using a transmitter for a car mounted GoPro

Reaction score
after a friend of mine watched me fly the Phantom he thought about using the same transmitter (i've got a ImmersionRC 600mw) on his race car to transmit the picture from his GoPro so we can see whats going on from the pitlane. I couldn't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but thought i'd ask the experts

It has been done many a times. Professional production crews even have specific 1/8 scale electric buggies that are modified to hold a DSLR and wirelessly transmit to a control station. As long as you have a way to power the transmitter and a clear antenna route, you should be good to go. Just be sure that the RX/TX for the car is not on the same 5.8ghz as the video feed.

ah sorry i should of been clearer, its a full size race car

IMG_0508.jpg

Haha, The concept should work just the same. Just need to sort out power and you should be good. If that's the car, looks great!

Could even have multiple setup and just change the channels so you could have multiple views.

yes that is his. He's got 2 GoPro's which are both hardwired into the battery so should be easy to rewire for a transmitter, i might pick up a cheap transmitter for him

Just splice in power for the transmitter and there you go. Especially since he already has lines to the cameras, life it quite easy.

6-25v input range so should be able to splice it in to the cars 12v no probs. Mounting it somewhere where the antenna can get clear line of sight is the problem. You can get extenders for the antenna connection but they are not very long. Not sure how long you can get them.

MrC said:
6-25v input range so should be able to splice it in to the cars 12v no probs. Mounting it somewhere where the antenna can get clear line of sight is the problem. You can get extenders for the antenna connection but they are not very long. Not sure how long you can get them.
i'm sure he can find a gap on the roll-cage near the roof skin, then use an extension cable from there. Can always use a long cable to get to the GoPro then

Hey Duane, that's a great idea!

I'd say get some decent SpiroNet antennas so you'll get the best possible signal. The power of the transmitter isn't as important but it's worth getting a decent one for best results.

Something like these would work well I think...

Immersion-RC-58ghz-SpiroNet-Antennas-SMA-500x500.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers