Upgraded the extender to RE700

Reaction score
Well thanks to a very generous offer from one of our forum members @Squiddley I went to his place today and picked up a RE700 for my Phantom 2 Vision.

I did some hand wringing about the camera MAC address for binding but since I still had my serviceable RE500 I used it and connected everything and drilled down in the app to 'binding' and there was the MAC address of the camera. Then I connected with the new RE700 and put these numbers in the binding pane.

I have to admit that it took a few attempts with powering cycles and a few resets but in the end all went pretty easy. It's a bit breezy here now so, with weather permitting. I'll fly tomorrow and give it a good test.

Well thanks to a very generous offer from one of our forum members @Squiddley I went to his place today and picked up a RE700 for my Phantom 2 Vision.

I did some hand wringing about the camera MAC address for binding but since I still had my serviceable RE500 I used it and connected everything and drilled down in the app to 'binding' and there was the MAC address of the camera. Then I connected with the new RE700 and put these numbers in the binding pane.

I have to admit that it took a few attempts with powering cycles and a few resets but in the end all went pretty easy. It's a bit breezy here now so, with weather permitting. I'll fly tomorrow and give it a good test.
Aim is everything jumper ! It will surprise ya the 700 !

jumper,

My RE700 is enroute as we speak. Hopefully the best $55 I've spent on the drone yet. Considering that I can sell the RE500, it may net near zero!

Can you provide any details of the steps you took to get it all bound?

jumper,

My RE700 is enroute as we speak. Hopefully the best $55 I've spent on the drone yet. Considering that I can sell the RE500, it may net near zero!

Can you provide any details of the steps you took to get it all bound?

Ken it's a good upgrade:

The biggest headache that most people have is finding the Camera's MAC address in order to bind the new extender to the camera on the Phantom. So while my new one was charging, I connected my old extender, Tx and Phantom just as if I were going to fly with it. Then in my app (iPhone) I went into the 'settings' and scrolled down to 'bind' and there I found the SSID and MAC address of the camera that my RE500 was connected to. I wrote those numbers down. Then I powered everything off and started up again, this time using the RE700. Once you reset the RE700 and see it on the app, the binding process is simply a matter of putting the MAC address into the pane. As I stated in my original post, it didn't work at first and I had to do a few power cycles and reset the RE700 a few times. So don't fret if it doesn't work at first. Just keep trying. I found that if the RE700 took a long time to be seen on the WIFI network, then I had to reset it again.

This is a good video to watch

Last edited:
Thanks Jumper. Hopefully I'll get it this weekend and have a good day flying.

Nice one jumper, with what I've read about the 700, your be very pleased with it;)

Nice one also squid. ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
So far so good!

Yesterday the winds were up (around 16 nts) and usually I don't fly when they are gusty like that but I went to the airfield here and took a short hop. With my RE500 I would start to get drops at the 120M mark and that was usually my limit. Yesterday I went down the strip and still had a good connection at 150M I turned and came back because of the wind but I am sure I could have gone farther. I still get the connection lost error when I snap a photo but it only last for a few seconds.

Overall, I can tell already that I'm going to be happy with the upgrade.

Nice one jumper, glad your pleased with your purchase, money well spent then, yeah;)

All the guys/girls on here who have bought the 700 swear by them, no comparison to the 500. Good job;)

Glad to hear its working out for ya Jumper I remember when I binded mine now that you mention it I had a heck of a time with it took quite a few trys to get it but eventually suceeded, I get far better video distance now a great purchase thats for sure, got my new motor the other day got it all wired in and she runs like a charm havent had it out yet for a fly just finished screwing it all back together tonight so hopefully in the next day or 2, oh ya thanks to Dirk for the help also, can always depend on him to come thru, with his experience and his knowledge sure does help out at times.....infact everyone on this forumn has been a great help, honored to call you all friends, ive learnt tons so far just by reading posts, and knowledge from others passed on etc.....great bunch

So I got my RE700. Binding was quick and easy. However, I am not getting much range. It is less than 300'. It also is dropping the WiFi signal. Anyone experience this?

Are you aiming the extender at your bird and what do you have your preview quality set at .
If you have it set high lower it to 320x240 15fps and be sure and aim the extender at the bird.
Be sure you have did a full charge on the extender also .

Are you aiming the extender at your bird and what do you have your preview quality set at .
If you have it set high lower it to 320x240 15fps and be sure and aim the extender at the bird.
Be sure you have did a full charge on the extender also .
My preview is 640x480x15, the same as I had for the RE500. The 500 was good for about 1000' that way. The 700 was fully charged and pointed at the bird.

So today I went to the airfield and took my Phantom up to about 50M and flew straight down the runway. At around 350M I couldn't see it anymore but I was getting a good signal. I have to admit that there is a bit of apprehension when I lose sight of it, but I yanked back on the stick and so I heard/saw it and relaxed. I did a few more runs to this distance and I was happy. I know lots of people have gone farther but this is a good distance for me and I'm really happy with the RE700.

On another note when I got home and downloaded my flytrex date it said I broke a speed record by going 56 Kmh. I guess full forward and a bit of a tail wind will push it pretty good. I'm not sure if anyone has seen the flytrex plot, but the top speed was just flashes at the peeks but it was definitely over 50Kmh. I'm glad I wasn't watching the speed.

Ken: Did you reinstall the Vision App? I read everywhere that the success rate climbs when doing that.

I reinstalled the Vision and Litchi apps last night. Hopefully I will get to retry tonight.

So today I went to the airfield and took my Phantom up to about 50M and flew straight down the runway. At around 350M I couldn't see it anymore but I was getting a good signal. I have to admit that there is a bit of apprehension when I lose sight of it, but I yanked back on the stick and so I heard/saw it and relaxed. I did a few more runs to this distance and I was happy. I know lots of people have gone farther but this is a good distance for me and I'm really happy with the RE700.

On another note when I got home and downloaded my flytrex date it said I broke a speed record by going 56 Kmh. I guess full forward and a bit of a tail wind will push it pretty good. I'm not sure if anyone has seen the flytrex plot, but the top speed was just flashes at the peeks but it was definitely over 50Kmh. I'm glad I wasn't watching the speed.

Ken: Did you reinstall the Vision App? I read everywhere that the success rate climbs when doing that.

A bit of poo always comes out when I loose sight of my phantom so I know what you mean jumper;)

A bit of poo always comes out when I loose sight of my phantom so I know what you mean jumper;)
Not me Porky ! Butt to tight :eek: JK... naaaa ya get used to it !

Reactions: Clampit
Not me Porky ! Butt to tight :eek: !

Not meeeee my bowls start to go then hell brakes loose:D fill sorry for me wife, she's got to clean up after me:eek:

I reinstalled the Vision and Litchi apps last night. Hopefully I will get to retry tonight.
Hope it works out for ya Ken;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20