Vibration when balancing GoPro 4 with coin

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently installed an H3-3D gimbal in my FC40. I also upgraded to a GoPro Hero 4 black edition. Without any counterbalance the gimbal is not quite balanced - it drops down slightly on the right when not powered up.

I followed the general suggestion of using coins on the motor to balance the gimbal. I found that a single 1p coin was enough to get it to remain horizontal when not powered on. However, when powered on it gets a lot of vibration feedback.

It doesn't seem right that when supposedly balanced it causes vibration, whereas without being balanced there is no noise at all. The interesting thing is that it wasn't balanced properly even with my old GoPro Hero 3 silver. I thought that was the camera the gimbal was designed for?

Either way - does it matter too much if it isn't perfectly balanced if it works OK when in operation? I haven't actually had a chance to use it yet because of weather so I'll have to find that out in the future.

I did see people talking about IMU calibration, however I don't see any option for that in the Gimbal Assistant - in fact the only thing I get is a slider showing the pitch position and an option to upgrade (which I did for the IMU).

I hope someone can help.
Thanks.

I won't be able to help ya. Same thing happens when I try to balance using a penny or a dime. The gimbal seems to work ok, so I take the coin back off so I don't hear that low vibration.

I used a dime - the penny was heavier and caused the vibration problem. No problem at all with a dime stuck on the side of the gimbal hinge opposite the camera. Weird since the weight difference is so minimal. I've done multiple flights now with no vibration issues.

Don't stick it to the motor (silver part), but on the black arm just behind it.
Had the same problem. Could probably burn the motor.

Dont forget guys, the gopro 4 is 10 grams heavier than the gopro3. So that means the 3d gimbal was NOT designed to carry the gopro4. There is a H4 heading your way.

I had a lens cover on the GP3+ that is about 10g the entire time I flew.
The couple extra grams will not hurt anything.

cokeaddict said:
Dont forget guys, the gopro 4 is 10 grams heavier than the gopro3. So that means the 3d gimbal was NOT designed to carry the gopro4. There is a H4 heading your way.
H4-3d has the same motors, look at dji.com website specs weight, exactly the same weight...

Fyod said:
Don't stick it to the motor (silver part), but on the black arm just behind it.
Had the same problem. Could probably burn the motor.

+1. The vibration goes away and the camera is balanced better

cokeaddict said:

My Gopro 4 works great with the this older gimbal. So if you get a new camera, it works with the old gimbal.

I had the same problem once I added the hero 4, although I never needed to balance. I reduced all my gains by 20-40% and the vibration went away. I would start by reducing all your gains by 20% and reduce more from there if needed.

Zombie Taco said:
cokeaddict said:

Don't forget guys that the H3-3D can carry a GP3 with a lens filter (about 7 grams) without issue. Don't forget guys it can also carry an H4B without issue. Don't forget guys that you can remove the battery from the H4B if you are concerned about weight.

Search the forum for the threads where people have burned out the motors on their H3-3D gimbals by using a lens filter. The gimbal is not balanced and the stress on the motors eventually takes its toll.

YEP... what HailStorm said.
10 grams heavier is like holding a 1 kilo bag of sugar in your hand stretched out infront of you....Eventually it will win the battle.

Is this the issue people are having?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSdPrMxRces

Brand new gimbal and P2v2. H3-3D with a Hero 4 Black. I have a nickel on the motor itself. Seems to balance it very well. I have done everything I can think of including checking all connections, updating the FW a couple time and also calibrating everything. The only thing I havent done was try different counter weights in different locations.

This is my 2nd phantom and I had a gimbal go bad before. Starting to loose faith in DJI....

I got the same issue when putting a coin on the silver motor part of the gimbal with the Hero4, what I did instead was attach the coin to the black part of the arm and the vibration went away. Just don't put it on the motor and you should be fine. The gimbal works like a charm with the GoPro Hero 4.

And wouldnt you know! THe one thing I didnt try works! Thanks! You have brought my cuss factor back down a bit! :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj