Video issue

Reaction score
I'm using a Phantom 3 Professional.

I'm trying to upload the video so that you can see it, hope it works.

This happens 75% of the time during filming: black, wavy bars that go up and down across the picture. Looks like it's being distorted or losing signal, but it stays on the actual video. Haven't had a chance to upload it to Adobe premier yet, but it looks like this on the video I am watching on my phone.

What is wrong? And will the propellers always be in the shot when I'm moving forward?

http://vid91.photobucket.com/albums...7-20F2-4897-B237-DEE9F956B9A5_zpsjge08cva.mp4

Reactions: dynamic3dSolutions
While it seems a little more pronounced than usual, it could be shadows from your props. Does the same thing happen if you fly early in the morning or late in the evening (within an hour after sunrise or before sunset)?

Reactions: Grant0605
Happens at all different times. I have a hard time believing that this drone would be developed so that would happen. Anyway if this were true, I'd imagine that plenty more people would have this issue.

Any other ideas? I'm thinking I got a bunk drone

The reason I mentioned the time of day is because prop shadows usually show up when the sun is high in the sky.

Are you positive that this usually happens in the early morning and/or late evening -- no matter which direction your Phantom is pointing? If that's the case, then you might have a hardware issue. If you're not sure, try it again at that time and see what happens.

Check out the video at the link below at about minute 2:26. It looks the same as your video.
How To Avoid Jello and Prop Shadows?

The above site also talks about how to avoid prop shadows. An ND filter and the proper camera settings can do wonders.

What is wrong?
In the sample you show, it goes away from 3 secs when you turn away.
Looks a lot like you have the sun shining through the props casting prop shadows across the lens.
Be mindful of where the sun is and try to shoot with it rather than against it.
And will the propellers always be in the shot when I'm moving forward?
You'll get the props in shot .. if you shoot straight ahead and you are moving fast enough.
The Phantom flies forward by tilting. The camera stays level and you see props.
Fly slower or tilt the camera down a little.

Yup! Looks like prop shadow to me. It's usually caused by your camera shutter speed being way too fast. An ND filter would remove that in most cases. I use an ND8 almost all the time and don't get any prop shadow, or rolling shutter (jello). If it's a really bright day I stick on an ND16.

ND filters are a bit like sunglasses for your Phantom.

Bummer, wish I knew about this and many other things before I began flying. Lots of great footage I will never be able to get again - all garbage now because of this.

Is this a Phantom specific issue?

Bummer, wish I knew about this and many other things before I began flying. Lots of great footage I will never be able to get again - all garbage now because of this.

No it's the same for any/most video camera which is subject to flickering shadows from props and such. Here's a video that shows the effect of adding an ND filter to a camera.

Make a DIY lens hood from some plastic. Here's approx. what it should look like.
Shape doesn't really matter, just test at home and make sure the hood isn't seen in the picture. And you can use double sided tape or something to keep it on.

419sNka0KKL._SX425_.jpg

Explanation:

It's not a "Phantom" issue; it's a user issue.

The pilot needs to be aware of the direction that camera is pointing relative to the sun.

Reactions: dirkclod

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1