video quality what am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
I already had a phantom 1 which I had been playing round with for a few weeks but saw a vision + v3 in the shop and my impulse buying mode took over,

I really like it, its more stable to fly and as a photo platform its very stable. But... the quality of the video is shocking. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Please see the video on youtube I have posted below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBSc3NzBxuw

The video actually looks a little better after upload to youtube but I can't seem to shoot anything without it being fuzzy (I don't know the video/photographic term) The straight lines for example on the bridges have jaggies and the buildings are blurry. I have shot at various times of the day, for example this was just before sunset, but in full daytime sunshine it is even worse. Like something I have shot with a 3 year old mobile phone camera. I have the soft right hand side to photos also (which is no problem as i can edit this out) I was always told that if you don't have the quality before post production then you won't have quality afterwards. I don't intend to use this for anything more than filming for myself and or youtube vids, but even for that its very bad quality.

My settings are currently (Ive tried to change the settings without any visible change in quality) 1080p 30 FPS i have tried to use large medium and small with no visible change. Iso 100. White balance set either auto or sunny day. exposure +1.5 and that is all.

please see another video i have made also to make a comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-CzTxxs28U

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWY9IitY2yA

If any person could give me sone advice about how to change the settings to get better results it would really be appreciated or how to solve these problems using post production software. I am not in a position to return the Phantom as the supplier doesn't class it as a problem that would warrant a return, and if i sent it to DJI directly I would have problems getting it back as Russia bans the import of all GPS and WiFi devices without a licence. Or if this is the best i can expect please let me know.

Kind Regards

Richard

The vision plus has a nice amateur camera.

I cant tell with youtube either due to compression.
have you tried sharpness setting? Looks like you have it on soft (maybe). There is 3 settings for sharpness. Try the middle option.

And the best *optimal resolution is 720@60fps..

Every shot differs, 1080/30 is great at wide for some things, however if you want slow close ups you may desire something differnet, but if your chasing a dirtbike on a hilly track well them thats totally different. Change it up and try it out....

Scampaboy

Pls tell us what kinda micro sd card you are using ?
Don't use the one provided with your camera, buy a class 10 one.
My guess is that the micro sd card can't handle the rate.
As i can see that its cold outside ( snow ) maybe the cold effects the rate of a sd card.
Anyway put in a class 10 card and see if you get a difference.

Mako79 said:

have you tried sharpness setting? Looks like you have it on soft (maybe). There is 3 settings for sharpness. Try the middle option.

The camera quality gets old really quick. I am looking to get a quick release with a gopro

worldsoutro said:
Mako79 said:

The camera quality gets old really quick. I am looking to get a quick release with a gopro

I'd suggest you NOT to get the DE quick release, not unless you really like to take 14mpx photos. If you want to save $400, keep reading below..

I too was disappointed with the Vision Plus camera. I was hoping that the latest version 1.3 FC200 camera firmware upgrade would increase the bit rate to handle 1080p@60fps. That hasn't happened.
My Vision plus is a hybrid. It uses the gopro and the vision plus app for FPV. I sold the Vision Plus camera and it funded for my Zenmuse H33D. I purchased a $10 Part 3 cable pack and hooked a Gopro 3+ and never looked back. The conversion is solderless and all you need to do is redirect 1 cable. It is also 100% reversible.

Phantom%202%20Vision%20Plus%20with%20H33D%20and%20GoPro.jpg

Read more here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 15&page=25

Thanks for the replies guys

Ill have a play with my settings and see if i can improve anything, I am thinking of putting a walkera gimbal on my phantom one any way. Also i already have a go pro camera. Maybe I am spoiled a little by the go pros quality.

The conversion to zenmuse looks quite interesting. Maybe its something to think about. Do you lose the telemetry in the vision app, altitude ground station etc?

Mako 79

I'm really interested in this conversion, i was looking through the posts and i found a video for the vision non plus, do you have any detailed instructions or links on youtube you could point me in the direction of ?

I didn't take many notes as all of was posted on the RC forum.
Its not hard if you read the 25 pages and it will edumacate you more on the phantom.

I have mine working on the Non upgraded phantom with 3.08 firmware and Samsung Note 4.

To put simply,
Unplug the Vision plus Gimbal and mounting plate (toss all in bin or sell it).
Take top shell off (don't fray the small screws).
Carefully unscrew the USB micro port at the front of phantom and pull the 3 cables up. Split them up. Take the widest cable that is plugged into the wifi module and plug it into the CAM port. Then get your $10.00, 8pin 15cm zenmuse cable, plug one end to the main board (labelled zenmuse) and feed it down the leg and into the rear of the H33D.
Reinstall USB port, Plug GPS cable back in, Mount the H33d and gopro. Don't screw the top shell yet. Go outside and turn on and check if you have sat counts and telemetry.
The telemetry will NOT work with IOS. FPV will work with IOS provided you enable GS and swipe back and forth.
When you get sat counts, screw the top shell back on.

