Video info for feature films.

Reaction score
I have a Producer friend that wants me to follow an actress on a trail. But so far I am getting a jerky shot not jello. I watch a YouTube and the settings he sets look different than mine. I'm getting a super fast set of Micro usb cards and reader. Do I shoot Pal or NTSB? HD is what we want but flowing. I am a photographer and know those rules apply but this is causing me a degree of difficulty. Please advise and constructive info welcome.

well if you're filming this for USA then you should be using NTSC (not sure the national transportation safety board would help anyway)....

Last edited:
Most tv work in Europe is shot in 25fps as standard so any Tv work I've done I've shot it at that.

I have a Producer friend that wants me to follow an actress on a trail. But so far I am getting a jerky shot not jello. I watch a YouTube and the settings he sets look different than mine. I'm getting a super fast set of Micro usb cards and reader. Do I shoot Pal or NTSB? HD is what we want but flowing. I am a photographer and know those rules apply but this is causing me a degree of difficulty. Please advise and constructive info welcome.
ND filters will definitely help in post when it comes time for color correction. But could you clarify what you mean by a "jerky shot"? Is it jerky in that the actions of the camera (ie: tilt, pan, follow) are jerky as opposed to smooth like using a fluid head tripod? Or jerky in that the recorded video seems to jump frames?
The first will require using a lighter touch on the control sticks, and perhaps turning down the gimbal speed in the pilot app. If you're really brave, you could try changing the control response time in the app as well, although I haven't actually seen anyone in the forum who's done that. One tip that seems to work well for dampening down the controls a little is to raise the stick height. There's a video on youtube on how to do it.
The second is where the ND filter will help out. It will allow you to lower the shutter speed so the changes between one frame of recorded video and the next aren't as great. This gives you a more natural and flowing look to your shot. Less hyper real a la Saving Private Ryan.
Here's a link to a good video explaining the principle;

Good luck with the movie. Could lead to great things.
PS: the vid is for the inspire 1, but the app is the same for both I1 and P3, and the principles are the same.

If I shoot in 4k, the video is really jerky when I view it straight out of the camera on my Microsoft Surface Pro 3, even though it's as top spec as the Surface can get, it's just not up to playing the 4k video back.

If I load into Premiere Pro it looks a little less jerky, but it's still really bad, but if I go through the video frame by frame, it's clear that it's not the video itself because all the frames are there, the playback is just skipping a lot of them, and it's therefore probably just the computer that's the problem.
After I export the video it comes good, and also if I view it on a higher spec machine like my gaming desktop, with high end graphics handling, it's smooth. So for me it's only the computer making it jerky.
What kind of machine are you playing it on? It could just be the machine isn't up to it.

Reactions: Brad Vickery
ND filters will definitely help in post when it comes time for color correction. But could you clarify what you mean by a "jerky shot"? Is it jerky in that the actions of the camera (ie: tilt, pan, follow) are jerky as opposed to smooth like using a fluid head tripod? Or jerky in that the recorded video seems to jump frames?
The first will require using a lighter touch on the control sticks, and perhaps turning down the gimbal speed in the pilot app. If you're really brave, you could try changing the control response time in the app as well, although I haven't actually seen anyone in the forum who's done that. One tip that seems to work well for dampening down the controls a little is to raise the stick height. There's a video on youtube on how to do it.
The second is where the ND filter will help out. It will allow you to lower the shutter speed so the changes between one frame of recorded video and the next aren't as great. This gives you a more natural and flowing look to your shot. Less hyper real a la Saving Private Ryan.
Here's a link to a good video explaining the principle;

Good luck with the movie. Could lead to great things.
PS: the vid is for the inspire 1, but the app is the same for both I1 and P3, and the principles are the same.
Thank you for your time & insight. I was referring to the frame jump scenario.

Does just sound like a playback issue. To play 4k is very processor intensive and you will need a serious of to do that. Have you checked the proxy version which the tablet records? Does that have the same issues?

Reactions: Brad Vickery

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20