Vacationing in Hocking Hills, can I fly in State Park?

Reaction score
Looking for some insight and if this is aloud in the park. I am going on vacation to Hocking Hills State Park in Ohio. I wanted to take my P3S for some pictures at Old Man's cave and the Falls. Looking at the websites for the park, I can't find anything on flying or not. If I can't, no biggie. I can't find anything one way or the other. Just thought it would be nice to get some different shots of the sights.

If anybody knows, that would be great to find out. I thought about contacting the park office to see. Is that what I need to do also?

Thanks,
Nick

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I researched this myself before flying in an Ohio State Park. The rules include the following statement:

"No person shall take off, or ascend within or from the lands or waters administered by the division in any airplane, flying machine, balloon, glider, or other aerial apparatus except with permission from the chief or from those lands or waters where maintained landing zones are located; or to voluntarily bring, land or alight, within or upon the land or waters administered by the division, in any airplane, flying machine, balloon, parachute or other aerial apparatus except with permission from the chief or at designated airfields. Any person landing or taking off from the waters of the division as permitted by this rule may use the waters of the division as necessary to taxi between such landing area and a service or docking area. "Voluntarily" as used in this rule shall mean anything other than a landing made in emergency conditions."

To me, this means I can take off or land within state park property as long as I am not IN the vehicle. I could find no reference anywhere that restricts the use of UAVs in Ohio State Parks. This could change one day. In the meantime, avoid people, be respectful and professional when flying. I flew my P3P at Harrison Lake S.P. last month. There were not many people there at the time, few people saw me, and no one confronted me. I had found a remote clearing for take-off and landing, and buzzed around the lake. The only trouble I had was from turkey buzzards! Good luck.

http://parks.ohiodnr.gov/rules - see

Reactions: Nickster
I researched this myself before flying in an Ohio State Park. The rules include the following statement:

"No person shall take off, or ascend within or from the lands or waters administered by the division in any airplane, flying machine, balloon, glider, or other aerial apparatus except with permission from the chief or from those lands or waters where maintained landing zones are located; or to voluntarily bring, land or alight, within or upon the land or waters administered by the division, in any airplane, flying machine, balloon, parachute or other aerial apparatus except with permission from the chief or at designated airfields. Any person landing or taking off from the waters of the division as permitted by this rule may use the waters of the division as necessary to taxi between such landing area and a service or docking area. "Voluntarily" as used in this rule shall mean anything other than a landing made in emergency conditions."

To me, this means I can take off or land within state park property as long as I am not IN the vehicle. I could find no reference anywhere that restricts the use of UAVs in Ohio State Parks. This could change one day. In the meantime, avoid people, be respectful and professional when flying. I flew my P3P at Harrison Lake S.P. last month. There were not many people there at the time, few people saw me, and no one confronted me. I had found a remote clearing for take-off and landing, and buzzed around the lake. The only trouble I had was from turkey buzzards! Good luck.

http://parks.ohiodnr.gov/rules - see
That is what I was looking for. Thanks for finding that. I missed it. Like you said, doesn't specifically state anything for UAVs. I will probably call the park office to verify. Thanks again.

See this post from other thread I had. Thanks for the help. Called the park about it and this is what I found out. Flying in state parks in Ohio.

For what it is worth now that you called and they ARE NOW thinking about drones I bet they have called up the chain of command and it wont be long before someone decides they better make a NEW rule.....

Just my thought about asking. If no signs posted I fly, if told not to I would land ....
But that's me.!

Reactions: mrcrane2u
Probably, but I would rather be safe than sorry. They were very nice about it and appreciative that I called before.

So, after being at these parks, I can see why the park recommended not to fly this time of year. There are only about 3 locations where there is enough room to maneuver and you will have to do just about all of it in ATTI mode since there is not much reception at all or open areas to get GPS. Plus, there are too many people around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik