US DHS warns of possible Chinese Drone data collection

I read that also. It can easily be true. Maybe that is why DJI is cutting back on their drone production. They have enough data.? It's funny how so many on this forum said it can't be done LOL Sure it can and not just in drones either.

Just a beat up.
What "sensitive" data does your drone have that would be of any value to anyone?
If you are sensitive about your data, it's very easy to keep it to yourself.
Ask home land security. They're the ones concerned. If they are so dumb to think there is something the Chinese could get access to. You need to straighten them out. Lol

Ask home land security. They're the ones concerned. If they are so dumb to think there is something the Chinese could get access to. You need to straighten them out. Lol
Having looked at a lot of recorded flight data, I still haven't seen anything that could be described as sensitive.
Homeland Security are dreaming.

This is just another blanket warning related to the use of devices that phone home. Since there is no evidence that the products are accessing or transmitting any data outside the control apps, it's really only relevant when the aircraft are used in sensitive operations. And everyone doing that should already be taking precautions by operating in local data mode.

Reactions: BigAl07
Scare tactics? Anti-drone groups with fake news? What's next, unicorn drones frighten children? My work documenting construction, architectural support from above, and entertaining friends with aerial photos of their new homes and properties would put the Chinese to sleep. The same people who fly near airports might take an assignment from someone with espionage on their mind. Hell, people will drive through crowds of people for crazy reasons but no one wishes to ban motor vehicles. The current world culture could use more mental health days. That said, the Chinese military are clever souls and likely to attempt any angle to gather info to benefit a goal for superiority. We do the same. Wish there was better press about drones, at the least.

I heard China is going to take control of all the drones in the US remotely, and use them to launch an attack against us all. Don't worry though it will only last 20 minutes and anything important is safe as DJI drones won't fly in those areas!

Reactions: MTO
Our US Army bought thousands of Phantom 4's and realized dji had an imbeded chip that was actually gathering info and sending to China. In 2017 the Army ordered all Phantoms grounded.
Don't know if they took that chip out or not.

A significant problem with the "don't use Drones, electronics manufactured in China" is the complete lack of drones comparable to the Phantom, Mavic and Inspire series that are manufactured (hardware and software) in the US. Yes, there are some high-end, specialized drones manufactured here, but for most of us the cost is out of reach and far beyond what we actually need to do our drone work. It does absolutely no good to say "buy US made" unless is a viable option.

Reactions: Kennyv66
A significant problem with the "don't use Drones, electronics manufactured in China" is the complete lack of drones comparable to the Phantom, Mavic and Inspire series that are manufactured (hardware and software) in the US. Yes, there are some high-end, specialized drones manufactured here, but for most of us the cost is out of reach and far beyond what we actually need to do our drone work. It does absolutely no good to say "buy US made" unless is a viable option.
Google earth has done a very good job at making all aspects of US infrastructure accessible to the world and of course street view finished the job. At the consumer level it is doubtful much sensitive information is actually being mined by our enemies, however at the corporate level I could see a lot of opportunity for very sensitive information to be procured covertly. I would like nothing better than to buy a high quality, made in the USA drone, but as you mentioned there is nothing comparable to my P4P that would be cost effective at this point and like many out there, our drone ROI is barely a break even at this point.

Ken

Reactions: 10X
OK this new in my emails,,so just sharing...this turn out bit of a worrie for me,,p4 I just acquired had Chinese sticker on it unlike my first p4 which had nothing on it,I must have Chinese one
Screenshot_20190522-101931.jpg
Screenshot_20190522-102027.jpg

There did use to be 3DR Solo's. Based in the Bay Area and mostly manufactured in US/Mexico...........

Reactions: N017RW
Just a beat up.
What "sensitive" data does your drone have that would be of any value to anyone?
If you are sensitive about your data, it's very easy to keep it to yourself.

So what can a person do. A skilled hacker can steal data from DJI which in turn has access to your phone. Your phone has data on it in other apps. Like credit card info, bank, personal info you wouldn’t want stolen. All a hacker needs is a backside to your phone. It’s scary. The military said to stop using them in 2017. For the same reasons. If they say don’t use them on our property then we should look considering they are pros at spying. Takes one to know one.

So what can a person do. A skilled hacker can steal data from DJI which in turn has access to your phone. Your phone has data on it in other apps. Like credit card info, bank, personal info you wouldn’t want stolen. All a hacker needs is a backside to your phone. It’s scary. The military said to stop using them in 2017. For the same reasons. If they say don’t use them on our property then we should look considering they are pros at spying. Takes one to know one.

A person could start by getting the basic facts correct. If the apps on your phone are sharing your credit card data with each other then you have far larger problems.

And the military did not say to stop using them. The DoD became concerned that flight data, images and video from DJI equipment used in sensitive operations might be uploaded to DJI servers, and the decision was made to discontinue DoD use of them.

So what can a person do. A skilled hacker can steal data from DJI which in turn has access to your phone. Your phone has data on it in other apps. Like credit card info, bank, personal info you wouldn’t want stolen. All a hacker needs is a backside to your phone. It’s scary.
The recent report is vague and generic.
It gives no details of what the actual threat might be, you can't even find it on the DHS website and none of the news reports give any link to it but here's a quote from one.
“The United States government has strong concerns about any technology product that takes American data into the territory of an authoritarian state that permits its intelligence services to have unfettered access to that data or otherwise abuses that access.”
“Those concerns apply with equal force to certain Chinese-made (unmanned aircraft systems)-connected devices capable of collecting and transferring potentially revealing data about their operations and the individuals and entities operating them, as China imposes unusually stringent obligations on its citizens to support national intelligence activities.”
Besides being vague it seems to have a wiff of irrational paranoia about it.
If you understood what flight data your drone records and how it could be transmitted back to DJI, you'd have no concerns.
The military said to stop using them in 2017. For the same reasons. If they say don’t use them on our property then we should look considering they are pros at spying. Takes one to know one.
And the military went back to using them after an initial panic.
I don't think anyone's suggesting you shouldn't use them on your property.

Determining what is sensitive data and what is not is not so easy.
My dad, an avid photographer, traveled around the world regularly.
Just "touristy" stuff pix, but he was traveling in connection with his work in the MIC.
He got all his photos developed and printed for free by sending the film to a a PO box in Langley VA.

Last edited:
The recent report is vague and generic.
It gives no details of what the actual threat might be, you can't even find it on the DHS website and none of the news reports give any link to it but here's a quote from one.

Besides being vague it seems to have a wiff of irrational paranoia about it.
If you understood what flight data your drone records and how it could be transmitted back to DJI, you'd have no concerns.

And the military went back to using them after an initial panic.
I don't think anyone's suggesting you shouldn't use them on your property.

Exactily. The report is just making vague references to possible security threats with no details at all. For a good counterpoint I offer this video from RT with Ben Swann giving his 2 cents on the subject,

Reactions: Meta4

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik