Using a different (higher powered) transmitter for PV2+

Reaction score
Anyone using a different brand (Futaba?) transmitter for the PV2+? Is it possible to further boost transmission range with a transmitter that puts out at least 200mw of power?

Whatever you use will have to run on 5.8GHz... Not many (if any?) other transmitters out there do that, as 5.8GHz is the traditional FPV transmission frequency and 2.4GHz is the traditional control frequency. The Vision and Plus run on the exact opposite setup. You can fit third party improved antennas to the transmitter and could well amp the signal in some way but it'll be a hack job - there are several threads in and around the Vision section of this site on improving range, although mainly focussed on the wifi side of things...

Thanks pull up guy. Yes, I've gone the FPVLR antenna route (half sphere for 2.4 and moderate turn antenna on the transmitter and enjoying it. Was just wondering if there was a cheap and easy way (used ebay transmitters maybe) way to boost control range even further without external amps and such. But your response is clear and lets me know that other transmitters wont be the answer.
thanks

(Files away balloon analogy to steal later) :) I didn't get great 5.8 range on my stock setup so I fitted a correctly polarised 9dB helical (a little bigger than a 35mm film canister) to the tx in place of the stock antenna and nothing else and I got control signal about 2.5x further than with stock. There are a couple of videos of this I did it on my YouTube channel.

Once you've done the transmitter mod you can try out different antenna options easily. I didn't use one of Mr FPVLR s lovely antennas, I went with a local UK antenna maker who also has a thread in these foeums, but both work on the same principle. Incidentally I didn't find my 9dB 5.8 helical was too bad on the directional front and I could wander away from dead on target enough to make flying still enjoyable and not a needle-threading exercise...

Thanks for the info guys. With the two FPVLR antennas on my + I've gotten altitude of over 4400 feet at about 500 feet horizontal distance away from me. Didnt have a neck strap at the time and aiming became critical at that distance so I kept losing signal at that point unless I was totally still. This was NOT in a rural area so I'm guessing I could have gotten even further in a rural environment and with a neckstrap to help steady the transmitter. I'll be heading out into a very rural area this weekend and will try some horizontal distance testing as well as another high altitude run.

Tony: I understand what you are saying about amplification. Im just reluctant to add another battery and amp to the back of my transmitter (inconvenient) hence my question about just getting a more powerful transmitter altogether. But the frequency issue clearly takes away that option, and not sure if Im even all that interested in going beyond 4k feet right now on any regular basis anyways. what I will be interested in is whenever technology (whether its DJI or someone else) does whatever is needed frequency or transmission wise to allow us to do non line of sight flying. So many times I've flown maybe 1000 or 2000 feet away beyond a tree line over into a clear area..I then want to descend into that clear area but of course, as soon as the trees get in the way of the signal, a RTH begins. I'd LOVE to be able to fly this over and beyond a structure (or trees) and land or hover low for great pics, then ascend and fly back. THATS what Im waiting for.

phantomguy said:
Thanks pull up guy. Yes, I've gone the FPVLR antenna route (half sphere for 2.4 and moderate turn antenna on the transmitter and enjoying it. Was just wondering if there was a cheap and easy way (used ebay transmitters maybe) way to boost control range even further without external amps and such. But your response is clear and lets me know that other transmitters wont be the answer.
thanks

I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, but the stock/factory set up in FCC mode enables a range of up to 800m & as high as 300m, which is a staggering distance for a little quad.
It's kinda got me baffled as to why anyone would need it to go any further? It also increases the chance of interference, not being able to see where it went down in the event of a crash etc. I know very little about the technical side of r/c, but if the explanation from the other user is correct & increasing range narrows the field of flight, why risk a $1300(plus mods) quad? Can one not park or carry it closer to whatever you're filming?
If you want serious range, why bother with a P2V+? There are purpose built machines available, albeit at a much higher price. You also was wondering if there's a "cheap & easy" way to boost the range. Simple answer is no. You can't drink champagne on a beer budget....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj