Video footage using ND16 filter (phantomfilters.com)

Reaction score
Did some testing today in sunny weather using ND16 filter from phantomfilters.com. What are your opinions about their filters?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
k

Attached video clip is shot today with my Phantom 3 Adv using the ND16 filter.

You need to post process go get better contrast, brightness and saturation. Also I prefer 16:9 format.

Reactions: aenbacka
That footage looks terrible, but that has nothing to do with the filters..... It just looks like you had some wrong settings or recording with the intent of post processing and then never did.

That footage looks terrible, but that has nothing to do with the filters..... It just looks like you had some wrong settings or recording with the intent of post processing and then never did.

Actually I recorded using D-log color profile. I assume I need to use e.g., Davinci Resolve to do some color correction?

Has anyone done a comparison between ND16 and selecting "Sunny" w/o filter?

Has anyone done a comparison between ND16 and selecting "Sunny" w/o filter?
I am not really sure if ND 16 filter is a real ND 16. I have two different ND filters and I get different results for same camera settings :)

Optics is making me crazy as there are no easy ways to set things and ND filters are made by different parties and not sure of their qualification standards.

It's 2016. We don't use 4:3 except for Security Camera footage and still images.

Any 4:3 video will look like it came from 2004. It's will also look of poor quality.:neutral:

You see this is what happens when people recommend improving video quality by using ND filters and indeed LOG mode.
Both are really relatively advanced techniques requiring adjustments to white balance, contrast and saturation as a minimum.

The P3 will do much better if you just set it on Auto and style 'None' - and use supplied clear filter until you know what you are doing.

You see this is what happens when people recommend improving video quality by using ND filters and indeed LOG mode.
Both are really relatively advanced techniques requiring adjustments to white balance, contrast and saturation as a minimum.

The P3 will do much better if you just set it on Auto and style 'None' - and use supplied clear filter until you know what you are doing.
Yes you are probably right about this. Mostly I also use only the supplied UV-filter. I did experiment earlier with the ND8 filter and stills, and got some quite nice and interesting results. Attached is an example photo using ND8.

33135442a75a86d350285489a3090a23.jpg

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Rainbowers work great. I usually use a GR4 on top of the ND8 or ND16 depending on the time of day with the polarizer. The GR filters really bring out the sky.

Attachments

• 20160314_145134.jpg
    20160314_145134.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 387
First video looks like it is a bit underexposed.. Lock in the desired frame rate then apply the correct shutter speed.. Which is 2* (frame rate). Then apply the ND filter that gets you closest to EV of 0. Done!!!!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31