Video editing software...

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
What are you guys using for post processing? I was just looking at PowerDirector 12 Ultra and it looks like it would do the trick for around $75.00.

Thanks
-slinger

gunslinger said:
What are you guys using for post processing? I was just looking at PowerDirector 12 Ultra and it looks like it would do the trick for around $75.00.

Thanks
-slinger

I use Pinnacle Studio Ulitmate 17. It has a stabilizer feature but I haven't tried it yet. To be honest it is overkill for the amount of work that I do with it but I think it's great software.

David

FWIW I've used Cyberlink PDR12 Ultra, Pinnacle Studio 17, Adobe Premier, etc... For the money and ease of use I prefer PDR12. The stabilization works much better than PS17...although Prodad's Prodrenalin is best for stabilization IMHO. See

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtoYe1l-6Hs[/youtube]

I use Photoshop CC for quick and short films. It is amazing what Photoshop CC can do. Doesn't have any stabilization. But you have full Photoshop color correction and all the Smart Filters available when editing video. I have an old Adobe CS3 suite with Premiere and AfterEffects. Photoshop CC is quicker and easier.

ted35 said:
FWIW I've used Cyberlink PDR12 Ultra, Pinnacle Studio 17, Adobe Premier, etc... For the money and ease of use I prefer PDR12. The stabilization works much better than PS17...although Prodad's Prodrenalin is best for stabilization IMHO. See

Does ProDrenalin have a camera profile for the Vision camera or did you have to create one?

Ron

@ rmwilson

Prodrenalin has about 20 or so settings that apply to different cameras...I just run through them until I find one that straightens the fish-eye..very scientific, huh?

Most software is available as 30 day trials. I would recommend that you hands on several products and find one you like. I use Premiere/After Effects which would be absolute overkill if you were looking for a light editor. Windows movies maker is not bad and it's free. Pinnacle used to have stability issues. Since they are still around, I'm guessing they got them straightened out. I started with Pinnacle many years ago and found the interface to be very easy. Cyberlink has a good rep as well.

do any of these programs support intel quicksync on the pc? if you havent seen it in action its amazing. it will render your project in seconds vs minutes..

I'm a Mac guy so I use iMovie 11. But I have have tried Adobe Premiere. It seems too complex for what I need at this point. Are you a PC guy? I have heard good things about After effects Cc.

One thing I have noticed about image stabilization on the three programs I have tried... I don't like it. It works ok but man I'd sure prefer not to have to do it..I really want a gimbal for the vision.

J

JustJames said:
One thing I have noticed about image stabilization on the three programs I have tried... I don't like it. It works ok but man I'd sure prefer not to have to do it..I really want a gimbal for the vision.

J

I agree with this. I have stabilisation in Final Cut Pro X but make no mistake there is a high price for using it. Depending on how bad the shaking is it will zoom your video in order to cancel it out. Might be ok for very slight tremors but forget it on anything worse. 100% agree go for smooth footage in the first place.

ted35 said:

By the time I read this post, I had already ordered PowerDirector 12, but I was intrigued by the reference to Prodrenalin's ability to stabilize video. After reading more, I realized that Prodrenalin will also remove fisheye, which as far as I can tell can't be done with PowerDirector 12. I decided to order it as well and give them both a try. I used the stabilization feature of both on a short clip of video that was pretty jerky. They both did a good job and frankly not much difference to my eye.

Then I tried something a little outside of the box. I took the video I had corrected in Prodrenalin, opened it in PowerDirector 12, and applied its stabilization correction to the already corrected video. The results were unbelievably smooth! I expected to see a loss of quality by doing the correction twice, but it was negligible. Of course the image was cropped in a little more, but with a wide angle lens like you have on the Vision, it didn't really matter that much. If you have both programs, this might be a good method to use on really jerky video or even on moderately unstable clips.

I think my workflow from now on might be:

1) Remove the fisheye and stablilize with Prodrenalin first.
2) Open the corrected clip in PowerDirector 12. Perform any color corrections, noise reduction, adding of sound tracks, and general editing of the clip there. If it is still somewhat shaky, perform the stabilization correction again.

