Video disabled in Restricted area....but I can still fly?

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I've been reading lots on the forum since getting my P3P a few months ago; thanks for all the info!

I took my P3P to a beach I windsurf at a few weeks ago, hoping to film some action (Rhosneigr, in the isle of Anglesey in North Wales). I know it's very close to a Royal Air Force Base (RAF Valley), so I was curious if I'd be able to fly it or not. I got it ready to go and wasn't too surprised when DJI GO told me I was in a restricted area. Never having had that message before, I thought I'd try to take off, just to see what it would/wouldn't do? (It was a Saturday and I'd confirmed there was no flying planned at all that day).

I was pretty surprised that I was able to start it and take off without any problem at all.....or so I thought! Having checked everything was OK in a low hover, I stared to climb. When I got above about 6 ft, the video picture went completely white? All flight information was there and still working, just no picture? I did a couple of quick low-level circuits (about 20-30ft) and it flew perfectly...just without video?

I was expecting not to be able to fly the quad in that area, so was really surprised by what happened. Can anybody tell me if they've had that before? Is that what's supposed to happen? Grateful for your thoughts.

N.B. I'm a serving member of the RAF (aircraft engineer), so I know all about the issues and legalities of active airfields.....

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Did also you try recording the video to the microSD card, and if so, was it successful?

Thanks for your reply[emoji106]

Yes, tried to record and just got a white screen too?

I was curious if I'd be able to fly it or not. I got it ready to go and wasn't too surprised when DJI GO told me I was in a restricted area. Never having had that message before, I thought I'd try to take off, just to see what it would/wouldn't do?
It's quite possible to fly in a restricted area ... but with altitude limitations that become lower the closer you are to the NFZ that is surrounded by the restricted area.
i-MPnN4Rb-L.jpg

The video issue was completely unrelated to where you were flying.
Perhaps your camera is set to overexpose?
If so the blue number in the line of camera data toward the top of the screen would show something like EV+3.0
If it does, use the right thumb wheel to dial it back to EV0

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Thanks for your thoughts Meta.

I kept low level throughout, so you may well be correct about remaining under the restricted level. I was less than 1/2 mile from the runway, but I'm not sure what 'R1' was for this military airfield.

The camera was definitely setup correctly though. It worked perfectly on the ground and in the low hover, instantly switching to a white screen when I climbed....

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Strange, though, that the video was fine on the ground, if it was, and was recording, and only went to all white when in the air above 6 feet. Something weird going on, but not necessarily connected to the NFZ. Even the 3 stops of possible over-exposure, using the exposure wheel, wouldn't be capable of turning the scene all white. That would take 5-7 stops! :eek:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4