Very Strange FW Update

Reaction score
Greetings one and all

I got a new tablet yesterday as my old iPad 4 just wasn't cutting it anymore. Actually, it was my wife who finally pushed me to upgrade. I checked the list of compatible tablets with my Phantom 4 and the Galaxy Tab S2 was there, so that's what I got.

As soon as I turned it on it updated itself to the latest version without a problem. I then installed DJI Go 4. Again with no problem.

When I turned on the RC, DJI Go 4 and the AC it showed "Not connected." I restarted everything and still got the same "not connected" message. I restarted the tablet and it connected. The problem was that it there was a very insisted message saying that I had to update the FW. It wasn't going anywhere until I did so. When I first got the P4 there were quite a few guys here that suggested that I not do the update right away and so I was flying with the version that was on it coming out of the box. There were no problems ignoring the update message that would come up when I started everything up. But today was different... I HAD to update.

I was going to use DJI Assistant 2 but when I connected it told me that it couldn't update, try again. After 7 or 8 tries it was clear that it wasn't going to work. And so I set it up to be done with DJI Go 4 and it started the update. It went up to 99% and then started giving me a "time out-remove and reinstall the USB cable" I did that another 7 or 8 times when it was clear that it wasn't going to work either. I shut everything down and went out to do some shopping. When I got back I plugged it back in to DJI Assistant. Lo and behold, it finished the install at 100% but there was an error message as well. I really can't say what the error message was because I unplugged everything and it went away and I couldn't get it back again.

I started everything up and everything was normal. It said I had the latest firmware and that I was ready to fly. Everything as perfect - IMU, both green. Compass - green. I auto calibrated the gimbal and that showed as perfect. I couldn't believe my good fortune.

Funny thing is, I shut it all down and then restarted... it showed disconnected. I restarted the tablet and everything was fine. I did this a couple of times and the only way to connect was to restart the tablet.

Because of the weather I haven't been able to actually fly to test it but the way it looks on my RC I would be good to go. It just seems strange that I have to restart the tablet in order to get it to connect.

Has anyone ever seen or had this experience? And if so, were you still able to fly? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried disconnecting the cord from the tablet and reconnecting it?

Actually, I really can't say because I've connected and reconnected things so many times I don't know if I did or not. I'm going to try it and I'll get back to you!
Thanks

I never start the go app. After I get the remote and aircraft going, I then plug the USB cord to the tablet, and then the app opens by itself.

I never start the go app. After I get the remote and aircraft going, I then plug the USB cord to the tablet, and then the app opens by itself.
Nope... that doesn't work either. At least I know that the new FW is going to work - but I'll really try to prove that when I actually get it up in the air. It's not that it's a huge inconvenience to have to restart the tablet... it boots up fast, compared to my old iPad. It's just a bit of a pain in the butt.

Well it dosent make sense. When you plug the remote in to the tablet, the app should then fire right up.

When you updated the FW did you update the remote to? I think as the FW is updating off the tablet, there comes a point where you are told to unplug the cord from the AC and plug in to the remote to finish the update.

Well it dosen't make sense. When you plug the remote in to the tablet, the app should then fire right up.
Yes... it does fire right up... but it doesn't connect. In fact, even the app splash screen that comes up doesn't know that it's a P4... it thinks it's a Mavic. But reboot the tablet and all is well. I don't recall being asked to unplug the remote at any time during the update process. Is there a way to update the RC on it's own?

I know this sure wont HELP you with your present problem.......But when you fly..set that tablet to airplane mode....and theirs some neat easy things to set in "Developer mode".....that can come later......I also have the tablet you have and its been working nicely for me !

Yes... it does fire right up... but it doesn't connect. In fact, even the app splash screen that comes up doesn't know that it's a P4... it thinks it's a Mavic. But reboot the tablet and all is well. I don't recall being asked to unplug the remote at any time during the update process. Is there a way to update the RC on it's own?

Your tablet should have been plugged into the aircraft during the FW update. That's what the short wire in your phantom box is for.

Reactions: Bobby T
I know this sure wont HELP you with your present problem.......But when you fly..set that tablet to airplane mode....and theirs some neat easy things to set in "Developer mode".....that can come later......I also have the tablet you have and its been working nicely for me !
That sounds GREAT!!! I'll get back to you after I'm able to get it up. I don't think it will be until next week, according to the weather forecast. Looks like we're getting a couple inches of snow over the weekend. :( Can you believe that? Thanks so much!!!

Your tablet should have been plugged into the aircraft during the FW update. That's what the short wire in your phantom box is for.
Yes... it was plugged into the AC during the update... that's how I was watching the update progress... and how it stopped at 99% :disappointed:

We'll, I guess you can always try again if it didn't work. I just got my phantom 4 a couple of weeks ago, so I'm just learning about as well.

We'll, I guess you can always try again if it didn't work. I just got my phantom 4 a couple of weeks ago, so I'm just learning about as well.
I've had mine for about 2 weeks as well... I've never flown a drone in my life. I did fool around with one of those indoor helicopters. Not the same at all. I really think that flying the P4 is easier than that little copter. Because of the weather I've only been able to fly twice.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Just been reading,,have you synced your flight data with the cloud logo,unsure if will work but should make it realize it's a p4 (mayby)..not sure on conection issue but could try different usb cord

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Have you tried updating via the DJI Assistant 2 program?

I've had mine for about 2 weeks as well... I've never flown a drone in my life. I did fool around with one of those indoor helicopters. Not the same at all. I really think that flying the P4 is easier than that little copter. Because of the weather I've only been able to fly twice.

What State are you flying in?

Just been reading,,have you synced your flight data with the cloud logo,unsure if will work but should make it realize it's a p4 (mayby)
No.... haven't tried that, but I will. When I do restart the tablet it recognizes it as a Phantom 4. It's only when I shut everything down and then try starting everything back up again without restarting the tablet that it thinks it's a Mavec. But as I'm sitting here thinking, when I start up I get the splash screen with the couple in the boat, next the phantom picture where it tells me that I'm connected and the "go fly" button to open up the app. When I shut down and then open again it skips all that and goes right into the flight screen, not connected. Maybe the app isn't closing down completely?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20