Very Disappointed.

Reaction score
My range sucks. End of story.

I have upgraded the antenna.. Tried it with the 5dBi,8dBi,11dBi. I have reached 3200ft one time. I'm flying in open farm land. No trees no interference.
I'm in FCC mode and I set my software to 1.5 miles so the software isn't holding it back.

I'm out of ideas.

Wonder if I try to link it with a different remote if I could get more distance.

So frustrated.

Gonefishing51077 said:
My range sucks. End of story.

I have upgraded the antenna.. Tried it with the 5dBi,8dBi,11dBi. I have reached 3200ft one time. I'm flying in open farm land. No trees no interference.
I'm in FCC mode and I set my software to 1.5 miles so the software isn't holding it back.

I'm out of ideas.

Wonder if I try to link it with a different remote if I could get more distance.

So frustrated.

You're not going to like this, but the FAA says you cannot fly beyond visual line of sight. So basically you are bummed that you cannot exceed what the FAA dictates??

Yea I know. I keep seeing all these post about how far people are getting on stock remotes and I'm not getting near that with upgrades.

Actually at 2200ft at our ranch you can still see it great at dusk with the flashing lights.

Gonefishing51077 said:
Yea I know. I keep seeing all these post about how far people are getting on stock remotes and I'm not getting near that with upgrades.

Actually at 2200ft at our ranch you can still see it great at dusk with the flashing lights.

You have one amazing set of eyes!! :eek:

SilentAV8R said:
Gonefishing51077 said:

You have one amazing set of eyes!! :eek:

yes.

At 150 meters i loose sight of quad as its too small.

:ugeek:

Did a stage 2 upgrade to transmitter /wifi and antennae upgrade on bird side - over 6200 feet vertical and 2 miles horizontal. No issues other than wifi tx on bird side is intermittent. Bought a new tx box from uavproducts.com but haven't replaced yet. The only thing holding back my PV2+ is battery life.

Gonefishing51077, I thought I explained to you a week ago in another thread why you were not getting any distance? You can not just upgrade one set of antennas. If you upgrade the 5.8 transmitter, you also have to upgrade the 5.8 on the quad. You can get away with only doing the rear 5.8 on the quad and do the front one later on. If you upgrade the 2.4 range extender, then you must upgrade the camera 2.4 antennas on the quad. I would be shocked that Tony did not explain this to you prior to selling you any antennas. By doing one set of antennas you will probably only see 1000-1200ft in distance. If you are getting 600-900ft then you probably have a bad solder connection or a broken wire.

Gonefishing51077 said:

I am not at all surprised. Those lights are BRIGHT! And in clear air (as in out west) I can imagine the great visibility. Here in our area on the east coast (thick, wet air) I am lucky to see it at 1000 ft in the daylight, but can see it at almost 1500 ft at night.

flyNfrank said:
Gonefishing51077, I thought I explained to you a week ago in another thread why you were not getting any distance? You can not just upgrade one set of antennas. If you upgrade the 5.8 transmitter, you also have to upgrade the 5.8 on the quad. You can get away with only doing the rear 5.8 on the quad and do the front one later on. If you upgrade the 2.4 range extender, then you must upgrade the camera 2.4 antennas on the quad. I would be shocked that Tony did not explain this to you prior to selling you any antennas. By doing one set of antennas you will probably only see 1000-1200ft in distance. If you are getting 600-900ft then you probably have a bad solder connection or a broken wire.
I think I disagree Frank. If I understand you correctly, either end of the comm link will improve the propagation to some degree. Obviously not as well as if you improve both ends, but unless your are screwing with the polarization, those photons/waves won't know the difference.

:) Silentav8r

It's actually very easy to see out here. I'm flying at 130ft and at 2100ft-ish you can see it perfect at night. In the day time it's a different story but at night you can see it super clear. In fact my father in law and nephew kept asking why the lights would start blinking yellow when it was way out there. I told them that meant it lost signal.
It does make me wonder if we will be able to see this far in the summer. The past few nights it has been 45 degrees with super light wind. Very crisp evenings. Like I said before it is super flat and we are on a 1500 acre ranch with nothing around for miles. The sky only glows from the stars. No city light to help drown out drone lights. It's perfect place to fly and bring my kids.No. Just today. :D

At night in dark skies & clear air I can see the LEDs from well over a mile. A few weeks ago at over 4500' I could actually see the rear LEDs switch from green to yellow flashing when she lost control signal and RTH engaged.

flyNfrank said:

'slothead' is correct - upgrading the pilot side antenna will give massive boosts without touching the bird at all. Yes doing both the pilot and bird side will improve even more, but suggesting it makes no difference and is pointless is incorrect.

Regards,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 409
^^^^ perhaps my version of that antenna was crap or something.... is it the 14dbi one ?
I found I couldn't go up past 400 ft.. R/C TX would die... stock antenna had better results... going horizontal was pretty good.. but still eeeh.

slothead said:
I think I disagree Frank. If I understand you correctly, either end of the comm link will improve the propagation to some degree. Obviously not as well as if you improve both ends, but unless your are screwing with the polarization, those photons/waves won't know the difference.

I'm not a antenna pro by any means, but what I had to say comes from my personal experience of going through the exact same thing using Tony's stage 3 antennas. He told me the same thing about matching the antennas which was due to polarization. I had my doubts but the man was right on target.

Loaderbull said:
flyNfrank said:

'slothead' is correct - upgrading the pilot side antenna will give massive boosts without touching the bird at all. Yes doing both the pilot and bird side will improve even more, but suggesting it makes no difference and is pointless is incorrect.

Regards,

"but suggesting it makes no difference and is pointless is incorrect."

I bet if you read what I said again you would feel different about that remark.

flyNfrank said:

This just isn't true, mostly sales hype....the stock antenna's on the bird side are very efficient, and in my opinion any added weight on the bird side is ultimately a hindrance to battery life, which is the foremost opponent of long range flight....

That being said, moving the 2G4's out of the battery compartment and into a fore and aft configuration seems to be a plus...couple that slight mod with focused directional antenna's driven by high mw amps and you get the 3.8 mile flights like DBS, or the 3.2 mile flight I achieved...neither of which were accomplished using the waypoint features, where you can literally 'set it and forget it'.....

M.Tigelaar's pic of his $15 ebay flat panel and it's measurable results should be an eye opener....

mede8er said:
M.Tigelaar's pic of his $15 ebay flat panel and it's measurable results should be an eye opener....

For what it's worth: I also used the booster app ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 382

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj