Video quality opinion input please

Reaction score
Ok. This is my first video after the .411 update and I need the general opinion if the quality is appropriate for the P4 camera. Living in SE Michigan is not conducive to overly exciting subjects in nature, so you'll have to settle for the swamp in my back yard.

I'm going to use this as the base for my journey into the art of post-processing so I want to first make sure that the camera is recording properly. It was recorded with a @PolarPro ND16/PL at 3840x2160 30fps. It auto metered at ISO 100 with a 50 shutter so I set it manual at 100 / 60 respectively.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

While you're here, have a look at these photos. Shot (photo mode) on the same flight, but with settings on Auto. They appear blurry to me.

DJI_0006.JPG

DJI_0009.JPG

Last edited:
Dropbox and whatever format you chose for the pictures are the worst media display ever.
For video upload the shots to YT and as for pictures save them to your PC and post them on the thread by link and chose full frame.
Can't even open the pictures as they are.

Reactions: Chopstix Kid
Dropbox and whatever format you chose for the pictures are the worst media display ever.
For video upload the shots to YT and as for pictures save them to your PC and post them on the thread by link and chose full frame.
Can't even open the pictures as they are.

I was hoping that it made the video downloadsble. I can correct the photos

Don't post pictures in that format, they are over compressed. Just save the picture to your PC/desktop/folder and use the UPLOAD A FILE and chose full frame format.

Ok. This is my first video after the .411 update and I need the general opinion if the quality is appropriate for the P4 camera. Living in SE Michigan is not conducive to overly exciting subjects in nature, so you'll have to settle for the swamp in my back yard.

I'm going to use this as the base for my journey into the art of post-processing so I want to first make sure that the camera is recording properly. It was recorded with a @PolarPro ND16/PL at 3840x2160 30fps. It auto metered at ISO 100 with a 50 shutter so I set it manual at 100 / 60 respectively.

Dropbox - DJI_0014.MOV

While you're here, have a look at this photo. Shot on the same flight, but with settings on Auto. I think it looks like poo.

View attachment 56523 View attachment 56524
Looks like the image quality of the photos are good, the video file got compressed somewhere in your workflow, it doesn't looks like full resolution if you shot it at 4K. I think that the video may be slightly underexposed as well, not sure if it is a full stop underexposed. You could either adjust the EV settings during flight, adjust exposure in post, or maybe it is just cloudy out and thats why it is dark.

Your flight style is completely up to you, but if I were shooting that, I would slow down a bit for a more cinematic look, but that is certainly personal preference.

I don't think its your camera, I think its compression in the player.

Ok, I reposted with YouTube

Don't post pictures in that format, they are over compressed. Just save the picture to your PC/desktop/folder and use the UPLOAD A FILE and chose full frame format.

How about now?

Looks like the image quality of the photos are good, the video file got compressed somewhere in your workflow, it doesn't looks like full resolution if you shot it at 4K. I think that the video may be slightly underexposed as well, not sure if it is a full stop underexposed. You could either adjust the EV settings during flight, adjust exposure in post, or maybe it is just cloudy out and thats why it is dark.

Your flight style is completely up to you, but if I were shooting that, I would slow down a bit for a more cinematic look, but that is certainly personal preference.

I was just trying to capture something. I don't think I have a style, at least not yet! The under exposure is likely from me forcing the 60 shutter (it metered at 50). I'm still learning :)

I uploaded it on YouTube so you can see in it 2160p.

Much better, video looks good and pictures are what you expect form a 12MP camera but all looks good and normal.
Only use ND for videos.
For stills/photos do not use any ND filters since it reduces the light amount = longer exposure = more vibrations = blurry pictures.

Much better, video looks good and pictures are what you expect form a 12MP camera but all looks good and normal.
Only use ND for videos.
For stills/photos do not use any ND filters since it reduces the light amount = longer exposure = more vibrations = blurry pictures.

Thank you. With all the buzz about video/photo problems with the P4, I just want to make sure everything is working right before I dive in. And yes, I do know about not using ND for photos... bird was already in the air and I had a lazy moment :rolleyes:

OK, here is a task and challenge for you now. Remember, you are the modern version of the old "town market" story teller, so using the video or stills tell us a "story".
- think what you want to say in your image.
- make a mental shooting process before the real one.
- shoot with the sun in the back but not shoot your own shadow.
- check all your equipment before the shoot.
- look before and shoot your scene by 3 different angles.
- retouch your presentation as needed.
- tell us your story (show the picture/video)

OK, here is a task and challenge for you now. Remember, you are the modern version of the old "town market" story teller, so using the video or stills tell us a "story".
- think what you want to say in your image.
- make a mental shooting process before the real one.
- shoot with the sun in the back but not shoot your own shadow.
- check all your equipment before the shoot.
- look before and shoot your scene by 3 different angles.
- retouch your presentation as needed.
- tell us your story (show the picture/video)
Great advice man. It's not just about flying an RC machine if your filiming to get the shot that tells the story!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic