using a GoPro Hero 4 with a H3-3D

Reaction score
just wondering how people are getting on using Hero 4's (i'll be getting a Black) on the H3-3D gimbal. I know they are easily modified to fit with the side button, but i'm worried about the weight as mine seems to be very picky & groans at the slightest of weight adjustments & worried it won't like it. How are others getting on after such a time

I am using my Hero 4 silver on the H3-3D, it works great with no issue at all. I don't even need to do any modification to use the wifi button on the side. It only blocked off a tiny bit of the button, I can still access the button no problem.

Hero 4 Black on H3 3d and with Srp ND Filter on .
No issues at all. Perfect smooth image and without any counterbalance

same here, hero 4 on h3-3d without any counterbalance.
no problem at all

p fandango said:
just wondering how people are getting on using Hero 4's (i'll be getting a Black) on the H3-3D gimbal. I know they are easily modified to fit with the side button, but i'm worried about the weight as mine seems to be very picky & groans at the slightest of weight adjustments & worried it won't like it. How are others getting on after such a time

there is enough variance in the production of H3-3D gimbals that different people are going to have very different experiences. I personally have 2 and I have a friend also with two H3-3D's and the balance is a little different on each of them so each person's result is going to be slightly different.

p fandango, the most important thing is no matter what gimbal+gopro you run, to try to get good neutral balance. Neutral balance is when, with the Phantom power OFF (and on a flat surface obviously) you position the gopro looking straight ahead and when you release your grip, the gopro basically doesn't move. If it falls hard to one side or tips forward/backward, you need to counterbalance.

fwiw, the weight of a Hero 4 black with the battery removed is about the same weight as a Hero 3 black with the battery installed. When I went from a H3b to a H4b all I did was remove the battery from my Hero 4 and it was pretty much balanced.

the same principle applies to that side button. On one of my h33d's, it's a tight fit and the H4 side button is always pressed, so I had to use a dremel to nick out a small space for the button from the mounting plate.
On my OTHER h33d, the gopro sits quite loose and the H4 side button isn't ever pressed so I didn't have to modify it at all.

pfandango, I'm just saying you'll have to see how yours works when you get it and balance/modify accordingly, if necessary... or perhaps not at all

thanks all, i think it will be a case of "suck it & see". My gimbal is so sensitive it doesn't even like the Shapeway quick-release clip

i think theirs a little bit of me that hopes it plays up, so i can buy another Phantom with the H4-3D gimbal. Better deal buying a package & fly a light-weight Phantom for some speed flying lol

thanks all, i think it will be a case of "suck it & see". My gimbal is so sensitive it doesn't even like the Shapeway quick-release clip

i think theirs a little bit of me that hopes it plays up, so i can buy another Phantom with the H4-3D gimbal. Better deal buying a package & fly a light-weight Phantom for some speed flying lol

I haven't had any issues either and no need to mod just put a small price of double sided tape above the function button on the side. So it doesn't rub the button

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj