Used my P2V to help FD in fire/explosives incident

Reaction score
I used my DJI Phantom 2 Vision yesterday to assist my local fire department to determine whether it was safe to send firefighters into a stone quarry where are large fire was burning, and that was very close to magazines of explosives.

Since it was too dangerous to send someone in to see how close the fire was to the explosives, the chief asked me to fly my Phantom up and over to get a bird's eye view. With him looking at the video over my shoulder and using his knowledge and expertise,he was able to determine the blaze was still 40 feet away from the explosives, and it was safe to in firefighters.

Just another example of how useful "drones" can be.

Lots of news coverage if you're interested...

Watching Drone Shows Firefighters Quarry Fire
http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/video/#!/ ... /243004191

Evacuation Lifted in Branford Quarry Fire
http://youtu.be/bb7bZwN8rtE

Drone Helped Avert Danger In Yesterday's Branford Fire
http://foxct.com/2014/01/30/quarry-fire ... r-concern/

Drone Assist Key to Fighting Quarry Fire
http://www.zip06.com/article/20140131/N ... rezip06art

GMANNZ said:
wicked cool .... hope P2V didnt get cooked :)
Nope. And it did the job perfectly. I had to take off and land in a manner I had never tried before due to the odd terrain. I had to take off and land about 75 feet below where I was standing. Judging the proximity to the ground was odd, but it touched down quite gently. Hell, I even impressed myself with the landing. :)

Great job Peter...both on the use of the Phantom, and for the priceless PR as well!

Funny thing, we were just talking about this earlier: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7409

It looks like you were far enough away to avoid any currents generated by the heat, but those can cause turbulence at a greater range than you might expect...did you have to deal with any of that? (in addition to the standing crosswind)

Well done good news stories like this is what the uav industry need ..
so the public perception of them to being used to spy on neighbours
Are not what they where intended for ... The sooner the civil aviation authorities as well as the media understand this the public will not fear "Drones" (hate using that word) as evil machines being flown by madmen ... :)
Great story bet it made you feel bit like superman lol

OI Photography said:
Great job Peter...both on the use of the Phantom, and for the priceless PR as well!

It looks like you were far enough away to avoid any currents generated by the heat, but those can cause turbulence at a greater range than you might expect...did you have to deal with any of that? (in addition to the standing crosswind)

Thanks. Oops. I should have looked for that other thread before posting a new topic.

A 1-mile area was evacuated. But, because they needed the view from above, I was allowed to head in along with the chief, a single engine and the state police bomb squad. I was about 100 yards from the fire. But the fire was in a giant pit about 75 feet deep. So I was fairly protected by the cliffs of the quarry. (I am a volunteer member of the fire department for what it's worth.)

It was buffeted by the heat, yes. Not a lot, but the video shows it because it was an otherwise calm wind. Frankly, if it crashed into the pit or was otherwise destroyed, so be it. Human life was truly at risk, so I put aside any concerns for the Phantom. The town probably would have bought me a replacement.

So this is a good example where p2v does have some practical application where video and photo quality
Are not a prerequisite.

petersachs said:
OI Photography said:

Thanks. Oops. I should have looked for that other thread before posting a new topic.

A 1-mile area was evacuated. But, because they needed the view from above, I was allowed to head in along with the chief, a single engine and the state police bomb squad. I was about 100 yards from the fire. But the fire was in a giant pit about 75 feet deep. So I was fairly protected by the cliffs of the quarry. (I am a volunteer member of the fire department for what it's worth.)

It was buffeted by the heat, yes. Not a lot, but the video shows it because it was an otherwise calm wind. Frankly, if it crashed into the pit or was otherwise destroyed, so be it. Human life was truly at risk, so I put aside any concerns for the Phantom. The town probably would have bought me a replacement.

Yeah I think you did a great job in the circumstances, this is the kind of real-world experience that will be very useful to those who will need to fly similar missions in the future. Flying around any fire adds potentially dangerous variables beyond what you have to factor in for regular flights.

FYI I plan to use your press heavily in my efforts to promote uav use to local civil agencies ;)

OI Photography said:
petersachs said:
OI Photography said:
Yeah I think you did a great job in the circumstances, this is the kind of real-world experience that will be very useful to those who will need to fly similar missions in the future. Flying around any fire adds potentially dangerous variables beyond what you have to factor in for regular flights.

FYI I plan to use your press heavily in my efforts to promote uav use to local civil agencies ;)
Thank you. Yes, please do. The more good information that spreads around, the better.

I would push for the fire dept getting you a 'heat buffer avoidance Dutch gimbal' :lol:
Nice to see a positive 'drone' story in the press

Excellent. This is the kind of PR this hobby needs. Nice job, Peter...

-slinger

Pull_Up said:
+1. . Compare and contrast to the publicity surrounding the guy who tried to bounce his Phantom off various Manhattan skycrapers...

i think he was trying to play tennis ;)

Studiowise said:
I would push for the fire dept getting you a 'heat buffer avoidance Dutch gimbal' :lol:
Nice to see a positive 'drone' story in the press

Hmmm, a taxpayer funded gimbal. I'm taking my P2V and going down to volunteer at my local FD today. :D On a serious note good job and a great story!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik