Video footage problem

Reaction score
Evening everyone.
Was out yesterday getting a bit of footage and was a bit worried that my video look very blurry and lost all its detail compared to all previous footage I'd taken.Would you mind giving your opinions and solutions.Both video settings are exactly the same.The only setting I changed was in photo and that was bracketing so I could do some HDR but thats it.
Two clips, one good and then the bad one.As you can see the good one has all the detail in the trees and roof tiles etc, the bad one has no detail at all and is blurry everywhere.The only difference was the weather conditions.The good clip was sunny and the bad clip was cloudy and had been raining a few hours before.

Drone test video good quality

Drone test video bad blurry quality

Even before I looked at the videos I thought to myself... I bet one is going to be taken on a dark day and the other on a sunny day.

It's your exposure. A manual exposure would help.

Even before I looked at the videos I thought to myself... I bet one is going to be taken on a dark day and the other on a sunny day.

It's your exposure. A manual exposure would help.

They was both on manual exposure.Admitedly I didn't have the right exposure set on the bad clip but would that really cause it to lose all that detail?

Even the good clip lost a lot of detail and was too blurry for being 4K. Were you recording in 4K or 720?

I would look at the raw footage and see if it's clean because it does look like exposure problems but the raw will show it all. It's just not reliable to guess from a vimeo clip that's been edited and uploaded. I run in auto mostly so I'm no expert... But I'm happy with my video quality.

It just looks like an exposure problem... on the darker evening....

The video does not have the sharpness there, but that could be because of upload.
Looking at the trees which are in the sun, it they do not appear to be that clear.

I would look at the raw footage and see if it's clean because it does look like exposure problems but the raw will show it all. It's just not reliable to guess from a vimeo clip that's been edited and uploaded. I run in auto mostly so I'm no expert... But I'm happy with my video quality.

Yep I looked at the raw footage and wasn't happy with it.Thats why I clipped it to 20 seconds long and put it on here for an opinion.Thats the only edit I done to it.Like you say though its not reliable once you upload it to somewhere but the original .mov file is exactly the same as the vimeo one.

Reactions: Reed L
Also in the evening video you're flying and in the bright day video (over Sainsbury's in Basingstoke if I'm not mistaken?) you're practically stationary which helps capture more detail and therefore less artefacts.

Also in the evening video you're flying and in the bright day video (over Sainsbury's in Basingstoke if I'm not mistaken?) you're practically stationary which helps capture more detail and therefore less artefacts.

You got it :) I think Im going to give it a right good test tomorrow after work and try different things and see how they come out.

You got it :) I think Im going to give it a right good test tomorrow after work and try different things and see how they come out.

Watch your speed and really pay attention to the blur when you first see it. Usually just turning or tilting the camera a bit will straighten things out and sharpen things up. It's easier to see on a tablet compared to a phone, so get your shot totally clear first and then record. Sometimes I fly for a full battery cycle and end up with 5 minutes of actual footage. I used to record the whole flight but generally I'm setting up for the shot and then getting everything to drop into place, (lighting, focus, angle and color) then I hit record when everything is perfect. You can always speed everything up post production, so keep the camera moving slow enough for clarity.

Reactions: Numone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers