Video Files not saved on SD card - what happened?

Reaction score
Made a flight with my phantom 3 today and shot a handful of videos.

The recording all seemed to work fine according to my iphone. The videos were about 3min long. Upon coming home I could not find any of the video files on my sd card.

Has anybody experienced this before? Any ideas if the files can be recovered?

Its a bad hit for me because I have not only lost footage but also faith that any future recordings will be recorded fine.

Did you push the button to start the video recording?
Did you push the button to stop the video recording BEFORE you shut down the Phantom.

Has anybody experienced this before? Any ideas if the files can be recovered?

You probably have a 720p version on the phone/tablet.
Try recording a short sequence indoors without the distraction of flying, make sure the round circle changes to square.
As mentioned above you must stop the video and let the phantom complete writing to the card before turning it off.
It's possible the card is faulty (try another?). It's advisable to format it in the camera from the app before you start.

Thanks for the replys

@barefootbeachcombing: yes I did push start and stop record before shutting down the phantom. I recorded multiple files, and none of the files of that flying "session" are visible.

@4wd: Thanks for the hint, I have now luckily found the 720p footage on the phone! Unfortunately it is very poor 720p quality (high compression, very obvious refreshing) so its more for anecdotal evidence more than anything else...btw, the phantom has successfully saved video files before and after this one incident.

A further piece of evidence: Previous to the incident the files were saved under /100MEDIA on the SD card. After the incident the files are being saved under /DCIM/100MEDIA. The folder "/DCIM/100MEDIA" was had been created during the incident flight but was left empty.

Last edited:
If the problem persists, I would try reformatting the card in the Phantom using the DJI GO app.

Then test record.

If the problem still persists, I would try a new card.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl