Vertical Studio

Reaction score
If anyone has used Vertical Studio, would you happen to know if there a safety distance before the copter reaches the wall that it stops at?
Many thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Are you referring to a P4?

No, the Vertical Studio app...

I don't believe vertical has this feature... It only has the follow feature...

Enviado de meu XT1225 usando Tapatalk

It has a wall feature and you can download it for free for both Android and iOS. The free version will not allow you to record videos.

Here is a happy snap showing this feature.
347c1dd4b9b552485b68cb2f92de5a8a.jpg

Maybe you found that 'magic' distance that I'm referring to :))

Maybe you found that 'magic' distance that I'm referring to :))

There is no set distance. The wall is quite thick and 'mushy', which causes the quad to stop relatively gradually.

Vertical are working on making the wall a bit thinner allowing for more accurate setting. We have also asked for an audible alarm to sound as the quad approaches the wall. They agreed to look at that.

Reactions: DCB
I played with Vertical Studio today and was very pleased with it. Follow mode was pretty good and the wall feature worked perfectly. It stopped right at the edge of the wall. The only minor concern that I have is that when I use DJI Go, I tone down the controls a little so that the movements are not so severe. I couldn't find a place to do that with VS so, consequently, the joystick responses appeared to be very touchy but I soon got used to that.

Last edited:
I played yesterday too with vertical studio. Tracking works fine but when i try to move my p3 controls on the RC are too slow in responsivness and aggressive then in movement. The risk to loose control of the bird and crash it are very high...is this behaviour normal with vertical?

I played with Vertical Studio today and was very pleased with it. Follow mode was pretty good and the wall feature worked perfectly. It stopped right at the edge of the wall. The only minor concern that I have is that when I use DJI Go, I tone down the controls a little so that the movements are not so severe. I couldn't find a place to do that with VS so, consequently, the joystick responses appeared to be very touchy but I soon got used to that.

I played yesterday too with vertical studio. Tracking works fine but when i try to move my p3 controls on the RC are too slow in responsivness and aggressive then in movement. The risk to loose control of the bird and crash it are very high...is this behaviour normal with vertical?

I too have experienced this. As a matter of fact I had just tried Litchi Leash minutes before and experienced the exact same behavior. Identical! Because of this both apps, in current form, are unusable for me. Rarely do I fly in such wide open spaces where I wouldn't need to worry. I came very close to crashing with Vertical Studio app and will be very reluctant to tryst it again for anything but Walls.

Reactions: StevenQX
The walls feature is quite good but too thick and imprecise the tracking has potential but as with the P4 fails to maintain track on sharp turns or speed of any degree. I have also experienced erratic behaviour giving the feeling my P3 was at risk.

What I really don't get is the green box will "watch" the subject leave the screen, the bird/camera just doesn't follow.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the great feedback. If you've followed the other threads, you know me already. If not - I'm Neil and I lead the Vertical Team. The controls issue is quite strange you're all right and we're working to smooth things out a lot. I'd love your feedback on this as we progress. Some people seem to think its too slow and some think it's too aggressive which, as you can expect has caused some confusion within the team. :p

We know it "feels" different because it's not an internal DJI controller. However we're working with DJI closely to improve this. So it will for sure get better with time. For now, what we could do is enable more damping on the control.

Follow mode? You mean Focus mode... I found focus to work well, but my version of Vertical has no follow mode. Not quite a P4 yet....:)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

When using Follow mode or Focus mode in Vertical Studio, does the subject your following have to have the R/C on their person or can it be any subject? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

When using Follow mode or Focus mode in Vertical Studio, does the subject your following have to have the R/C on their person or can it be any subject? Thanks!
The subject does not have to have any device or connection with the drone. You simply outline the subject to be followed on the display and the app will then attempt to maintain a camera lock on that subject. Note that the app does not actually move the drone to "follow" the subject matter. You still have to control the forward, reverse, sideways movement of the drone and, while doing so, it will try and keep the camera focussed on the subject.

Reactions: Neil Mathew

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl