usb cord ??

Reaction score
What is this used for, it came with my Phantom (1.1.1). I don't know computer stuff well, sorry. :oops: Its apprx. a 6" cord with a usb on one end and a smaller connector that fits my phone, (mini usb)?

reALIGNed said:
What is this used for, it came with my Phantom (1.1.1). I don't know computer stuff well, sorry. :oops: Its apprx. a 6" cord with a usb on one end and a smaller connector that fits my phone, (mini usb)?

It's a micro-USB and it's to update the firmware in the transmitter, though I think you need to crack open the shell to expose the micro-USB port on the circuit board.

I see the USB port on the Phantom, but there's nothing on the controller. You mean we have to open the controller to update software/firmware? :roll:

MrTommy said:
I see the USB port on the Phantom, but there's nothing on the controller. You mean we have to open the controller to update software/firmware? :roll:
Yes. Just remove the four screws. Be careful of the antenna mount. Just gently move the top half of the control back and forth and it will separate from the mount.

ElGuano said:
reALIGNed said:

It's a micro-USB and it's to update the firmware in the transmitter, though I think you need to crack open the shell to expose the micro-USB port on the circuit board.

Ok, thanks.........I didn't realize the Tx. was updateable.

I am now on the hunt for a short (really short!) extension cord for that micro USB port inside the controller. I want to plug in a cable from the plug inside the controller and stick it out through an opening I'll put on the controller. That way, when (or if) updates to controller software become available, I won't have to unscrew and rescrew the controller. I always get nervous about metal and plastic connections. :x

MrTommy said:
I am now on the hunt for a short (really short!) extension cord for that micro USB port inside the controller. I want to plug in a cable from the plug inside the controller and stick it out through an opening I'll put on the controller. That way, when (or if) updates to controller software become available, I won't have to unscrew and rescrew the controller. I always get nervous about metal and plastic connections. :x

I believe someone said they used this one for that exact purpose: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EJHH20/ref ... 1W3T8T54EO

With all due respect to those who have done this mod, and those who plan to, WHY?? When was the last time you needed to update your Transmitter. Do you really expect to have to do it again any time soon. It takes 2 minutes if you are slow to take the cover off and access the internal micro USB port if needed. Who wants a cable flopping around out of the bottom of your transmitter?

Count said:
With all due respect to those who have done this mod, and those who plan to, WHY?? When was the last time you needed to update your Transmitter. Do you really expect to have to do it again any time soon. It takes 2 minutes if you are slow to take the cover off and access the internal micro USB port if needed. Who wants a cable flopping around out of the bottom of your transmitter?

If it's a cable sticking out, yeah that's kind of silly. But there's zero reason why there shouldn't be an externally-accessible port. Taking apart the transmitter is a hassle, and you run the risk of breaking something (pulling out the wiring at the antenna swivel, crimping a wire when you put the shell back together, etc. A minor mod for sure, but on that's easy to do.

reALIGNed said:
ElGuano said:
reALIGNed said:

Ok, thanks.........I didn't realize the Tx. was updateable.
News to me as well. I wonder where the file is downloaded from-no sign of it in Phantom support

Count said:

"Respect" appreciated Count . . . Since my Phantom 2 Vision is brandy new, and my only connection to the RC quad world was about a month and a half with my (still in one piece) Blade 180QX, the whole software connection with controller, Phantom and camera was a bit daunting at first. Trying to figure out which software version I had on these was giving me fits. I downloaded the Assistant, the Vision software (and of course, the on-line manual) trying to make sure I had everything I needed to prevent the dreaded fly-away on my maiden flight. The Chinese translation in the manual is, in some places, a bit, uh, vague.

So the point is, I've opened up my controller at least a half dozen times, and that wiggling of the top of it to get it separated from the antenna is always a tense moment. Same thing with putting it back together. I realize now (now that I've figured out how to make this software work properly - for MY OWN good), that yes, you are right. I may never have to open it again. But, ya never know. I just have trouble understanding why DJI would put a USB plug on the Phantom - and not on the controller.

And thanks to O I Photography for that link on Amazon. That just might do the trick (though it does look a bit short).

Talk about confusing! This topic started with a question about a v1.1.1 TX- and then morphed into a P2V TX.

2 completely different systems- and 2 completely different answers as to whether the TX is upgradable.

If it can help anyone; here's a link that shows how someone else modified their Tx to have an external USB port...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2019429&highlight=stupid+ring+lock&page=19
(See Report #5840)

I've been debating making the same modification to my Tx but when I check the DJI website I can't find a firmware update for my version of Tx (v1.1.1). If there is no firmware to download, why bother opening the Tx and risk breaking the Tx antenna lead (which I understand is very easy to do) ;) ? If anyone has found a P1 Tx firmware upgrade on the DJI website please let me know.

Something else I think is true is that only P2 and P2V Tx's have the external USB ports. I haven't run across any posts in other forums wherein a P1 Tx has been received with an external USB port.

I'm starting to think that the micro usb port inside the Tx is for DJI use only, (when they set it up at the factory.)

reALIGNed said:
I'm starting to think that the micro usb port inside the Tx is for DJI use only, (when they set it up at the factory.)

But...

PHANTOM 2 VISION
User Manual V1.10
December 26, 2013 Revision

"13.4 PHANTOM RC Assistant Software Description

Please follow the procedures to finish the configuration of the remote controller.

1. Turn off the remote controller and find the Micro-USB port on the back of it. (If there is no one, users
should open the rear cover
to find the Micro-USB port on the board inner the remote controller.)"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers