Upgrade

Reaction score
I have a Phantom that I want to use the ground unit and the iPad controller and the way points, can I do that or do I need to upgrade to a Phantom 2?

CJTeach said:
I have a Phantom that I want to use the ground unit and the iPad controller and the way points, can I do that or do I need to upgrade to a Phantom 2?

You can use the DJI Groundstation with the P1: http://www.dji.com/product/ipad-ground-station/

However, you will need a Canbus connection on the Phantom to connect the data link module that installs on the aircraft. If your Phantom doesn't already have that, then you'll need to add at least the PMU as well to provide that port for you.

The GS is limited to 16 waypoints on the NAZA flight controller the Phantom's use, DJI's other (way more expensive and bulky) flight controllers will allow up to 50.

Thanks! I didn't want to buy another quad if I didn't have to and 16 way points are more than enough! Thanks Man You Rock!

I'd be glad to! We have a really cool project we are working on with our students. I'll post how it works.

CJTeach said:
I'd be glad to! We have a really cool project we are working on with our students. I'll post how it works.

Awesome!! I LOVE to hear about the Phantom being used for that, already working on setting up some tech demos for local schools :)

We're on the opposite side of the country from you, but if we can be of any help just let me know. In an email I would be happy to tell you how we are using the quad to combine a few of our schools vocational programs together.

ok I have ordered the CAN-BUS, PMU, and the ground unit. This should be everything I need to make the upgrade for the ground station.

Thanks for you help.

CJTeach

I would love to know how you are doing upgrading the Phantom to use the Ground Station
My current setup has the Naza M V2 with a Beholder gimbal for GoPro 3 and I would like BVR.
Question:
Still am unsure of the basic equipment I have to purchase
Blue Tooth unit ?
Mini IoSD?
Cambus port?
PMU?
How is the weight with all this (with a 2700mah battery) I am getting pretty heavy flight time is down to about 9 mins

The only combo packs I find do not include the cambus does the Naza M have a port (guess it would require two)

Thanks any help is greatly appreciated.

Scubableu said:
I would love to know how you are doing upgrading the Phantom to use the Ground Station
My current setup has the Naza M V2 with a Beholder gimbal for GoPro 3 and I would like BVR.
Question:
Still am unsure of the basic equipment I have to purchase
Blue Tooth unit ?
Mini IoSD?
Cambus port?
PMU?
How is the weight with all this (with a 2700mah battery) I am getting pretty heavy flight time is down to about 9 mins

The only combo packs I find do not include the cambus does the Naza M have a port (guess it would require two)

Thanks any help is greatly appreciated.

You'll need to add a canbus port to your Phantom, which means you will either need to add the upgrade board and create a canbus port on it, or install or the PMU. Once the canbus port is in place, all you need to buy is the 2.4GHz Data Link package like this: http://1uas.com/2-4Ghz-Bluetooth-Data-L ... rch=ground station

The unit that mounts on the Phantom weighs about 30g total with the associated cabling, so that can make a small impact on your flight time.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20