UT Austin pilot DETAINED(edited for all the babies out there

Re: UT Austin arrest

Your title is very misleading as there was no mention of an arrest, only that they questioned him and no charges were filed. I also found it interesting the comments on the story virtually ignored the story and was more about immigration and lefties.

This is getting more screwed up by the minute. Fines for each picture taken by Texas law? lmfao. What about cell phone video and pictures from inside the arenas, or in the parking lots. Why is it legal for planes to fly over and take picture of your fricking house and not a drone? How about those Google earth f'ers? This isn't about safety or privacy...it's about power and politics. those with the money can do whatever they please at a whim. Talk about dangerous, what about those unmanned Goggle ******* Cars> I'm am sick of this Country....we're living in a police state.

LuvMyTJ said:
Your title is very misleading as there was no mention of an arrest, only that they questioned him and no charges were filed. I also found it interesting the comments on the story virtually ignored the story and was more about immigration and lefties.

"...taken into custody..."

Yeah lol.. didn't even want to argue that one. I doubt any charges were pressed but who knows. FAA might try and come at him with a fine.

RobertMfromLI said:
LuvMyTJ said:

"...taken into custody..."
From the story - Officers located the operator, a UT student, who was detained and transported to the police station. The drone was seized, the student identified, questioned and released pending further investigation.

That is not being arrested, he was questioned only... so far.

Let me just edit that title to "detained" instead of arrest. I think everyone got the picture. I was just trying to show an article that was close to home.. it would suck for me or any of my fellow flyers to even get detained. Not sure about you but for me being detained and them wasting my time is the same thing as being arrested, my lawyers will throw it out anyways.

DHS can declare events that draw large crowds like football games as National Security Events.
All bets are off when that happens. They can ban over flights, protests, etc....
Also, I have said it before "Disorderly Conduct" is the best catch all charge local police can use. Once they figure that out drones and FPV pilots are in for a legal mess if they are not careful.

Disorderly conduct can only be used if what I like to call, "Acting a fool" comes into play. An example would be peeling out at a stop sign, to then 360 at the next corner. 9/10 you're going to jail for reckless endangerment.. Yes you can be charged with disorderly conduct and booked, but when you go to court any public defender can get you off. My rule is to be 100% respectful no matter who's in front of you, including police and civilians when flying and record everything! My cell phone always has the voice recorder on in my pocket. It's going to be really hard for a judge or jury to find you guilty on disorderly conduct for flying a Phantom safely even more so when the flights being recorded.

I think you're right though and every phantom pilot needs to be even more cautious when we fly. If anyone has been watching the news lately you know why.. I live pretty close to the Mexico border and its getting scarier every day.

No, being detained and arrested are NOT the same.

Neither are misdemeanor and felony. Or dark grey and black. Or chinese food and thai food. They are similar. Not the same. Very misleading headline.

FRS said:
Let me just edit that title to "detained" instead of arrest. I think everyone got the picture. I was just trying to show an article that was close to home.. it would suck for me or any of my fellow flyers to even get detained. Not sure about you but for me being detained and them wasting my time is the same thing as being arrested, my lawyers will throw it out anyways.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20