Usb network between RC and phone

Reaction score
A member told me that in the telnet shell at the P3S RC, he found wlan0 and usb0 are tied as bridge.
Also stated running "brctl show" can confirm that.

2.4g module is based on openwrt of atheros AR9344 as we all come to know, and I found on the 2.4g module, d+ and d- ports are out for jump.
DJI Phantom 3 Standard Teardown - 0

At the RC main board, d+ and d- ports are also out for jump.

Can I connect those two ports to get usb network connection between RC and smartphone, same as Advanced and Professional?
If it is possible, P3S's video transmission latency would be decreased, and will became resistant to wireless interference.

Currently one channel is shared to connect drone-RC and RC-smartphone. If two of them having transmission, another two would be backed off and will wait by carrier sense. Wifi tend to transmit stream in burst mode, so latency is inherently high in P3S, so establishing wired network would eliminate those drawbacks.

Anyone thought about it or tried it already?

That's an intriguing idea! I'd certainly love to hear how this works out of you or anyone else tries it!

The remote control appears to create a wifi hotspot that the DJI Go App finds and connects to.

Having both my phone and the remote controller using wifi seems like a waste of battery on both devices, especially when the two devices are on top of one and other.

There is a micro USB on the remote controller that certainly works for charging. Would it initiate a USB connection if connected with a phone? Of course it would have to 'know' not to try to charge from the phone. I think the answer is "no, you can't connect your phone and remote controller together with a USB cable in the DJI Phantom 3 Standard", but I thought that this thread was asking the same thing.

A member told me that in the telnet shell at the P3S RC, he found wlan0 and usb0 are tied as bridge.

2.4g module is based on openwrt of atheros AR9344 as we all come to know, and I found on the 2.4g module, d+ and d- ports are out for jump.

Can I connect those two ports to get usb network connection between RC and smartphone, same as Advanced and Professional?
If it is possible, P3S's video transmission latency would be decreased, and will became resistant to wireless interference.

Currently one channel is shared to connect drone-RC and RC-smartphone. If two of them having transmission, another two would be backed off and will wait by carrier sense. Wifi tend to transmit stream in burst mode, so latency is inherently high in P3S, so establishing wired network would eliminate those drawbacks.

I have a spare RC and will test to see what happens when I probe those D's.

Reactions: Argonaise
So connected the D+ and D- to a PC to see what would happen. PC does see something plugged in but then fails.

Attachments

• Untitled3.png
    Untitled3.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 388

So connected the D+ and D- to a PC to see what would happen. PC does see something plugged in but then fails.

How about connect to Android then enable USB Tethering at setting ?
may be D+ D- Connect to PC (PC in host mode, then need driver), D+ D- connect to Android (AR9344 usb2.0 controller in host mode)

Last edited:
USB tethering would be giving internet from my phone to the connected device. We need the other way around?

I'm not quite sure but enable USB Tethering on android = Start DHCP server on android and assign IP and subnet itself and share connected usb device ?
then we can try

1) Android be device mode: connect D+ D- to android
run netcfg usb0 dhcp to get IP from RC (make sure wlan0 and usb0 on RC is bridged)
on my android, netcfg show rmnet_usb0 DOWN and I can use "ifconfig rmnet_usb0 up" (need root) to start it up; when "enable USB Tethering", and new network interface usb0 will show and have it's own IP
so, pls check which dev should use on your android

2) Android be host mode: get a OTG cable and connect D+ D- ?
but i guess we should set AR9344 usb2.0 controller in host mode

Last edited:

That's telemetry data. Same you get with cat /dev/ttyATH0
BTW. How do you intend to transfer 10Mbit video over 115200kbps serial line ?

That's telemetry data. Same you get with cat /dev/ttyATH0
BTW. How do you intend to transfer 10Mbit video over 115200kbps serial line ?

Oh, I did not realized that. When I thought about speed of usb, it was 450Mbps instead of usb-uart speed of 115200kbps. Like p3 pro/adv, thought it could be a shot. Thank you for letting me know. I'm amazed several times today from this thread.

It's very interesting idea!

I have checked my P3S RC. Without mods, it recognizing as VID fff0 and PID 0008. Windows cannot find drivers for this device, and Linux recognizes it as modem /dev/ttyACM0...

With a software uart-sub and I think the fc40 driver you can connect to the sun from Windows!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj