Used plast aid to brace up the fpv holder

Reaction score
Did a rough strengthen up job to brace up the wobbly holder.

Other than it looks a bit like someone sneezed on it, it as stiff as any now. Haha

I think you could do a real neat job with this stuff if you put some time ito it.

Attachments

• 1459308719890.jpg
    1459308719890.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 383
Lol,
PLAST-aid! Lol, ha ha ha
I use it all the time fixing pools! Good stuff.
I was laughing when I received a rotorpixel gimbal, as they use plast-aid in their control module, to seal their electronics!
I've also used it to mold prototype parts, works great!
Thought I was the only one!
( bit pricey, but works! )

Good show my friend!
J Dot

Hey thanks, think I got a small high from the fumes when I was using it.

Do you know the right ratio of powder to fluid so that it doesn't end up brittle or does it not matter?

You could probably use that stuff to fix cracks as well

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I make a thicker paste out of it, but no set ratio, as the activator evaporates, the paste gets thicker!
I went to a show, where the cut a 2" pipe with a saw, plant aided it back, then bent the pipe to break it, it broke at a different spot than the repair! I was sold!
( DEFINATELY keep area WELL ventilated, fines are heavy )
I build molds, pour it in, let it harden, and you have a working part! No electrical value, so won't short nothing out! Nice invention! Wish it was mine!

J Dot

Thanks, I asked them if they wanted a distributor here in Australia, but they never replied
So I assume they are happy selling on ebay.

You think it would be possible to simply unscrew the motor, lift it out and pour in plast aid while its still liquidy, perhaps using a syringe or something ? im trying to find a way to get it done without opening the shell.

Yep , should be ok, just don't mix very much at once. 1 teaspoon full max.

I would use a syringe with a longer spout. Have 2 or three on hand in case it hardens in the syringe.
Suck it in when it is still runny. Use one syringe and mix a little bit of plast-aid to practice on something else that needs repairing first.

Let us know how it goes.

so while i wait for my plast aid and syringes to arrive. I unscrewed the motor to see if i could lift it.. NOPE. there is no extra wire i think so it barely lifts 2 mm.
what are chances that the shell clips can break while opening it up. I've seen numerous youtube vids and seems like it should easily doable without any damage?

so while i wait for my plast aid and syringes to arrive. I unscrewed the motor to see if i could lift it.. NOPE. there is no extra wire i think so it barely lifts 2 mm.
what are chances that the shell clips can break while opening it up. I've seen numerous youtube vids and seems like it should easily doable without any damage?
I doubt you'll break the shell clips.. the clips are minimal but under force when latched. you'll need to squeeze the bottom shell a lot to depress the clips.. Its not fun, but there is really no risk... just have a few pieces of cardboard or better yet something similar to a old credit card to hold open the shell as you move along.

Thank you. one last thing. How much thickness of plast aid should i apply in the shell, under the mount mounts. enought to reach the top of the scree holes? or just a think layer, lets say half the height of the screw holes
in your picture above, i see that you covered even those two pronged tabs between the screw holes? any negative affect to the motor mounting due to that?

I just went all the way level with all the mounting holes, It may be easier to stop about a credit card thickness from the top to make sure the top shell can go on easier without bottoming out on the plast-aid. I would in fact recommend that. I was filled to the top of the stubbs and needed to sand down my top shell ridges a touch, not much but just enough for the shell to go back on neatly. Once you have the top shell off you'll see what I mean about a ridge around the circular part of the top shell.

Hi again,

so today i recevied my plast aid kit. for now im trying to do some small experiment with the mixture on other stuff before i use it on the P3.
I tried to make a small circular puck sort of thing just to see how long it takes to set, harden and dry off etc...seems like i used very little powder as its been 20 min my mix is still very liquid and the gooey part is very little...
question are
1- should i be using a lot of power?
2- is there any harm in having more power in the mix or at the end it will all harden up anyways,..
3- should i expect to use half or the whole power to reinforce the 4 arms on the p3?
4- how much power you think i need to create a mix for one arm..

P.S this stuff does stink

Hi again,

so today i recevied my plast aid kit. for now im trying to do some small experiment with the mixture on other stuff before i use it on the P3.
I tried to make a small circular puck sort of thing just to see how long it takes to set, harden and dry off etc...seems like i used very little powder as its been 20 min my mix is still very liquid and the gooey part is very little...
question are
1- should i be using a lot of power?
2- is there any harm in having more power in the mix or at the end it will all harden up anyways,..
3- should i expect to use half or the whole power to reinforce the 4 arms on the p3?
4- how much power you think i need to create a mix for one arm..

P.S this stuff does stink

Take the mixing cup that came with it and fill it 3/4 full with powder... Fill the cup with the liquid until it is to the top of the powder stir really well for a full minute. Then pour half of it around the motor mount area to just at or just below the stubs. If you have any left in the mixing cup wait a few more minutes so it will become like puddy, pinch some out and press into place around the back side of the shell mount stubs. do no more than 2 motors at a time, you'll run out of time if you try all at the same time. There should be enough in a plast-aid kit to do 3 phantoms.... If your more comfortable doing one motor at a time try and fill the cup half way with powder and the same level with liquid. You ill have some leftover but overall you will have more than enough to complete your phantom's 4 motors with plenty to spare.

Plasti aiding in progress..hopefully it goes well. :)

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4