V3 Remote Antenna Mod

Reaction score
Well I did the pilot side antenna mod on my V3 remote to give it a nice big antenna. Basic stuff to be sure. But I took a few pics during the process and made a quick Youtube video. About the only different thing in my video is I also put in a slide about (optionally) removing the "down lock" (which I hate) from the left joystick while you have the remote open anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxIfoG6_BE8

IMG_20150220_120910.jpg

And now, clearly, it's time to throw out that banana!

:D
Great post and video Robert!

MHL

Good job on the video. What made you decide to use the 2.4 and not a 5.8? Also you never did say any results you got from the mod. Any good results?

flyNfrank said:
Good job on the video. What made you decide to use the 2.4 and not a 5.8? Also you never did say any results you got from the mod. Any good results?

2.4 and 5.8 are harmonic's. All 2.4ghz antennas work equally well for 5.8ghz.

I haven't taken this remote out for a good test yet. My old remote used to get me 500m. I used this mod and managed to get up to 1970m (6463 feet or about 1.2 miles). So I'm expecting good results.

1970m.png

robinb said:
What did you do to get video at this distance ?

Nothing special. For some freaky reason I always get video. Once I had to replace my WiFi module and since then I've had spectacular video. So far as I know my WiFi unit is nothing different from the stock units but it works great. I have it dialed down to a low preview level but that's all. I always run out of control range before I run out of video. One thing that helps - this range test was done over open water so no obstructions. It was also in extremely rural Canada so a very quiet WiFi zone. In a big city things would be a lot different. I've decided to add a pair of external 3dbi antenna to the drone for my WiFi signal. That may help in the US where WiFi noise is a bigger problem.

Amazing.

I have ordered up a set of wifi antenna's and patch leads from your other posting.
Not sure I quite want that range yet as my nerves would get the better of me :)

rbhamilton said:
flyNfrank said:

2.4 and 5.8 are harmonic's. All 2.4ghz antennas work equally well for 5.8ghz.

I haven't taken this remote out for a good test yet. My old remote used to get me 500m. I used this mod and managed to get up to 1970m (6463 feet or about 1.2 miles). So I'm expecting good results.

Your distance results are right on target. Are you using any app with a boost feature?

flyNfrank said:
Are you using any app with a boost feature?

I tried the one on here that was being promoted a while back. Because I wasn't having any video issues I don't know why or what I expected. Anyway it didn't do anything so I stopped using it.

Then I used it just once for fun a few months later and that very flight my WiFi transmitter died. Coincidence? Maybe. But I blame that app for overloading my WiFi transmitter.

I mean think about it... the WiFi is beaming out a signal. That takes power. Power means heat. If that app did anything it must increase the power output. If you increase the power output you are bound to increase the heat too. Those WiFi modules are already prone to overheating.

Anyway *BOOM* and I was looking at $185 for a new WiFi module.

Since then I did the Arctic Silver mod to help get rid of excess heat and no more booster app for me!

I did order a pair of 3dbi external antenna for my WiFi. Like I say, I'm not having any video issues but I'm hoping I will be able to increase my preview quality a bit. And it doesn't hurt to have a more solid WiFi connection. Probably don't need to mess with things but the mod looks super easy so why not?

So, TP Link TL-ANT2408C and cable? Nothing more?

I´m too scared too go further than like 500m, I loose both control and video, dont get it how you get video 2km away? :eek:

SkinFluteSwe said:
So, TP Link TL-ANT2408C and cable? Nothing more?

Yep. Just the TP link. That's it. Well that and a very quiet WiFi zone with zero obstructions out over the lake. I was actually more than 2km away (2106m) but I was too slow to grab a screen shot. On the internet the rule is "Pics or it didn't happen" so I'm just claiming the 1970m I have in the pic.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20