Video color issues

Reaction score
I was just shooting video in the Bahamas using an ND16PL. The water is beautiful blue but my video would make it look green sometimes. I did have it on Auto mode. Any theories as to why the water color changes to green sometimes when it should be blue?

Thomas. It is from the auto. If the color scene is at auto instead of sunny or cloudy or you own custom, it will automatically change the tint to what it thinks it should be.

Thomas. It is from the auto. If the color scene is at auto instead of sunny or cloudy or you own custom, it will automatically change the tint to what it thinks it should be.

Thank you. So I should change the white balance to one of the settings that you just mentioned. I was crushed because sometimes the water looked as it should (beautiful Blue) and then when I turned the camera back to the boat to return it all looked green.

The angle of the camera relative to the sun can affect the color of the water (which I assume was shallow) and the polarizer can increase this effect as it cuts reflections. Changing the temperature will not affect this much (relative to the surroundings), but you can always manipulate the tint and color in post. Note that looking straight down at water will not be the same as at an angle (it will certainly look greener in many situations). Water itself is really not blue but closer to uncolored, but will seem blue due to the reflected sky and the absorption of red light. Deeper water will seem bluer than shallow due to the filtering and a polarizing filter will reduce the reflection from the sky.

Edit: This article explains parts of this (and is interesting by itself): Ocean Color | Science Mission Directorate

Last edited:
Thank you. So I should change the white balance to one of the settings that you just mentioned. I was crushed because sometimes the water looked as it should (beautiful Blue) and then when I turned the camera back to the boat to return it all looked green.
Yes, set your WB on 5000 and forget it if you are editing your stuff. You can always slightly tweak your WB in post in your editor. But 5000 is really close for mostly sunny. But Auto can change on you all the time which makes it unusable tbo.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl