Using Monitor with FPV goggles

Reaction score
I have a Fat Shark Predator V2 setup and was thinking about adding extra monitor so that who are with me can see what I'm seeing.

I know I can connect a cable from the goggles to a monitor, but that seems cumbersome. Has anyone used a second 5.8 Gh Rx attached to a monitor to pick up the signal from the Tx on the Phantom? If so, what are you using as far as monitor and receiver? What is considered a reasonably good LCD monitor? I see prices ranging fro $35 on up.

In terms of a good monitor for FPV main things to look for is one that wont bluescreen or turn off on low video signal. Then you also want one that is usable outdoors in bright light.

You will need a sun shade but very low brightness screens are pretty useless even with a sun shade so look for 400cdm or higher brightness levels. My first screen was only 250cdm and it pretty much sucks in daylight use but since I got another screen that does 1000cdm. It does washout the LCD at highest brightness so really its only usable to about 600 but its great in any light with its provided sunshade to those levels.

The cheapest screens may be good for night flying but if you want to use it outdoors on sunny days you will need something a little better. My first screen was a 7 inch Airy from helipal.com and my current is a skylark sunview 7 inchhttp://www.skylarkfpv.com/en/product.php?id=41 this is close to $300 but also comes with a good radio mount and sun hood. I think the Airy was a compmete waste of money for daytime fpv use so even at the higher price this actually is usable so better value I think.

There are a few other screens sold for FPV around 400 to 450cdm and these should be fairly good, the airy at 100% brightness looks like my skylark at 5% brightness so they arent in the same league as eachother.

I bought a dual monitor DVD player like the ones used in cars. I use the actual player to watch DVD's. its 12V and the other for my FPV gear on my rock crawler. It really does need some kind of screen. Kinda pricey also. I think I paid 70 or 80 dollars for them. But it works. I use a small 12V from a kids toy riding car.

Tom

I started off like your set up and now I have:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=28907

It came with the sun shade and great picture and brightness.

As for the RX, I picked the one below and it is compatible with FatShark VTX.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... utput.html

I up grade the FatShark VTX to the one below for more power at 600 mw in stead of 250 mw.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 00mw_.html

The heat sink gets very hot so I added the small heat sink to it.

Without my glasses I cant read a thing. Plus I have a bit of a hole in the left retina. Yeah I know, bummer. Wonder if they would still work or me.

Tom

Carr52 said:
Without my glasses I cant read a thing. Plus I have a bit of a hole in the left retina. Yeah I know, bummer. Wonder if they would still work or me.

Tom

Don't give up yet, Several members talked to their local eye glasses shop and have them make the correction lens for the goggles with great results at reasonable prices too.

tanasit said:
Carr52 said:

Tom

Don't give up yet, Several members talked to their local eye glasses shop and have them make the correction lens for the goggles with great results at reasonable prices too.

I'm due for a check up next week. I'll ask. Thanks.

Tom
Update: Been looking around on the hobby sites. They have these inserts for the goggles. Are they worth looking at? I think I saw them on the HK site. Looked at a lot of places.

Tom,

I bought a set of the correction lens from HK and tried the -2.00 ones, but my eyes require less than that.
The lens are very difficult to remove. so I scratched one of them but the -4.00 & -6.00 are never used.
If you are in the US, I can put them in the envelop and ship them to you on me.

Email me your address

Several members love them.

I have some reading glasses that are 250. Got em at the dollar store and thy are about right. So that sounnds good to me. Thanks.

Tom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20