Using Phantom during fireworks

Reaction score
I attended a 4th of July fireworks event on Monday. As expected the park was packed- thousands of people enjoying food stands, face painting, and even some kids rides. As it approached 9pm everyone gathered for the fireworks, and I see some guy going through the collaboration of his Phantom. I am thinking to myself, there is no way this guy is going to launch a Phantom in a huge crowed with less then 8ft of clearance between him and the nearest group. As I continued to watch him, all indications were he was going for it. I thought of approaching him to compliment his choice of a Phantom and politely remind him of FAA rules, not to mention safety. I don't know if this is true, but I have heard the Phantom propellors spin so fast they can take off a finger. Whether that is true or not, launching in a crowed is reckless. That's when it occurred to me that if a grown adult (over 50) doesn't have the sound judgment to realize this was a poor idea, then I don't think he will be open to my comments. So I asked a nearby Police Officer to assess the situation. It stayed off and I could enjoy the show with my familiar without worrying about a drone dropping on my head. I love my P4, but there is a time and place for these things.

Reactions: BigAl07
I've seen some pretty sweet fireworks footage via phantoms, but I wouldn't risk damage to my bird by flying one around fireworks myself. I can't say that I'd have notified the police about him though.

What's the big deal? Its a little plastic toy. I am sure you drove there in a 3000lb machine 70 mph did you not? How many people are killed by phantoms per year? None! Over 30,000 death in 2014 from car accidents. If I ever see you getting into a car. I will remind you how reckless it is to drive and how you put peoples lives in danger because you are to lazy to walk.

I think you absolutely did the right thing. He could have moved to a hill or to the rear of the crowd, and he still should have checked with the police first. Most crowded events explicitly ban drones within their perimeters.

In one generation this society went from Air Men to Hair Men, from Navy Seals to Navy Squeals to quote Savage. I guess we all pick and choose what we are afraid of.

What's the big deal? Its a little plastic toy. I am sure you drove there in a 3000lb machine 70 mph did you not? How many people are killed by phantoms per year? None! Over 30,000 death in 2014 from car accidents. If I ever see you getting into a car. I will remind you how reckless it is to drive and how you put peoples lives in danger because you are to lazy to walk.

Jeremiah, I am not sure why you would think I drive a 3000lb vehicle at 70 mph because I am concerned about someone launching a Phantom with 3yr olds playing 6-8' away.

While I would be concerned about someone "flying" a phantom over a crowd of literally 1,000 + people, I would not have actually done anything about it. But you think actually launching it from the ground on a windy evening in a crowd is reasonable? You have clearly have some preconceived notion about me as a person for being concerned about this, and wanting him to launch it away from the crowd. I, on the other hand am not going to pretend to know or judge you based on your comments, other then to ask that you thinking about what is a safe and lawful environment for these devices. I don't mind looking bad because I want to be safe and smart, but reckless operators make all of us look bad and can only increase regulations.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Let's think about this logically. You would be ok with him "launching" from a hill and flying high, where it's away from people, altitude wise. isn't it worse if the drone were to fall from say 300' up instead 40' up, should he have launched from where he did?
People seem to be ok with flying over cities, which includes many people somewhere underneath, but not visible in the camera shot, yet not ok if the drone is lower and people are visible. Example - look at Dirtybirds video of Baltimore on here and read the positive comments. Think about the damage that drone could have done should it have fallen.

Let's think about this logically. You would be ok with him "launching" from a hill and flying high, where it's away from people, altitude wise. isn't it worse if the drone were to fall from say 300' up instead 40' up, should he have launched from where he did?
People seem to be ok with flying over cities, which includes many people somewhere underneath, but not visible in the camera shot, yet not ok if the drone is lower and people are visible. Example - look at Dirtybirds video of Baltimore on here and read the positive comments. Think about the damage that drone could have done should it have fallen.

If we are going to look at it logically, then please re-read my reply, as I did not say I would be ok with flying over a crowd.

Jeremiah, I am not sure why you would think I drive a 3000lb vehicle at 70 mph because I am concerned about someone launching a Phantom with 3yr olds playing 6-8' away.

While I would be concerned about someone "flying" a phantom over a crowd of literally 1,000 + people, I would not have actually done anything about it. But you think actually launching it from the ground on a windy evening in a crowd is reasonable? You have clearly have some preconceived notion about me as a person for being concerned about this, and wanting him to launch it away from the crowd. I, on the other hand am not going to pretend to know or judge you based on your comments, other then to ask that you thinking about what is a safe and lawful environment for these devices. I don't mind looking bad because I want to be safe and smart, but reckless operators make all of us look bad and can only increase regulations.

I believe what also contributes to regulations is the hysteria associated with drones. Like in your post. Omg the children are going to die! Really? I probably would have watched and given the times we live in I can guarantee I wouldn't waste police resources for the likes of this. Reality is a phantom poses little danger. People said the same of cars. These things will be flying everywhere. There are actually real threats in the world to deal with.
That's all.

Here is what I did on the fourth flying from inside my car. Does this make u mad?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic