most its really made a big impact on my photos with catching sunrise and sunset you get a lot of washout of ground textures when in urban settings. I want homes and buildings to be clean and detailed in the photo the polarizer lens gives me that and subdues the harsh glow in some cases you can make out the disc shaped sun in the glow which is what I want.

Reactions: Newbieguy

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl