USB connection to Phantom units

Reaction score
Has anyone had any success with deciphering a direct USB connection to a Phantom copter (of any variety)? I'm curious to what extent the firmware can be manually tweaked. Does anyone know what protocol the Phantom communicates in? As far as I know, the DJI Assistant Software is the only software that uses this USB connection.

All I've been able to do is probe the connection in Linux. Linux seems to think it is a "dialout" device, which is some kind of modem.

NAZA firmware = sword in the stone

Many brave souls have started down the same path you contemplate...none have returned victorious.

configurationspace said:
All I've been able to do is probe the connection in Linux. Linux seems to think it is a "dialout" device, which is some kind of modem.

Just a guess, but it sounds like you reached a canbus transceiver.

ElGuano can drop some more tech knowledge on you if you want deeper insight, but it's been a lost cause so far.

I did a quick search for previous threads on this topic but wasn't able to find any -- nor did I have many good ideas to search for. If anyone can point out previous threads on the topic, that would be great.

And thanks for letting me know what you know. I won't spend too much time on this project if progress is too slow.

Okay, it appears can-utils in Linux is understanding a little of the USB connection. I don't know much about CAN and CANbuses, though. Epsilon progress is better than nothing.

configurationspace said:
CAN and CANbuses, though.

It's a protocol originally developed for data networking in cars, useful for many other applications such as this. Seems to be a good option for DJI to have chosen, although the stock connectors they provide can be cumbersome in some installations like the Phantom.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik