Video Editing Software

Reaction score
What is the recommended PC based video editing software for the higher quality video that I can pull off of the memory card. I am wanting to use this for professional use.

What is the recommended PC based video editing software for the higher quality video that I can pull off of the memory card. I am wanting to use this for professional use.
"Best" or "recommended" are rather arbitrary terms in technology, because there are so many options and it really depends on what your doing, but I like adobe premiere and adobe after affects.

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you are using a Windows PC, Adobe Premiere Elements is fairly priced and reasonably capable. If you go to the Adobe site, you can get a 30-day free trial.

On a Mac, a lot of people just use iMovie, which comes free with it. If you are interested in professional video editing, there is Final Cut Pro X.

Reactions: SCGENE
If you are using a Windows PC, Adobe Premiere Elements is fairly priced and reasonably capable. If you go to the Adobe site, you can get a 30-day free trial.

On a Mac, a lot of people just use iMovie, which comes free with it. If you are interested in professional video editing, there is Final Cut Pro X.
I am Windows PC based. Based on two recommendations I will check out Adobe Premier.

Just be clear - there are two versions of Adobe Premiere - Elements and Pro. Different levels of functionality, big difference in cost. Premiere Elements is often packaged with Photoshop Elements at an attractive price. See here:

Amazon.com: Adobe Photoshop Elements & Premiere Elements 14: Software

I think Premiere Pro is only available now on a subscription basis from Adobe.

What weird about all this is that I am not a fan of Premiere in any flavor, but this is the third time I've recommended it to a PC user in the last week. I am a Mac guy and for both my pro and personal projects I use FCPX.

Last edited:
Took your suggestion and purchased that combo. Seems like it will get me started after I learn it

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Took your suggestion and purchased that combo. Seems like it will get me started after I learn it

For consumer use, the combo of Photoshop and Premiere is pretty powerful. Separately, they give you the tools to do both photos and video; together, there a number of cool effects you can do. Good luck!

Da Vinci Resolve is free for consumer, and extremely powerful. There is also a course on how to use it on Udemy and tons of tutorials on YouTube.

Yes, DaVinci Resolve is sorta free, but (speaking as a pretty competent FCPX user) it is a steep learning curve for someone new to video editing. Sure, NADM paid a few bucks for the Adobe combo, but he now has a couple tools that are well supported and capable of giving him decent results without a lot of brain damage. It is also worth noting that Photoshop and Premiere use similar processing concepts, so that learning one will help him understand the other.

Cyberlink Powerdirector 14, it processes really quick. Great for 4k and very easy to edit especially with the add on Colordirector.

Cyberlink Powerdirector 14, it processes really quick. Great for 4k and very easy to edit especially with the add on Colordirector.
Ima have to check it out, I've been using premier pro, and right now it's set on a 2hour export for 2:40 of video
I was about to try getting another machine, or would that not help?
I'm using a surface 3 with 4gb ram

Ima have to check it out, I've been using premier pro, and right now it's set on a 2hour export for 2:40 of video

Read some reviews, you won't be dissapointed.

Read some reviews, you won't be dissapointed. I think they recommend 8g of ram to edit 4K. My videos drasticly improved on my new machine. I wasn't able to edit 4K until I moved up to an I7 with 16g of ram.
. I would say your slow processing speed is due to your machine.

Yeah... I was afraid of that... Really don't want to invest another 6-800$ so quickly into this.

What kind of specs for a machine would you recommend? I was told an i7 processor and 16g memory , :eek:
In the last year I bought the surface3 an iPad mini and a acer tablet ... The acer was cheap but between those other two and the two drones, I feel like I got prostate exam without the drink first

So I am a few days in. I am using the Adobe products and I am having fun with it. Processing and rendering is a little slower then I expected but not horrible. I am using an i7 with 12GB of ram which seems doable. This is my first time working with video, I have always been a photo guy so video is a whole new area for me.

Reactions: Fir3b1rd
Cyber link powerdirector 14 for me

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I am not sure the i7 is a huge improvement over the i5. I suspect RAM is a bigger issue, but cpu always counts.
thank you, I was thinking the same thing.
I'm running on 4g ram in my surface, I thought it was 8 so, I'm guessing doubing it in a new machine would be sufficient. between those two I cut a new machine price in half.
feel much better about that.

you need more ram

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31