VFX Test with Quad Footage

Reaction score
Hey all:

Here's a little test I did using footage shot with the GoPro Hero 3+ Black on a Phantom 2. It's mostly just to see how well I can integrate foreground subjects shot against a greenscreen with aerial footage. There are several issues with both the background plates as well as the keys I was able to pull on my actress (my daughter), but all in all I'm very happy with how it turned out. Lots of lessons learned on how to better shoot the longer piece I have planned for the spring.

https://vimeo.com/112427537

Thanks,
Cary

Pretty cool stuff, what kind of range does she have? :p

You've won cool dad of the year award. Congrats!

Very cool test, and I agree it came out extremely well!

Was there any tracking involved and if so how did you get around the lens distortion? Also what tracking software did you use?

jimandsue60 said:
Nice! Do you have any links for tutorials on how you do that?

+1 That was really nice...Bravo! Would love to learn how you did it.

Thanks everybody!

Everything was shot at 2.7K Cine on the GoPro and processed in After Effects.

Background elements were stabilized using Warp Stabilizer VFX, fisheye removed using Optics Compensation (value of 56.2 or so, Reverse Lens Distortion checked), and sped up anywhere from 4x to 8x, depending on the original clip. I also added a zoom blur to overcome the strobey effect of the fast shutter speed on the GoPro, and masked out distant objects with a feathered mask. Everything was rendered out to 2.7K/23.978fps and reimported to After Effects for use as backgrounds.

Foreground greenscreen elements were actually shot with the GoPro mounted on the H3-2D and Phantom, just with no props, and handheld. My daughter was laying on a box covered in a big green backdrop, with a box fan in front of her to add some wind movement:

IMG_5890_sml.jpg

Processing on the foreground included creating a matte with the Keylight plugin, keyframed garbage mattes to remove extraneous BG objects and shadows that wouldn't key well, stabilization with the Motion Stabilizer, and additional or alternate movement keyframe-animated as needed. Shadows were done by duplicating the foreground layer, dialing down brightness/contrast/color balance using the Colorista Free plugin, and then using a keyframed mask to reveal FG shadows as my daughter passed shadows in the background plates.

Then everything was sequenced and music added in Premiere Pro and exported to the same 1080/23.978p output file, although in this case compressed for Vimeo.

Easy as pie! :D

In future, I wouldn't use the GoPro for shooting anything against the greenscreen, since it's pretty heavily compressed and doesn't key quite as well. I would also do a better job lighting the screen to eliminate shadows as much as possible, as well as making sure it was only where it really needed to be. I ended up with a lot of green spill from the backdrop on my daughter, which made the keying almost impossible in some cases.

Anyway, thanks again for all the comments, and let me know if you want (even more) nitty-gritty on the process.

Thanks so much for the tutorial. Haven't tried doing green screening yet and it really looks interesting. Not sure it is that "Easy as pie" but you did tickle my intellect to want to try something like that. Just need a willing subject like you had. You are making your daughter into a STAR! ;) :D

Thanks again for the description.

Fantastic loved it.
Really is amazing just how far people can go if they have a vivid imagination.
I agree with you though, I would have used my DSLR to record the green screen bits
Love the first bit too, looks like 2 jet fighters screaming past and I am thinking....no way in hell will he get away with that lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic