Upgrading compass to CAN-bus for iOSD

Reaction score
I recently added an FPV setup to my phantom and it has been great. Now I would like to add the on screen display for things like battery level, altitude, etc.

I purchased a iOSD mini, but then realized that where it has a cable to connect to a CAN-bus attached to the compass of the Phantom, mine did not have one. Here is a picture of the original compass, without a CAN-bus plug socket:

Note that there is a 5-pin cable going from the original compass, into the GPS board in the lid of the phantom:

So then I purchased a new compass with a CAN-bus module attached, but when it came, I noticed that used a 4-pin plug!

Some other threads and kits involve plugging into the main board; for example this DJIP2R-09 DJI Phantom 2 FPV & Cable Hub assumes there is an 8-pin plug on the phantom main board, but mine does not have any pins on it:

Now I am not sure if there is a way to get my phantom to connect to the iOSD. Does anyone recognize this style of compass/GPS/board, and know if it is possible to setup OSD with it?

It has been challenging for me to find the pin readouts for the GPS board and compass, or even understand exactly which version of the phantom I have (multiple versions of P2, non-vision?), as I'm seeing multiple styles of board pictures in the forums and only some like mine.

• This post was informative about the 4-pin diagrams: DJI Upgrade Board has CAN bus? | DJI Phantom Forum
  • Does anyone have or know where to find the pin diagrams for the 5-pin connectors?
  • What/why the difference in using 5-pin vs 4-pin cables between the GPS and compass?
  • One of the pins on the 5-pin socket on the compass is darker than the rest - nearly black, but is that significant?
    • I'm optimistically hoping that 1 of the 5 might be going unused and I can splice the 5 into the 4-pin connector.

Last edited:
I recently added an FPV setup to my phantom and it has been great. Now I would like to add the on screen display for things like battery level, altitude, etc.

I purchased a iOSD mini, but then realized that where it has a cable to connect to a CAN-bus attached to the compass of the Phantom, mine did not have one. Here is a picture of the original compass, without a CAN-bus plug socket:

Note that there is a 5-pin cable going from the original compass, into the GPS board in the lid of the phantom:

So then I purchased a new compass with a CAN-bus module attached, but when it came, I noticed that used a 4-pin plug!

Some other threads and kits involve plugging into the main board; for example this DJIP2R-09 DJI Phantom 2 FPV & Cable Hub assumes there is an 8-pin plug on the phantom main board, but mine does not have any pins on it:

Now I am not sure if there is a way to get my phantom to connect to the iOSD. Does anyone recognize this style of compass/GPS/board, and know if it is possible to setup OSD with it?

It has been challenging for me to find the pin readouts for the GPS board and compass, or even understand exactly which version of the phantom I have (multiple versions of P2, non-vision?), as I'm seeing multiple styles of board pictures in the forums and only some like mine.

• This post was informative about the 4-pin diagrams: DJI Upgrade Board has CAN bus? | DJI Phantom Forum
  • Does anyone have or know where to find the pin diagrams for the 5-pin connectors?
  • What/why the difference in using 5-pin vs 4-pin cables between the GPS and compass?
  • One of the pins on the 5-pin socket on the compass is darker than the rest - nearly black, but is that significant?
    • I'm optimistically hoping that 1 of the 5 might be going unused and I can splice the 5 into the 4-pin connector.

I can tell you right now that that isn't a P2 non vision. The photos you have post are that of a Phantom 1 and you posted it in the wrong forum thread.

The photos you have post are that of a Phantom 1

How can you tell this from the pictures?

My wife got it for me several years back for my birthday, it said Phantom 2 on the box, it takes Phantom 2 replacement rotor blades and guards. I read on a forum somewhere how it is possible to port a Phantom 1 into a Phantom 2 case - could it be possible I have one of those?

How can you tell this from the pictures?

My wife got it for me several years back for my birthday, it said Phantom 2 on the box, it takes Phantom 2 replacement rotor blades and guards. I read on a forum somewhere how it is possible to port a Phantom 1 into a Phantom 2 case - could it be possible I have one of those?

If the battery doesn't look like this one it's a Phantom 1. This is a smart battery used in a P2.
DJI Smart Battery.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, I guess I have a Phantom V1! Also confirmed in this post, my GPS looks exactly like the one labeled "Non P2 GPS Board": DJIGuys.com • View topic - Puzzling question. RE phantom 2 and Vision.

Now that I know which Phantom I have, looks like I'll need to either upgrade the main board or buy a PMU in order to get OSD. I plan on following some of the tips here: iosd Mini on Phantom 1 help

Does anybody want an extra compass & leg for a Phantom 2 (I'll donate it if someone pays for shipping)?

Apologies for posting this thread in the wrong forum. Is there a way to move it to the P1 area?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4