UV/CPL & ND Filters

Reaction score
I have read many helpful posts here regarding the use of these. So UV/CPL are used for still shots and ND filters are used for vids. Already have ND filters and will get UV/CPL soon. Just wanted to know...do you put on the UV/CPL, send the bird up to take still shots only, then land it and change to ND filters for vids? Kinda time consuming if that's the case. I have read people using ND filters for still shots as well.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

ND and PL filters are not just for one type of photography. They can be used for either still or video and the two filters do completely different things. You should read up on why you should use ND and why you should use PL. I have posted some detailed posts on the subject describing what the filters do and how it all works.

This is one of them:
Which Package is Best?

It really depends on the shoot. Once you are more familiar and comfortable with what they do (Wofiesden's post looks helpful), you could best make the decision on a case by case basis yourself.

That said, if you're already up in the air with an ND filter shooting video, then want to take stills, take a look at the shutter settings while pointed at what you want to shoot. It will be a slower shutter because of the filter, but if the speed is acceptable, then take the shot.

But in general, if you're shooting a bunch of A filter type shots, then want to take a lot of B filter type shots, then yes: landing and swapping is the best thing to do for your shoot if you want the best results. It is also strongly recommended to also swap out the battery at this point — taking off again with a partially depleted battery is asking for trouble.

Chris

Yep. Learn. Find out WHY you need an ND. What it does and when to use it. Same for a PL.

Its an old phrase but Knowledge is power really fits here. Knowing what and why will help you decide when.

A gray overcast day may not be the best choice for an ND but may be a prime opportunity for a PL. Read the article I posted about the ND and PL use. It will help you understand what they do. Once you get an understanding what the do, then go experiment. SEE what they do. Try them in different environments, different angles, etc. Thats the best teacher.

If you want some more reading loosely related, try this:
Can anybody help with camera settings ?

Thanks, already using ND filters and know why I need them for certain situations. Haven't had the time to purchase CPL yet so just thought to ask the question. It's mostly bright sun where I live so I use ND8 and ND16 a lot. I've taken some still shots with them on and it doesn't look bad.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik