Video editing software - which?

Reaction score
Greetings,

And Happy New Year.

Curiously, which video editing software are you using for you Phantom footage? I'm on a Mac, so I'm looking for suggestions for this platform. (I have Photoshop CC, and can do some minor edits with it, but I'm looking for something a little more robust without having to break the bank.)

Thanks, in advance.

Jay

Greetings,

And Happy New Year.

Curiously, which video editing software are you using for you Phantom footage? I'm on a Mac, so I'm looking for suggestions for this platform. (I have Photoshop CC, and can do some minor edits with it, but I'm looking for something a little more robust without having to break the bank.)

Thanks, in advance.

Jay

If you can afford it why not pay the $50 a month and get everything Adobe has to offer like After Effects, Premiere Pro, Photoshop and so much more plus all the updates. I do all my editing in After Effects and if I'm going to put something together for it is compiled in Premiere. Been stock footage for agencies since 2006 and these are the editing programs I use today.

Reactions: Jay Pee
Hi Sparky,

I haven't thought about it yet. As a professional photographer who is just getting into video, I've heard of most everything out there. However, that doesn't mean that I need to spend a ton of money on something like Adobe Premier or Final Cut Pro. I'm just trying to get a sense of what folks are using the most, and why. If one of those, or something else turns out to be the best, then I'll have to spring for it. I think I'm going to check out iMovie, and see what I can do with it, since it supports 4K video.

:)

Jay

If you can afford it why not pay the $50 a month and get everything Adobe has to offer like After Effects, Premiere Pro, Photoshop and so much more plus all the updates. I do all my editing in After Effects and if I'm going to put something together for it is compiled in Premiere. Been stock footage for agencies since 2006 and these are are the editing programs I use today.
If you register for any class at a local community college, and then drop the class before the drop date, you qualify for Adobe's Academic pricing, which is $20 per month for the same package, for a year! :cool:

Reactions: Jay Pee
Hi Sparky,

I haven't thought about it yet. As a professional photographer who is just getting into video, I've heard of most everything out there. However, that doesn't mean that I need to spend a ton of money on something like Adobe Premier or Final Cut Pro. I'm just trying to get a sense of what folks are using the most, and why. If one of those, or something else turns out to be the best, then I'll have to spring for it. I think I'm going to check out iMovie, and see what I can do with it, since it supports 4K video.

Jay

Since most of my stock word is cutting video from 10 sec to 1 minute I use Adobe's master collection CS6 even or aerial work this all I need any more.

Some are always looking for an angle.

I use CyberLink PowerDirector 14.

Hi Sparky,

Jay
I typically use Premiere Pro / After Effects but I've been playing around with Final Cut.

Adobe stuff: It's getting fairly integrated, all the programs work more-or-less the same and you can round trip with ease and aplomb. Very powerful. Very complex. My personal beef is that AE and Premiere should be one program. Despite all the attempts at integration, it's still klunkier than it should be. OTOH, Bridge finally works (after how many years now?). Enormous amounts of third party support. Expensive no matter how you slice it. I've been on Photoshop since version 3 so I'm used to the klunky interface. If it's new to someone, it's got to be a gawd awful mess.

Final Cut: Fast on a new Mac (current iMac 27), slowish on older hardware (2011 MBP with 16 GB RAM and SSD). Much simpler but much less flexible. I really miss After Effects. Of course, you can use AE with FCP but why? The automatic grading is OK. Never found doing it 'by hand' all that much of a hassle.

I'm still mad at Adobe for pulling the perpetual rental stunt. If I could find a decent pixel editor, I'd b tempted to drop PS. Hasn't happened yet. Affinity is close, but not quite there. I could live with FCP.

$500.00 a year isn't bad and you have the complete use of every program they have. I don't use the Adobe CC as I do not need it for what I do but After Effects and Premiere Pro do not have the same features some are similar but still not the same. I have used other programs in past years but there things those programs cannot do which Adobe shines at.

I like Power Director 14, as mentioned by Sparky. It has five or six different versions and all but the cheapest version can import/export 4K video. You can download trial versions directly from the site to see if it suits your requirements.

I have fallen in love with Final Cut Pro X. It does what I need it to do, is fast, intuitive and fun. The only drawback is the size of the temporary files it creates and I imagine the other programs do that as well so a external hard drive of at least 2tb is mandatory. I also store all my footage on the external drives to free up internal memory. I suppose what ever you get use to becomes your favorite. I just can't see paying a monthly fee.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31