V3 is it possible to have overheating WiFi issue again?

Reaction score
I just received v3 on Friday, did all necessary updates, calibrations and went for first flight.
After a few minutes FPV was frozen while telemetry was still smoothly updated. I reminds me known issue with overheated WiFi module in PV+, but I was thinking that DJI solved this issue already some time ago.
Does somebody else has V3 with problems of freezing FPV video? Do you think that the WiFi module is still responsible for it (I would like to avoid to start my new experience with v3 form sending it back for service).

Yes its entirely possible. They have ignored the final output mosfets and just thrown a heat/emi shield over them with no thermal compound or pad. They lather thermal compound all over the outside of it but it makes no contact with the components within. Its more sheer lunacy on the part of DJI.

Burlbark, would still like to see some images via your Flir. It would be extremely helpful. I don't believe any thermal compound is applied to the outside of the emi shield in V3, based only on photos seen.

tsoban - Burlbark is right about DJI, can't confirm how the V3 is heatsinked but can assume more of the same. Drop your preview resolution to 15fps at 640x480, it should resolve the issue to allow it to at least work. Otherwise drop it down until you find a working preview resolution. Or you can ship it off for the 8 week support visit (if US).

RichWest said:
tsoban - Burlbark is right about DJI, can't confirm how the V3 is heatsinked but can assume more of the same. Drop your preview resolution to 15fps at 640x480, it should resolve the issue to allow it to at least work. Otherwise drop it down until you find a working preview resolution. Or you can ship it off for the 8 week support visit (if US).

I was already using 640 at 15fps, going down to 320 starts to be non-practical, other strange think is that now we have only +1C here in Finland, and the FPV working time is not longer than indoors (+22C), I would expect that if heat distribution is a problem 21C difference in ambient temperature should give me some extra FPV time.
So I will need to fix it somehow, what you recommend:
1. Ask for unit replacement (I will get new one but there is a chance to have this or other problem again);
2. Send it to warranty repair (it will get some time but maybe in service they learned already how to fix it properly);
3. Do it myself (instead of paying for shipment of phantom, buy thermal paste and try to fix it ).
For me option 2 seem to be most reasonable but DJI service in Germany is really slooooow (battery replacement takes 5 weeks).

Sure, you hope they've learned something in service to resolve... but why not from the get-go? I believe there are multiple levels of issues, thermal is just the beginning....But I agree, send it off and wait...you weren't provided with what was promised. Good luck!

RichWest said:
Burlbark, would still like to see some images via your Flir. It would be extremely helpful. I don't believe any thermal compound is applied to the outside of the emi shield in V3, based only on photos seen.

I have not had a v3 wifi unit sent to me. Your wording here is a little misleading, let me try.

There is no thermal compound applied to the outside shell of the wifi transmitter. The final output mosfets are located under a emi thermal heatsinking shield inside the wifi unit. This heat/emi shield is then thermally linked to the shell of the wifi transmitter with thermal grease. Unfortunately the final output mosfets are under this shielding and do not have any contact with this shielding and can over heat. I have been opening it up and applying thermal paste to these final output fets with great success. I have had zero units fail now after nearing 4 months. Here is another one I did today along with improved GPS antenna.

Attachments

• gpswifi1216 002.JPG
    gpswifi1216 002.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 519
  • gpswifi1216 003.JPG
    gpswifi1216 003.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 498
  • gpswifi1216 006.JPG
    gpswifi1216 006.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 545
I wish I read your posts earlier burlbark.
I had a wifi unit slowly failing on me.
I could never get 640*480@30fps from the get go and I thought it was my phone. 640x480@15 fps worked fine for a while and because I never flew distance, it was never bench tested.

Summer came and I noticed that I could only stream 320x240@30fps. I realised that heat was affecting the FPV. It was too late by then. The cost and time to send back to DJI wasn't economical as they wanted the whole unit sent back.
I bought a second hand wifi unit and doing the artic silver 5 paste as we speak.

I don't know who inspected the wifi module design, but they should of added heatsinks/fans. Using a thermo-pad and some white monkey grease is a joke! You are right that the grease barely touches the case. Maybe they were foreward thinking and understood thermo dynamics and took into consideration of how much metal expands with heat to make the grease work... Nah.. they couldn't be that smart..

Anyways, thank you burlbark. You are a legend in my books.

Not intended as misleading, but in the context of what you replied to: "V3 is it possible to have overheating WiFi issue again?"

burlbark said:
Yes its entirely possible. They have ignored the final output mosfets and just thrown a heat/emi shield over them with no thermal compound or pad. They lather thermal compound all over the outside of it but it makes no contact with the components within. Its more sheer lunacy on the part of DJI.

It appeared you had confirmed they had. My misunderstanding, just didn't want others to have read the same as I. It was worth you calling me out for the sake of clarity.

Mako79, Am I in your book as well... ;)

Mako79 said:
I wish I read your posts earlier burlbark.
I had a wifi unit slowly failing on me.
I could never get 640*480@30fps from the get go and I thought it was my phone. 640x480@15 fps worked fine for a while and because I never flew distance, it was never bench tested.

Summer came and I noticed that I could only stream 320x240@30fps. I realised that heat was affecting the FPV. It was too late by then. The cost and time to send back to DJI wasn't economical as they wanted the whole unit sent back.
I bought a second hand wifi unit and doing the artic silver 5 paste as we speak.

I don't know who inspected the wifi module design, but they should of added heatsinks/fans. Using a thermo-pad and some white monkey grease is a joke! You are right that the grease barely touches the case. Maybe they were foreward thinking and understood thermo dynamics and took into consideration of how much metal expands with heat to make the grease work... Nah.. they couldn't be that smart..

Anyways, thank you burlbark. You are a legend in my books.

Thanks.... I just hate seeing things not done 100%. I started this thread some months back to try and save all the existing wifi units. The problem is most people that didnt have a problem thought it would never happen to them.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28176

RichWest said:
Not intended as misleading, but in the context of what you replied to: "V3 is it possible to have overheating WiFi issue again?"

burlbark said:

It appeared you had confirmed they had. My misunderstanding, just didn't want others to have read the same as I. It was worth you calling me out for the sake of clarity.

Mako79, Am I in your book as well... ;)

I never meant to call you out Rich, its just really important that we keep everything as clear as possible. ;)

I have a faulty 3.0 (L.E.D goes out while on flight) see what I have posted.

I have ALSO had same problem with FPV locking up. If my replacement does it again... Sending it back and not purchasing another. This is my 3rd unit. :(

Sorry for O/T but can you please tell us how difficult it is to change the antenna on the GPS?
I've seen this mod come up a few times now. Looks like the antenna can be purchased for like $5 so looks like worthwhile 'investment' :]
Do you just need to solder the connector on the gps module/antenna ?? or is solder required in a few spots ? and how difficult is it to remove the old one ? Is it just held on with adhesive like the new one is ?

Thanks

burlbark said:
RichWest said:

I have not had a v3 wifi unit sent to me. Your wording here is a little misleading, let me try.

There is no thermal compound applied to the outside shell of the wifi transmitter. The final output mosfets are located under a emi thermal heatsinking shield inside the wifi unit. This heat/emi shield is then thermally linked to the shell of the wifi transmitter with thermal grease. Unfortunately the final output mosfets are under this shielding and do not have any contact with this shielding and can over heat. I have been opening it up and applying thermal paste to these final output fets with great success. I have had zero units fail now after nearing 4 months. Here is another one I did today along with improved GPS antenna.

tritontr21 said:

I have ALSO had same problem with FPV locking up. If my replacement does it again... Sending it back and not purchasing another. This is my 3rd unit. :(

Why wouldnt you be preemptive and fix it before it fails, or send it to me and save yourself the grief? PM me....

justin00 said:
Sorry for O/T but can you please tell us how difficult it is to change the antenna on the GPS?
I've seen this mod come up a few times now. Looks like the antenna can be purchased for like $5 so looks like worthwhile 'investment' :]
Do you just need to solder the connector on the gps module/antenna ?? or is solder required in a few spots ? and how difficult is it to remove the old one ? Is it just held on with adhesive like the new one is ?

Thanks

Lets bring this conversation back to this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=29100

burlbark said:
tritontr21 said:

Why wouldnt you be preemptive and fix it before it fails, or send it to me and save yourself the grief? PM me....
It's the ESC and it's new. Sending it back for replacement. Using warranty while I can.

I'm Def gonna do the thermal paste mode when I get it. That's for certain. I have tubes of AS that need using. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic