Video "Phantom almost bites the dust" thread

That looks like a pretty clean flight. Where does it almost bite the dust?

msinger said:
That looks like a pretty clean flight. Where does it almost bite the dust?

When I lost video feed a message came across that stated that "dynamic homepoint could not be reset". It then stated that it was going to land. When I posted the original thread I had not watched the video. I had no idea what happened I only knew that the distance changed from 3600 ft to 6600 ft in about 1 second and I had no control over the Phantom for several minutes. It now seems that my GPS sent incorrect info to the Phantom and went off in the wrong direction. It appears that when I shut down the transmitter the Phantom corrected itself and made its way back to my house. So I guess to best answer your question is that at the time of posting I assumed that my Phantom "almost bite the dust" but later found out that it ultimately performed as advertised. When I originally posted I was still in "panic mode" and only wanted to figure out what happened. I have since calmed down and have learned a couple of things:

What I learned:
1) Turn off dynamic homepoint
2) Don't fly so #@%* far away!

You are so lucky. I'm thinking you had to be on a ground station mission in that you did not shut down and return back when you lost video?

It looked like it was 6600ft. And one big mistake was when you turned the quad so that it was facing the direction of home point. The quads best reception comes from the rear antenna wire. I actually lost a quad for this very reason I'm pointing out here.

Btw, that return to home speed is horrible being as slow as it is.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WewPC5LrG1Q[/youtube]

flyNfrank said:
You are so lucky. I'm thinking you had to be on a ground station mission in that you did not shut down and return back when you lost video?

It looked like it was 6600ft. And one big mistake was when you turned the quad so that it was facing the direction of home point. The quads best reception comes from the rear antenna wire. I actually lost a quad for this very reason I'm pointing out here.

Btw, that return to home speed is horrible being as slow as it is.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WewPC5LrG1Q[/youtube]

Hello Frank,

I do agree I was very lucky! In reflection I have determined that I was an idiot at attempting the distance that I went. I did not have a ground station, the only "thing" I was using was the FPV booster app.
I don't remember turning the Phantom but I guess I must have. I do remember switching to Homelock and pulling back on the transmitter but when I did that the Phantom continued to go the wrong way. I would have never believed that would happen until I reviewed the video. I was unaware that the quad doesn't get the same reception from the front so I am thankful for that info (not that I am willing to attempt a flight beyond 2500 ft. My new personal restriction.)

I do try to be cautious and in no way whatsoever would I ever do anything on purpose that would cause injury to another individual. Like I stated earlier, I wanted to fly over the coast line across the water and explore. But it didn't go quite as I expected.

As far as the RTH speed???? Wow, talk about light speed :lol: I was actually baffled when I finally saw the Phantom returning. I am glad that I had a full battery and didn't take any detours before my Phantom "returned home".

Most importantly nobody was harmed and I landed home safely. I have a new found respect for the RTH function but I will endeavor to never have to use it again.

Thanks for your input!

magicmethods, use the "youtube" button when posting and use the full YouTube link like this:

Code:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WewPC5LrG1Q[/youtube]

Yep, dynamic home point can be tricky.

Yesterday I forgot to turn on GPS on my phone, while I had Dynamic Home point on... Well, after a minute of flying I was surprised to see a message on my phone saying that Phantom is out of range and at the same time, it started flying by itself to the "supposed" home point, as it thought it was out of distance...

Turned him to Atti and put him down and turned on gps on my phone :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj