Using remote record buttons gives lower quality?

Reaction score
I just watched a tutorial video from an Australian forum where the presenter says he gets better quality video if he uses the tablet/phone app record button rather than the actual button on the remote with the P3. Just wondering if anyone on here has noticed a difference. Here is a link to the video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
He explains it at 8:09 onwards

He may be right but can't say with full surety . I have been noticing good and slightly inferior shots and was unable to figure out the cause. I will now try his tricks to check if that was the reason of few bad shots.

I just watched a tutorial video from an Australian forum where the presenter says he gets better quality video if he uses the tablet/phone app record button rather than the actual button on the remote with the P3. Just wondering if anyone on here has noticed a difference. Here is a link to the video
He explains it at 8:09 onwards
Wow, that's very interesting. I will for sure need to check this out the next time I'm in the air. Thanks for posting.

I definitely notice a delay if it is switching modes (between photo or video). I will have to try this...but man I can't think the signal sent the phantom via the RC is different between the two. But I could see how it could glitch out when switching between photo and video and get stuck with the wrong settings. I also feel like the delay is getting longer between photo and video....but that could be in my head...

I definitely notice a delay if it is switching modes (between photo or video). I will have to try this...but man I can't think the signal sent the phantom via the RC is different between the two. But I could see how it could glitch out when switching between photo and video and get stuck with the wrong settings. I also feel like the delay is getting longer between photo and video....but that could be in my head...
I would call it an urban legend. Both the buttons on the app and the RC give the same command to recording. Why would DJI deliberately worsen the quality if you use the RC buttons?

Reactions: GunnyPapa and Meta4
I would call it an urban legend. Both the buttons on the app and the RC give the same command to recording. Why would DJI deliberately worsen the quality if you use the RC buttons?
I tend to believe you, but I guess like everything else we should do our own testing. But this guy seems to believe it and even posts comparison videos (in the tutorial).

Reactions: rene van der meer
I cant see how this could be true but im intrigued to have a play next time im out just to see if there is any truth in this theory!!

He talked in the video that it could be when you switch modes. When you are in photo mode and you hit video it starts differently than if you are already in video. I could see it performing better maybe if it was already in video mode. Without a mode change I can't think it would be different. He may have accidentally changed another setting too...

Here are two videos where one had a switch from photo mode....which looks better? Check your YouTube settings to make sure they are the same for both...

Example 1

Example 2

Here are two videos where one had a switch from photo mode....which looks better? Check your YouTube settings to make sure they are the same for both...

Example 1

Example 2
It looks like the lighting changed. Are you sure the difference is caused by using the app or the RC recording button?

It looks like the lighting changed. Are you sure the difference is caused by using the app or the RC recording button?
DJI arnt going to bring out such a high quality product that enthesis's video and picture quality(albeit not the best) but certainly not the standard the OP recorded where by the quality of picture recorded depends on whether you use the buttons on the RC or the app on your device. I use both when i record footage and never experienced any difference in quality!!

I definitely agree with you the delay is getting longer mine is about 2-3 seconds bloody ridiculous!!

I definitely agree with you the delay is getting longer mine is about 2-3 seconds bloody ridiculous!!
If you are shooting several photo's in RAW mode, it will take some time to store the data on the SD-card. That could explain the delay.
But this was not the original question: is there a difference in quality if you record using the App or the buttons on the RC?
It looks like there is no difference, as we expected.

They certainly wouldn't "deliberately" worsen quality. Same as they didn't deliberately code the recent battery issues. Same as they didn't deliberately code VPS issues, horizon issues and drift issues to name a few from prior FW.

However unlikely this report seems to be, based on DJI's long demonstrated track record of buggy software I will be giving it the benefit of the doubt and trying it myself.

DJI arnt going to bring out such a high quality product that enthesis's video and picture quality(albeit not the best) but certainly not the standard the OP recorded where by the quality of picture recorded depends on whether you use the buttons on the RC or the app on your device. I use both when i record footage and never experienced any difference in quality!!
The original poster of the video says it is a "Bug" in the software. It is not inconceivable that bugs of this type do occur and DJI's record is not perfect is it? If it was really true (difference in quality) I would expect at least some of you on here to have noticed by now. The fact that no one else has "discovered " this leads me to think that it is in fact not true or not discernible. If anyone else notices a difference please post on here.

They certainly wouldn't "deliberately" worsen quality. Same as they didn't deliberately code the recent battery issues. Same as they didn't deliberately code VPS issues, horizon issues and drift issues to name a few from prior FW.

However unlikely this report seems to be, based on DJI's long demonstrated track record of buggy software I will be giving it the benefit of the doubt and trying it myself.
Software will always contain mistakes. If you hit the record button on the app or the RC it will give the same command to the firmware to start recording. Changing the quality for either of them, would require some extra function which must be added deliberately. Which does not make sense. The other issues are software mistakes.
The original poster of the video says it is a "Bug" in the software. It is not inconceivable that bugs of this type do occur and DJI's record is not perfect is it? If it was really true (difference in quality) I would expect at least some of you on here to have noticed by now. The fact that no one else has "discovered " this leads me to think that it is in fact not true or not discernible. If anyone else notices a difference please post on here.

I agree. I think we can close this thread unless someone finds evidence that the quality actually does change.

If you are shooting several photo's in RAW mode, it will take some time to store the data on the SD-card. That could explain the delay.
But this was not the original question: is there a difference in quality if you record using the App or the buttons on the RC?
It looks like there is no difference, as we expected.
I know that wasnt the original question i was just responding to the delay point therealNick made if you had read my earlier post i responded to the original question plus i dont shoot in raw and this is only a fairly new occurance the delay never used to be that long!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.