Video Dichotomy

Reaction score
There is an installation video ... done by a verbally challenged DJI employee ... for the Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal: http://www.dji.com/tutorial/zenmuse-h3- ... tutorials/ There is also an installation video ... again, done by, I'd guess, the same verbally challenged DJI employee ... for the new upgrade board: http://www.dji.com/how-to-install-the-p ... grade-kit/. Why, since the board's main function is to a provide a convenient solution for using Zenmuse H3-2D with the Phantom, did that last video not include a section on installing the gimbal now that interior architecture is changed? It's obvious the gimbal will not be installed the same way, so why was it omitted? Is there yet another video on the way, I wonder? Just curious, you know, since in a week or so, I'll be doing some internal Phantom surgery. :)

Zircon said:
There is an installation video ... done by a verbally challenged DJI employee ... for the Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal: http://www.dji.com/tutorial/zenmuse-h3- ... tutorials/ There is also an installation video ... again, done by, I'd guess, the same verbally challenged DJI employee ... for the new upgrade board: http://www.dji.com/how-to-install-the-p ... grade-kit/. Why, since the board's main function is to a provide a convenient solution for using Zenmuse H3-2D with the Phantom, did that last video not include a section on installing the gimbal now that interior architecture is changed? It's obvious the gimbal will not be installed the same way, so why was it omitted? Is there yet another video on the way, I wonder? Just curious, you know, since in a week or so, I'll be doing some internal Phantom surgery. :)

Having installed the upgrade board and then the ZM H32D gimbal, I'm not sure what other basic info would be needed. Between the video for the board install and the pdf for the board install, it's pretty clear how it all goes together. In fact, *once the upgrade board is installed*, installing the gimbal really is ~plug and play. The only electrical connection between the gimbal and the Phantom remains the single 8-pin ribbon cable. The gimbal itself is installed the same way with, or without, the upgrade board. The difference is just the location of the 8-pin cable socket for the Phantom end of the cable, which is on the upgrade board, instead of being located on the GCU module.

What does differs is whether the separate PMU v2 and GCU need to be installed inside the Phantom (the original connection scheme). With the upgrade board, the PMU v2 and GCU functions are built-in to the board itself.

So while I agree that adding English language narration to the videos and having better translations in the online manuals would be welcome additions, in this case the available resources do document the install procedures reasonably well. The only installation detail I need to change is the zip tie holding the internal USB cable to the upgrade board. The way I currently have it, it interferes with stuffing the battery connector in along the top of the battery. I need to use a smaller zip tie or an alternate anchor location.

Steve

Steve, I've got the same setup you have, what is different for me now is the video feed coming off of the new board, where I was previously able to connect to the GCU (with a headphone type plug) to the DJI AVL 5.8; now we have the 3 wire lead coming off the board for the video feed to go into the video Tx. Any ideas how to take the three wire lead and connect those wires to the AVL Tx? I suppose I could cut the end off that use to plug into the GCU and strip that back and hopefully I'd have the wires I will need to connect to the three wire lead coming off the board...thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

The gimbal itself is installed the same way with, or without, the upgrade board.

Well, you must be looking at an entirely different gimbal installation video than I am. On the video, the gimbal is plugged into the GCU ... a unit that is not even used now. So, different, right. Not
the same.
. Also, if it's that simple ... plug and play ... why not show it on the board installation video?

What does differs is whether the separate PMU v2 and GCU need to be installed inside the Phantom (the original connection scheme). With the upgrade board, the PMU v2 and GCU functions are built-in to the board itself.

Could you explain this? It's not 'whether' it needs to be installed ... it doesn't ... as you said in your next statement, they are built in.

Now, I wasn't talking about manuals. I'd use those any day over a video. But, if you're going to make a video, make it clear, use words, and, if it's ultimately about showing the installation of the gimbal, show it please ... even if it's now 'plug and play' and you only have to plug in the pin from the gimbal to the socket on the new board. If it's so easy ... all the more reason to show it.

JDP_TOO_TALL said:
Steve, I've got the same setup you have, what is different for me now is the video feed coming off of the new board, where I was previously able to connect to the GCU (with a headphone type plug) to the DJI AVL 5.8; now we have the 3 wire lead coming off the board for the video feed to go into the video Tx. Any ideas how to take the three wire lead and connect those wires to the AVL Tx? I suppose I could cut the end off that use to plug into the GCU and strip that back and hopefully I'd have the wires I will need to connect to the three wire lead coming off the board...thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I have a non-DJI VTx to be installed, but I think you would need to do exactly what you described, since the 3 connections are video signal, ground, and +voltage in. What remains unclear to me (since I've never hooked up the separate GCU module), is whether it outputs +voltage (from the 3s battery) to the tip of the 3-conductor plug--DJI's docs are not consistent on this point. However this is indeed a moot point for those of us with the Phantom upgrade board. And the docs for the upgrade board indicate that these 3 connections are available from the supplied 3-conductor ribbon cable. So soldering those up to the proper leads from your DJI 5.8 GHz VTx should work fine.

Steve

Zircon said:
The gimbal itself is installed the same way with, or without, the upgrade board.

Well, you must be looking at an entirely different gimbal installation video than I am. On the video, the gimbal is plugged into the GCU ... a unit that is not even used now. So, different, right. Not
the same.
. Also, if it's that simple ... plug and play ... why not show it on the board installation video?

Could you explain this? It's not 'whether' it needs to be installed ... it doesn't ... as you said in your next statement, they are built in.

Now, I wasn't talking about manuals. I'd use those any day over a video. But, if you're going to make a video, make it clear, use words, and, if it's ultimately about showing the installation of the gimbal, show it please ... even if it's now 'plug and play' and you only have to plug in the pin from the gimbal to the socket on the new board. If it's so easy ... all the more reason to show it.

Sorry if I was being obscure, I was just trying to make clear (mostly to other readers) that once the upgrade board is installed, installing the ZM H32D gimbal is really a breeze: one ribbon cable plugged into the 8-pin socket and two screws to mount the top plate to the Phantom.

Maybe they will provide updated videos that detail the Phantom install of the ZM gimbal with a Phantom upgrade board, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. In fact, even if they had, it would already be slightly out of date since there are some changes in the way the 'v2' (or v1.1 or whatever you want to call it) is attached to the mounting plates. If you're handy, you might want to make such a video yourself. Most of us have learned a lot from end user posts and videos.

Steve

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20