video editing software

Reaction score
ok so ive made my first few videos and im quite happy with them, however ive only just used gopro studio and its quite limited, im looking to move on to something better but with not too much of a learning curve, i tried premiere pro trial, but found it quite complex, would sony vegas pro be any easier. Effects im intereted in are 3d text in video, and twixter plugin, proffesional intros etc, any advice would be appreciated, cheers

Gonna jump in on this thread, because I have the same questions. I've done a few in iMovie. (Mac man myself.) It's fairly easy and intuitive. But I get the sense there is a lot more out there. Was thinking of Premiere next.

There are a couple threads out there on this but here is a newer one.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5824

Kinda depends on your level of comfort and experience and wether or not you use a mac or a pc.

Me personally I use a Mac. I am not a pro. I like I movie for 90% of the stuff I do. I am playing with trials in Premier and After Effects but there is a stout learning curve for a newb like me. I also hear that Premier Elements is a good way to go and is only about $50 and includes stabilization which is nice (so does iMove).

Just my 2 cents.

James

ghinson said:
Gonna jump in on this thread, because I have the same questions. I've done a few in iMovie. (Mac man myself.) It's fairly easy and intuitive. But I get the sense there is a lot more out there. Was thinking of Premiere next.

Well if your using a Mac do yourself a favour and go for Final Cut ProX. Its built for your system and works great.

Agree with shrimp farmer!

By the way, your shots look tight. Edits look with what you had. Simple but effective. I like your use of multiple types of footage in the first one too, nice time-lapse.

cheers discodrew, yeah im happy with them , just want to add 3d text in video, and an editor that shows sound peaks in music etc so i can match dramatic video to the most dramatic point in the music if that makes sense, i will take a look at the pinnicle studio 17, thanks for the help

I use tmpgenc http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tvmw5.html

A very stable, yet simple video editor.

I like Vegas movie studio better, but unfortunately its very unreliable, crashes a lot. :x Very frustrating.

I also use virtualdub / avisynth (free) for those things tmpgenc cannot do.

Just got me a Gopro (already have mobius, great quality and light) and with virtualdub / avisynth I can convert Gopro Protune with one script to "graded", defished and slowmotion footage. It has a decent stabilizer too, but I hope I don't need that one. (new gimbal on the way)

Workflow will be Protune 1080p 59.94 to 1080p 29.97 (=50% speed, maybe go to 25% with extra slomo) , grade and defish (maybe), edit and add music with tmpgenc.

iMovie on the iPad is actually not bad. If you want to wipe something together in a hurry to show friends, it's pretty good. Otherwise adobe offers really nice features but the price stinks.

thanks for that ton4, do these programs have many features, like animated text,text in video, ultra slow motion like twixtor, these are the kind of things im looking for, is adobe the only way forward ??

You can have ultra ultra slow motion with Virtual Dub/Avisynth. Twixtor like.

Animated text I don't use much, never tried it with those programs. ("3D" samples I have seen are pretty cool, I guess Adobe)

Tmpgenc can animate text, size, rotation etc, but you cannot lock it automatically to a "point" in the footage to follow.

Use tmpgenc since I started filming with a 5D back in the days. While, then, a lot of software was messy with the Canon movs, it did well. It eats anything, filetype wise and has plenty of flexible export. But its simple. And stability is 100%.

Adobe After Effects can do much more, I may look at that in the future. It's 250 US$ a year.

shortyuk said:
thanks for that ton4, do these programs have many features, like animated text,text in video, ultra slow motion like twixtor, these are the kind of things im looking for, is adobe the only way forward ??

Ton4 said:
You can have ultra ultra slow motion with Virtual Dub/Avisynth. Twixtor like.

Animated text I don't use much, never tried it with those programs. ("3D" samples I have seen are pretty cool, I guess Adobe)

Tmpgenc can animate text, size, rotation etc, but you cannot lock it automatically to a "point" in the footage to follow.

Use tmpgenc since I started filming with a 5D back in the days. While, then, a lot of software was messy with the Canon movs, it did well. It eats anything, filetype wise and has plenty of flexible export. But its simple. And stability is 100%.

Adobe After Effects can do much more, I may look at that in the future. It's 250 US$ a year.

shortyuk said:

I've been learning After Effects for the past year, and truth to tell I've just started to get a handle on it. After Effects isn't a video editing program or a NLE "non-linear editing" system like Vegas or Adobe Premiere. After Effects is considered a video composting program much like Photoshop is for photos. Can you edit video in After Effects? Why hell yes you can...you can do anything in After Effects.

It's the top of the world, but boy what a ride getting there.

I'm currently sporting AE, Element 3D, Optical Flares, Twitch, and pretty much everything Red Giant makes. I don't want to even think about how much it all cost.

Sadly I can't afford it anymore, now I own a quadcopter and it's sucking me dry.

Ok, experimented a bit. Phantom is in the hangar anyway for engine overhaul.

Shot two short clips with GoPro on my USD 75 Gimbal "shoulder mount", will stay there, as 3 axis is on the way.

Shot in 1080p wide 60fps Protune, then in Virtual Dub script for defish and slow motion. In Virtual Dub set footage to 29.97, and slowed down 2 times, so effectively 4 times slowed down. Messed with sharpness and colors a bit.

The output from Virtual Dub was then edited in TMPGEnc, titles were made as transparant 24bit transparant png's and animated over the footage with TMPGEnc.

In all steps you loose a bit of the quality, unfortunately.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXZE7TPIKOk[/youtube]

Hope you like the music :lol:

wow that slowmo is very cool, would the files from these programs be recognised by all editing programs including gopro studio, thanks again ton4

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj