Video flickering

Reaction score
Hi, could you please look at this video clip and tell me what you think. From about 1 minute to 1:20 the flickering is really bad. Could someone tell me why? It is taken in 1920 and auto and 25fps. Is this normal? I tried to pan it really slowly and was in tripod mode!

Please let me know what it could be.

Hi, could you please look at this video clip and tell me what you think. From about 1 minute to 1:20 the flickering is really bad. Could someone tell me why? It is taken in 1920 and auto and 25fps. Is this normal? I tried to pan it really slowly and was in tripod mode!

Please let me know what it could be.

Check your refresh rate, I leave it at 60 Hz. Also, for video, you want the shutter to be twice your frame rate. So for 24fps, you would want to lock the shutter at 1/48. What I see since you said it was on auto is that the shutter speed was probably very fast (1/1000 ish), which will cause the flickering as well. Hope that helps. Happy flying!

Reactions: setandforget
What software editor? And what shutter speed did your video shoot at since you were in auto? You'll have to go all manual if you want to get more cinematic blur to your footage. The shutter speed is most likely what is causing your jitter while your panning there. Your shutter speed has to be as close as possible to double your frame rate your shooting at. Your software render may be causing some of your flicker too maybe.

Hi guys and thank you soo much for your help! I will test it again and play with the manual settings! As long as there is nothing wrong with the camera I am glad!

I'm so happy to always get fast answers on this forum!!!

Reactions: Nickster
This is the main reason to get ND filters to get the shutter speed down during video.

Two questions:

1. Is this from your device (phone/tablet) or from the SD card?

2. Is this the original or did you edit it at all. If it's edited, what are your render settings?

I ask this because it looks very low res.

Ok. On my phone it flickers like a video I did and transcoded it incorrectly. I haven't watched it on my desktop.
I meant the resolution was fine. Yes, it does flicker during the pan/yaw, due to the fast shutter speed. That's fixable with some attention to shutter speed set to twice the FPS.

Reactions: Pharm
This is from the sd card. I just cut the video with adobe premiere elements but it is the same with the original video. I tested some settings yeasterday and played with the shutter. The result was much better. With the shutter at the fastest speed gave the best result. I have to take it out and test it. It is strange that I have never had this problem with my Typhoon H. I ordered some nd filters too, so hope that helps.

When I first started flying drones about a year and a half ago I was shooting at 24fps and using ND filters to keep the shutter speed in the 2X frame rate range but the stuttering video was not acceptable to me. I then increased the frame rate to 30fps and that made a huge difference. I then added a Phantom 4 Pro to the Inspire 1 Pro and since there were no ND filters available at first I did all my early flying and filming without ND filters and that resulted in shutter speeds in the 1/640-1/2000 range when using ISO100 and f/5.6. Interestingly, I thought I'd have problems do to the high shutter speed but that is not the case. See this video I shot recently with the P4P with a shutter speed of about 1/1000.

I see no issues with the high shutter speed and in fact all my videos with the P4P have been shot without ND filters with shutter speeds that average about 1/1000 -- check my channel and look at the other new videos and you can see that there is no need to use ND filters to reduce shutter speed.

But, let me repeat that using the slow frame rate of 24fps or 25fps will result in video that stutters so I'd advise upping the frame rate to 30fps. You may be tempted to increase the frame rate to 60fps, but I would not advise that when shooting in 4K as the hardware/firmware does not handle the 60fps frame rate at 4K well. The sweet spot at 4K is 30fps in my opinion.

Brian

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie