Very Important Serial Number Question

Reaction score
This question is in regards to the "Craft S/N" and serial number sticker that is on the shell of the Phantom 3 Professional. Are these serial numbers tied to anything internal in the "guts" of the UAV? If you had your shell replaced, and threw the box in the garbage, would you no longer have a serial number (or have a different one)?

The serial # external may be "linked" back at DJI but we don't know this (or at least I don't know this) one way or the other.

There is an INTERNAL serial # as well. When you connect to Healthy Drones it displays that one for you.

It must be internal somewhere because it's displayed in the About section of DJI GO and in the flight logs.

Thank you for the replies. I have seen the "Flight Controller SN" on the DJI GO display. However, it appears to be very different than the "Craft S/N" that is displayed on the sticker and the box.

A little background for you, I am in aviation insurance. I have been insuring manned aircraft for many years but only got into the UAV insurance a little over a year ago. I am interested in this matter in case a UAV is destroyed. If it it completely destroyed, I do not think that the app would be able to connect to the UAV. Thus, the UAV would not be able to be identified if the external sticker were removed or the shell were replaced. Example, a external serial number would look like "P736D77069" and a "Flight Controller SN," displayed in the app, would look like "03Z0247943," correct?

I would think that the "P736D77069" number would be associated with some internal components.

Thank you very much for the help.

A little background for you, I am in aviation insurance. I have been insuring manned aircraft for many years but only got into the UAV insurance a little over a year ago. I am interested in this matter in case a UAV is destroyed. If it it completely destroyed, I do not think that the app would be able to connect to the UAV. Thus, the UAV would not be able to be identified if the external sticker were removed or the shell were replaced. Example, a external serial number would look like "P736D77069" and a "Flight Controller SN," displayed in the app, would look like "03Z0247943," correct?

Thank you very much for the help.

What types of insurance do you provide for UAV , which company do you work for?.

I thought I recognized that name LOL but convinced myself it was "another" Joe.

Welcome back to the boards Joe :)

I am an aviation specific insurance broker. I work for an agency called Bullock Agency, Inc. We only do aviation. I cannot insure "hobbiests," only commercial.

I broker for AIG Aerospace, Global Aerospace, Old Republic Aerospace, USAIG, Starr Aviation, Aerospace Insurance Managers, USSIC, London Aviation Underwriters, XL, QBE, and a couple hangar insurance companies. We insure everything from Cessna 172s, flight schools, FBOs, private jets, charter operators, aerial applicators, and for the past year, commercial UAVs.

If you fly commercially now, or will when Part 107 takes effect, please keep me in mind.

Thanks,

Joe Ernster
[email protected]

Hey Al,

Good to see you. I am causing quite a stir at the insurance companies right now with this serial number question. They have their corporate lawyers looking into this for me.

I have had several UAV insurance claims paid out this year with no problems at all. One of my insureds had their check within 3 days!

However, I can see this serial number discrepancy potentially causing some problems in the future. Both with the insurance company not being able to properly identify a UAV, or, with insured trying to defraud the the insurance company by swapping the SN sticker between a destroyed UAV and a working one. I am just trying to protect everyone involved. I was hoping the true experts (you guys) had an answer for me.

I guess we will see what the corporate aviation insurance lawyers have to say!

Hey Al,

Good to see you. I am causing quite a stir at the insurance companies right now with this serial number question. They have their corporate lawyers looking into this for me.

I have had several UAV insurance claims paid out this year with no problems at all. One of my insureds had their check within 3 days!

However, I can see this serial number discrepancy potentially causing some problems in the future. Both with the insurance company not being able to properly identify a UAV, or, with insured trying to defraud the the insurance company by swapping the SN sticker between a destroyed UAV and a working one. I am just trying to protect everyone involved. I was hoping the true experts (you guys) had an answer for me.

I guess we will see what the corporate aviation insurance lawyers have to say!
Joe,

Whatever your results I'm sure there are a lot of people here, myself included, that would like to hear about it. May I assume you are open to direct messages by interested parties?

Jack

Jack,

I will definitely post my findings on this thread. However, if you would like to send me a direct message, I am very open to receiving them. I will try to respond quickly but I am not very well versed in the use of this website.

Joe

I think very highly of Joe. I've been dealing with him for right at a year now and have nothing but high remarks for him and the work he does for us.

Joe, if it's the whole aircraft being insured, I would think the serial number recorded at the time of coverage initiation would be used, and that would be the one on box or aircraft tag. Much like an automobile or motorcycle that has a VIN number. Internal components may have serial numbers of their own, much like your car radio or air bag does. The fun begins when the body is changed, or the original serial number cannot be obtained.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20