Done.

Just remember to press record before flight.
Redo IMU and compass.
You may get jello as the Gopro + H33d weighs more tham the vision pluss camera and gimbal. If you get jello, use white balls and set the first 2 gain settings to 90/90 or change to the dark grey stiffer balls.
And also look at simultaneous video and stills mode on the gopro.

Papa Juan said:
This is pure unadulterated ignorance and should be ignored.

Do you always address people like that ?
Seems to me that daddy has a lot to learn about empathy.
You can not judge nor condemn me.
If you don't agree with a point of view then there is something thats called debate/discussion.
I rest my case.

The examples posted in first post don't show much evidence of anything set wrong, it doesn't perform well at all in low light (example one)
It also doesn't look that good in very contrasty scenes with lots of detail like sun and snow with trees.
For best results have light from behind, try to keep movements smooth, maybe edit out rapid turns unless that suits the clip style.

The basic problem with the camera is low bitrates.
They have tried to help this by rather overdoing default sharpening which can cause flashing artefact effects.
Sometimes uploading to youtube actually improves that problem as their process is set up to make low res video look as good as possible.
Video from it also looks much better viewed on a smaller tablet or phone screen.

If you have decent video software you can play about with slight blurring/diffusing followed by resharpening - it does help sometimes e.g. gaussian blur or the antialias in Premiere, or noise remover such as neat image then resharpen slightly.
You can try the soft setting when recording but it seems just too soft to me.
You can get too hung up on tweaking things though. In an average reasonably bright daylight scene -when you are likely to be flying - results from from camera are not bad, and if you have nice golden hour light sometimes you are pleasantly surprised.

Papa Juan said:
ToThePoint said:
Papa Juan said:
This is pure unadulterated ignorance and should be ignored.

Do you always address people like that ?
Seems to me that daddy has a lot to learn about empathy.
You can not judge nor condemn me.
If you don't agree with a point of view then there is something thats called debate/discussion.
I rest my case.

I certainly can judge and condemn you because you don't know what the hell you are posting about.

It's not about having a different point of view - you simply and unequivocally don't know what you are posting about. There is no room for debate/discussion because the fact is you posted nonsense. And your post should be ignored because it is not helpful in any way, shape, or form.
I rest my case.
Well PJ, why don't you just ignore us, we all can't be as smart or as hateful as you.

Scampaboy said:
I already had a phantom 1 which I had been playing round with for a few weeks but saw a vision + v3 in the shop and my impulse buying mode took over,

I really like it, its more stable to fly and as a photo platform its very stable. But... the quality of the video is shocking. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Please see the video on youtube I have posted below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBSc3NzBxuw

The video actually looks a little better after upload to youtube but I can't seem to shoot anything without it being fuzzy (I don't know the video/photographic term) The straight lines for example on the bridges have jaggies and the buildings are blurry. I have shot at various times of the day, for example this was just before sunset, but in full daytime sunshine it is even worse. Like something I have shot with a 3 year old mobile phone camera. I have the soft right hand side to photos also (which is no problem as i can edit this out) I was always told that if you don't have the quality before post production then you won't have quality afterwards. I don't intend to use this for anything more than filming for myself and or youtube vids, but even for that its very bad quality.

My settings are currently (Ive tried to change the settings without any visible change in quality) 1080p 30 FPS i have tried to use large medium and small with no visible change. Iso 100. White balance set either auto or sunny day. exposure +1.5 and that is all.

please see another video i have made also to make a comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-CzTxxs28U

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWY9IitY2yA

If any person could give me sone advice about how to change the settings to get better results it would really be appreciated or how to solve these problems using post production software. I am not in a position to return the Phantom as the supplier doesn't class it as a problem that would warrant a return, and if i sent it to DJI directly I would have problems getting it back as Russia bans the import of all GPS and WiFi devices without a licence. Or if this is the best i can expect please let me know.

Kind Regards

Richard
Your videos look good to me other than the fish eye effect, but I am no pro. It's good to see you and your friend smiling as you fly, as it is to see your city and country. I believe the Phantom can bring us all closer together sharing our videos and pics, and I believe we can ask questions on this forum without being put down cause we have no idea what we are doing and trying to learn. We all want to get better at this, I have sat back and read many posts with out posting but learning, and if you do post and get a reply that makes you never want to post again,,,, I think that is wrong. I have no tips for you as I am learning too, but I do stand with you.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31