Upgraded landing skids

Reaction score
If you want to fly with dual batteries, a gimbal, or just mount anything to your Phantom get these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281148831270?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I have had them on my Phantom for 2 days and they make a huge performance difference.There is also a huge reduction in the ground effects that the Phantom puts out during take offs and landings. The result is a much soother take off and landings are now shock absorbed.

I noticed that some of you are having tipping issues when you mount a gimbal to your Phantom. This set of landing gear will help. They are adjustable so you can move the center of gravity around. Hope it helps!

:mrgreen:

Isn't the extra weight of the Landing Skids an issue?

I read from others on this forum that the ATG Landing Skids add a lot of extra weight compared to the Stock Skids...

How much does it actually weigh in grams with the Phantom, a GoPro, Gimbal, and two batteries?
(add a Garmin GTU 10 to the mix also if possible)...

Let us know... Thanks!

The shapeways wide landing gear is similar and weighs alot less, you can cut the CF tubing to what ever length you want/need!

. . . Having said all that, I haven't fitted my set yet.

Driffill said:
The shapeways wide landing gear is similar and weighs alot less, you can cut the CF tubing to what ever length you want/need!

. . . Having said all that, I haven't fitted my set yet.

I thought about those skids. I am not exactly happy with the materials that the connectors are made out. They also do not have the battery tray adapter and cost more.

I think the board ate my post.

Everything strapped onto the Phantom comes out to about 1059 grams. Roughly two pounds.

Keep in mind that I am running Tmotor anti gravs and 9 inch carbon fiber props. They make a world of difference.

miskatonic said:
I think the board ate my post.

Everything strapped onto the Phantom comes out to about 1059 grams. Roughly two pounds.

Keep in mind that I am running Tmotor anti gravs and 9 inch carbon fiber props. They make a world of difference.

That cant be with anything else but the landing gear, stock phantom with battery is 800g and this landing gear is nearly 190g heavier then stock legs. No point getting the legs without a camera, gimbal fpv etc. That will add another 300g plus easily and if you want a second battery thats another 200g so all up youd be looking at 1359-1559g using these legs as intended and thats not going to fly very long.

If you have a stock phantom with no camera then these legs are ok but then there is no point to use them, youd only get them for using with a gimbal and other addons and then its just too heavy IMHO.

I fly a setup between 1150g single cam and 1300g for 2x hero 3 for 3d video I lose nearly 2 minutes flying time with that extra 150g so no way id be adding 200g just for a landing gear mod.

I have come to the conclusion that one can either fly with an extra battery, a gimbal, or functional landing gear but no combination is going to reasonably work with the Phantom.

I think I need to start building an F550. :lol:

miskatonic said:
2 pounds extra. Not the take off weight.

Can you give your actual total weight then as surely you couldnt lift 2 pounds extra ontop of a stock phantom. Stock is 800g add 1kg and your at 1800g total, thats way over weight and you'd need much bigger motors and larger props for any sort of reasonable flying at that sort of weight. This just isnt possible at the phantoms frame size using the figures from the tiger motors I use below.

20130515051850998.jpg

Look at the figures for 10x3.8 props these would be a similar amount of thrust to using GWS 9x5x3 triblades.

At 50% throttle this gives 370g of thrust so x4 is 1480g of thrust at 50% throttle, 100% throttle gives 900g or x4 is 3600g.

Even with these motors and largest possible props on a phantom youd need around 60% throttle just to lift a 1800g setup, this would chew battery pretty quick too. Looking at the stats a 4S battery provides quite a bit more thrust so looking at larger setups like a 450 with 10 inch props and 4s battery you could lift 2160g at 50% throttle on a quad or 3240g at 50% on a f550 ;)

Using stock motors and stock props or even 9 inch dual blades will get significantly less lift then those figures and your going to need close to 100% throttle just to get it off the ground at that weight. As you look at the efficiancy of the props anytime you need to go high throttle percentages it will eat battery capacity in a hurry. Flying the GWS 9050 props in manual mode my hover throttle percentage is just under 50% using some other props this is up to 80% and others with so little lift I would even try and fly in manual mode. Flying in gps or atti doesnt exactly show you how much lift your setup has because 50% throttle is the hover percentage. If flying very heavy in GPS or atti it will still hover at 50% but then switch to manual mode at 50% in a hover and watch it come down like a rock with low lift props.

This is also why the heavy phantoms tend to drop very hard when reaching level 2 failsafe, this reduces throttle percentage at 50% upwards to 90% over time to slowly descend. If you have a heavy setup that needs 70% or more throttle just to hover when the NAZA starts to drop this throttle percentage then it will just fall out of the sky like a rock.

Hi All,

I got landing gear similar to those being discussed in this thread and they were great until I started adding the gimbal and camera at which point the weight was shortening flying time considerably. So just got a new CF. Landing gear for my phantom.

You can find it here

http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/prod ... 436a103997

And I am well impressed. Expensive at 54 dollars but it gives greater height for less weight than the others I got. It also has platforms for 2 external batteries and the height is adjustable.

Any how, have a look. I am really glad I took a punt on them. With them and my new gimbal it is all looking a bit sexy Very happy.

For power I wired a small jst connector out to the underside of the body to power the gimbal but my next step will be to mount a set of micro switches into the body so I can leave things plugged in and just switch them on or off as necessary.

FWIW

Jonathan

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1