Ron

rmwilson said:
By the time I read this post, I had already ordered PowerDirector 12, but I was intrigued by the reference to Prodrenalin's ability to stabilize video. After reading more, I realized that Prodrenalin will also remove fisheye, which as far as I can tell can't be done with PowerDirector 12. I decided to order it as well and give them both a try. I used the stabilization feature of both on a short clip of video that was pretty jerky. They both did a good job and frankly not much difference to my eye.

Then I tried something a little outside of the box. I took the video I had corrected in Prodrenalin, opened it in PowerDirector 12, and applied its stabilization correction to the already corrected video. The results were unbelievably smooth! I expected to see a loss of quality by doing the correction twice, but it was negligible. Of course the image was cropped in a little more, but with a wide angle lens like you have on the Vision, it didn't really matter that much. If you have both programs, this might be a good method to use on really jerky video or even on moderately unstable clips.

I think my workflow from now on might be:

1) Remove the fisheye and stablilize with Prodrenalin first.
2) Open the corrected clip in PowerDirector 12. Perform any color corrections, noise reduction, adding of sound tracks, and general editing of the clip there. If it is still somewhat shaky, perform the stabilization correction again.

Ron

I've also tried your workflow but the resolution seems to suffer during every stabilizing iteration...maybe I'm just being picky. After monkeying around with video stabilization for about a year (when I got my first Phantom) I've come to the realization that my money would be better spent on a good gimbal. There's nothing like stabilizing at the source! Now I just need to improve my flying technique to avoid "herky-jerky" movements.

BTW..here's what a decent gimbal will produce. The hex was jitterbugging about 15 degrees on all axis to stay in one spot.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkHcOpxGllk[/youtube]

I've also tried your workflow but the resolution seems to suffer during every stabilizing iteration...maybe I'm just being picky. After monkeying around with video stabilization for about a year (when I got my first Phantom) I've come to the realization that my money would be better spent on a good gimbal. There's nothing like stabilizing at the source! Now I just need to improve my flying technique to avoid "herky-jerky" movements.

BTW..here's what a decent gimbal will produce. The hex was jitterbugging about 15 degrees on all axis to stay in one spot.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkHcOpxGllk[/youtube][/quote]

I couldn't agree more. The best way to stabilize the image is to not have the jerkiness in the first place! I will definitely be interested in a good 2 axis gimbal, if they're not outrageously priced. In the mean time, the software is doing a pretty good job.

Ron

Anyone try Premiere Elements 12? It has a video stabilizer as well... Just got a copy, only $49... I do like how Prodad looks... May try using both as well... Will update...

As much as I am completely addicted to the P2V, the lack of a good gimbal is starting to drive me crazy... I really wish one of these gimbal makers release something soon... Hopefully the combined use of both apps will work until that day comes...

Re: Video editing software... ProDad ProDrenalin update

Bit of a thread resurection.

If anyone is using ProDad's ProDrenalin for de-fish and stabilisation, if you log into the client area there is a new download available (1.067) which includes a lens correction profile for the FC200. NOTE - this is not available via the regular download or trial version.
Update: since typing this, the update has now been included in the standard download.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,045
I have been trying to use iMovie to edit some video I have taken. I am really not interested in a bunch of fancy color correcting and filters but would like to crop out sections of video and splice back the remaining or even splice parts of separate videos together but Im'e not having much ease or luck with iMovie. I am not sure if it's the latest update but nothing seems to work like the how-to videos show on y-Tube. There is an option for video stabilization but its always greyed out.

iquittoo said:
I use Photoshop CC for quick and short films. It is amazing what Photoshop CC can do. Doesn't have any stabilization. But you have full Photoshop color correction and all the Smart Filters available when editing video. I have an old Adobe CS3 suite with Premiere and AfterEffects. Photoshop CC is quicker and easier.

Do you mind sharing how you use Photoshop CC to edit video?

I use Photoshop daily, but never knew you could edit video with it.

Re: Video editing software... ProDad ProDrenalin update

Studiowise said:
Bit of a thread resurection.

If anyone is using ProDad's ProDrenalin for de-fish and stabilisation, if you log into the client area there is a new download available (1.067) which includes a lens correction profile for the FC200. NOTE - this is not available via the regular download or trial version.

I just downloaded the trial and the profile for fc200 is in the trial
I like this easy format thanks for the lead
I use pinnacle 17 plus for editing but no profiles in there so for less than $50.00 this is great add on for me :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1