Video editting like pictues?

Reaction score
Hi Pilots ;)

Im kinda noob here on what good video shooting is, i have watched tons of youtube videos of how to set video settings, but one thing i do not know is that are you editting the video "quality" like a you do on a normal still picture ?

If Yes how and with what programs, i have tried to use lightroom to "try" editting pictures, but i still find it really hard :O)

Kind regards Nicolai

You can if you wish.
Lower end ones allow splicing and correcting contrast, brightness, etc. but no color grading. Others allow color grading, splicing and special effects such as muzzle blast, smoke and animation.

Windows has Premiere, Davinci Resolve, Hit film etc.
Mac has Davinci, Imovie etc.

Generally in video you wish to apply adjustments to all frames but you can pic and chose individual frames.

Last edited:
You can if you wish.
Lower end ones allow splicing and correcting contrast, brightness, etc. but no color grading. Others allow color grading, splicing and special effects such as muzzle blast, smoke and animation.

Windows has Premiere, Davinci Resolve, Hit film etc.
Mac has Davinci, Imovie etc.

Generally in video you wish to apply adjustments to all frames but you can pic and chose individual frames.

Hmm okay, it dosent sound easy at all :D
Is there any known shortcuts for great videos without to much knowledge with editting programs :)?

It is actually pretty easy.
For iOS iMovie is quick and easy.
For PC Windows movie maker.

On most all editing programs, you just import, open, indicate where you want to snip/spice and then pick what you wish to apply to either a frame or the total clip, apply that and save. Then post it to wherever you wish....

So you are already semi-comfortable editing .dng raw files with Lightroom etc? Great!

Video editing is another thing. I'm still learning. I use Final Cut Pro but I guess DaVinci Resolve and Premiere are OK, too.

With DJI I currently use this setup:

Manual white balance 5000K (6000K at sunset or Cloudy preset)

LOG color profile (it is flat but you correct it in post...)

Sharpness -2
Contrast -3
Saturation -2

So you are already semi-comfortable editing .dng raw files with Lightroom etc? Great!

Video editing is another thing. I'm still learning. I use Final Cut Pro but I guess DaVinci Resolve and Premiere are OK, too.

With DJI I currently use this setup:

Manual white balance 5000K (6000K at sunset or Cloudy preset)

LOG color profile (it is flat but you correct it in post...)

Sharpness -2
Contrast -3
Saturation -2

Semi-comfortable is maybe to much said, i find it pretty difficult editting the small things, i find the auto setting pretty cool haha :D

I wonder if there was a setting that could be used on the p3a to get pretty good looking videos without post :-0?

Lightroom auto-settings should do a much better job compared to .jpg files. And if you can be bothered, manual editing is still better. ...RAW .dng files are a pain in every step but I now shoot only RAW...

Video editors like Final Cut Pro also have auto-settings.

Lightroom auto-settings should do a much better job compared to .jpg files. And if you can be bothered, manual editing is still better. ...RAW .dng files are a pain in every step but I now shoot only RAW...

Video editors like Final Cut Pro also have auto-settings.

Yes i compared 2 pictures first before and after "auto setting" and it does really look better.

I will try the final cut Pro, maybe i will learn it some day :)

Another thing, do you know if ND filters should be used for still pictures, or is it only for movies?
I am soon going to shoot video and pictures in very bright Sun, but i read some saying that ND filters does nothing for still pictures ?

I have mac and enjoy using free iMovie App for editing. Its similar to Final Cut pro but free.

Are you also "tweaking" the different quality settings :)?
What is you video setup :)?
Yes Post processing is good if you don't compromise during shooting. During shooting avoid extra sharpening, colors and contract, best take flat and post process per your liking.

Initial settings as given above by matti are quite effective for post processing.

Adobe Premiere is what I use. Would never go back to the basic editors. Use the 232 settings and try to get the image as flat as possible then bring it up in post.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I use FCPX (Final Cut Pro X0 for video editing. It's a seriously, seriously powerful tool, but only if you know how to use it. I'm very much still learning!

The basics that I learned first were importing, trimming, transitions (the less the better), titles, and adding music and exporting.

After that, I looked at basic colour correction, setting the white points and black points, and effects. Then I looked at audio.

FCPX is some programme! But like everything, it takes a LOT of time and practice to get up to speed. But for basics, it works well too. There's a guy online called Larry Jordan who does a whole lot of video tutorials - well worth investigating his stuff.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik