Upgrading from Standard: anything I need to know?

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm coming from a DJI Phantom Standard... I am returning it and decided the range on it isn't very great when going straight up. I only get to about 210 feet and I lose signal. I built a windsurf for it and got up to about 450 feet alt, but I don't like the range when it comes to distance (only getting about 200 feet away and lose signal at 50 alt in the air)... I can only fly it a few houses down and it comes back with a lost signal.

Is there anything different I should know about the Advanced that's different? Also: I saw a video of the Advance and saw this guy fly it over his small town (distance wise) and it was WAY farther and something I'd really be willing to fork over the extra $300 for. How much further would I be able to fly it with Lightbridge if I'm only getting about 210 feet up in the air? Thanks!

tripleh3lix, make sure you're pointing the remote controller antenna properly too. If the antenna is facing the wrong way, you will have a poor signal and/or could lose the signal.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just a thought - you weren't in beginner mode on the app, were you? That would restrict your maximum height and distance.
Definitely not. I am flying in a neighborhood, and have yet to take it out to any open fields (not many exciting areas in the desert). It would explain the short signal lengths. Just asking how much better light bridge would fare in this type of situation?

Definitely not. I am flying in a neighborhood, and have yet to take it out to any open fields (not many exciting areas in the desert). It would explain the short signal lengths. Just asking how much better light bridge would fare in this type of situation?
10X

SD

Sounds good enough to me! Thanks for answering my question. I pick my Advance up tomorrow and return my Standard. Are there any other controls or anything I need to prep compared to the standard that may be a bit different or "advanced" if I haven't flew one before?

I made the switch from Standard to Advanced last week and finally managed to get out for my maiden flight today. It's a world of difference, the video feed is so much more reliable. The build quality on the controller is a lot better too.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Awe very nice. How's the distance on it compared to the standard?
I made the switch from Standard to Advanced last week and finally managed to get out for my maiden flight today. It's a world of difference, the video feed is so much more reliable. The build quality on the controller is a lot better too.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app[/QUOTE

To be honest, there are a lot of users on here who have a lot more experience than I do regarding distance etc as I'm relatively new to this hobby. The thing I was concerned mostly with was the video signal on the Standard, mine used to drop out between 3-500 Mtrs rendering any flight over that useless as I couldn't see what I was shooting with the camera. Yesterday, inbetween the rain showers, I got up to 800mtrs and still had crystal clear video feed before the impending dark clouds began to gather and forced me to turn around before the rain started again. I'm sure it would have gone a good deal further too but that was enough for me.

Legislation I have yet to see.
The US is currently working on new legislation to limit the altitude for commercial UAS flights. They aren't allowed to touch hobbyists though (or they haven't figured out how to yet). That really doesn't matter though since they can come after people for not fly safely.

The US is currently working on new legislation to limit the altitude for commercial UAS flights. They aren't allowed to touch hobbyists though (or they haven't figured out how to yet). That really doesn't matter though since they can come after people for not fly safely.

I get that. I understand the the EU are also working on legislation which will be of interest to us all who operate here. However, Sfgiants24's post said that a 400' altitude was legally the maximum height limit. I'd like to see the legislation to which he was referring.

However, Sfgiants24's post said that a 400' altitude was legally the maximum height limit. I'd like to see the legislation to which he was referring.
Sfgiants24 is from the US. And, we already know this is not a law in the US. It's a guideline the FAA would like everyone to follow. Case closed, sir ;)

When flying in a clear RF environment be prepared for some nice long-range excursions. ;) In this flight I had perfect video & control for the entire flight & only returned because of the battery.

Hey everyone. I'm coming from a DJI Phantom Standard... I am returning it and decided the range on it isn't very great when going straight up. I only get to about 210 feet and I lose signal. I built a windsurf for it and got up to about 450 feet alt, but I don't like the range when it comes to distance (only getting about 200 feet away and lose signal at 50 alt in the air)... I can only fly it a few houses down and it comes back with a lost signal.

Is there anything different I should know about the Advanced that's different? Also: I saw a video of the Advance and saw this guy fly it over his small town (distance wise) and it was WAY farther and something I'd really be willing to fork over the extra $300 for. How much further would I be able to fly it with Lightbridge if I'm only getting about 210 feet up in the air? Thanks!

Last edited:
When flying in clear RF environment be prepared for some nice long-range excursions. In this flight I had perfect video & control for the entire flight & only returned because of the battery.

That's a long haul and way farther out than I would feel comfortable.

When you passed the Troll Admin Police building it made me think how cool it would be to shoot over what's still left at Sparrows Point. Though there is a lot of steel over there so care in finding a clear open space would be key.

When flying in clear RF environment be prepared for some nice long-range excursions. In this flight I had perfect video & control for the entire flight & only returned because of the battery.

How far out did you go on this flight? Looks a good distance!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31