usa for none usa resident

Reaction score
How do i go about flying my drone in the USA legally . Will be over there in June next year but can not find the right site to register my drone as a none USA resident we will be staying with friends in NJ state .

Per the FAA's registration FAQ, you need to register on the FAA's website before you fly in the US. You can register here.

Thanks for info can not open link?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You'll be able to open it once you arrive in the US. Or, ask your friend in NJ to register for you ahead of time.

How do i go about flying my drone in the USA legally . Will be over there in June next year but can not find the right site to register my drone as a none USA resident we will be staying with friends in NJ state .

If you are not a US citizen, you don't need to register in order to fly:

(from the link above):
What's covered by the new registration system?
Q11. Who may register on the new online sUAS registration website?

A. Any owners who meet U.S. citizenship requirements can register their unmanned aircraft using this new streamlined web-based process.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Registration
Who must register a UAS?
The owner must be:
  • 13 years of age or older. (If the owner is less than 13 years of age, a person 13 years of age or older must register the small unmanned aircraft.)
  • A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident.

Now... because it's the FAA and DOT, they have to do something to make this more confusing:

Q60. I am a foreign citizen who would like to operate my sUAS in the United States but I do not have a United States address. For purposes of fulfilling the requirement for aircraft registration, what addresses must I provide for my permanent and mailing addresses?

A. For the next several weeks, a person with a United States address must register the small unmanned aircraft on your behalf and provide their address and payment information. The FAA will assume a bailment agreement exists between you and that person in this instance, as referenced in 14 CFR 48.25. In the coming weeks, the FAA expects to roll out an update to the web-based registration system that will allow a person to enter a foreign address.

This seems to fly in the face of the information mention about who has to register. Also, those "coming weeks" have long since gone. The FAA has limited access to their registration page to those computers (based on IP address) within the US. Computers outside of the US can't be used to register. This is because people who are not US citizen's are not subject to the registration. Again, conflicting information is given out by the FAA. From pretty much all of the FAA's information, those who are not US citizens's are not required to register drones in order to fly them in the US. This is especially true if you don't have a US address.

Once again thanks for all the info

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

This is the question in the FAQ that pertains to holidayers coming to America.

Q12. Are non-U.S. citizens visiting the United States on vacation or for sUAS competitions required to register?

A. All sUAS are required to be registered prior to operating outdoors. Foreign nationals who want to operate in the U.S. may use the FAA's new online registration system. These non-U.S. citizens or non-permanent U.S. residents will receive an identical certificate as U.S. Citizens or permanent U.S. residents under the online registration platform. However, this certificate will function solely as a "recognition of ownership" document. This document is required by the Department of Transportation for foreign nationals to operate legally in the US.

I accessed the link from NZ. It weird if its not working for you?
Try using a different browser. i use Chrome.

sUAS Registration

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan