Using wifi only iPad Air 2

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been using the site for a month or so, first time posting.
I'm interested in using my iPad Air 2 with my phantom 3 pro, but it's wifi only. Can I use this? Are there any drawbacks without having a cellular signal when flying?
Appreciate your thoughts and comments!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It's okay to fly with a Wi-Fi only device. Here are the most common drawbacks:

1) If you want to be able to see the maps while flying, you'll need to cache them beforehand in a place where you have an Internet connection.
2) You will not be able to use the Follow Me feature.
3) You will not be able to reset the home point to your current location after takeoff.

The last two items aren't as commonly used, but they are the only reason you need GPS on your mobile device. If you find you need to add GPS to a Wi-Fi only device later, you could do so by using a Bluetooth GPS receiver (like one of these).

Reactions: Meta4
2) You will not be able to use the Follow Me feature.
3) You will not be able to reset the home point to your current location after takeoff.

His ipad doesnt have 3G, but Im sure it has a GPS, so why wouldnt the above 2 things work?

His ipad doesnt have 3G, but Im sure it has a GPS, so why wouldnt the above 2 things work?
Wi-Fi only Apple devices do not contain GPS receivers.

Airplane Mode is suggested to block any interruption while flying, therefor no 2 & 3 above?
So it's just a choice you have to make at the time I guess.

Airplane Mode is suggested to block any interruption while flying, therefor no 2 & 3 above?
On an Apple device, enabling airplane mode does not disable GPS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic