upgrade to ph4 from ph3 adv because of:

Reaction score
I have the Phantom 3 advanced but there is an opportunity to upgrade to a refurbed Ph4 for another $175.

Given that there seems to be enough evidence that the range for the 4 is lower than the 3 adv could be a dela breaker for me and NOT upgrade. However, the forward sensors on the 4 could be a deal breaker - love that option.

So, it af this time the range issue has not been worked out you think the upgrade in cash is worth it?

Much has been written about the standard RC/AC configuration being hampered by distance issues over the P3A/P3P set up. Personally I modded my antenna for reasons other than distance which I felt was good enough in stock form. Depends on what you are trying to achieve by upgrading, I moved from a PS3 so that was a no brainer and have had zero issues with my current package. As for obstacle avoidance, apart from having a play with it occasionally, I rarely use it for regular flying. If you are getting some sort of warranty with your refurbished unit, I would go for it.

Much has been written about the standard RC/AC configuration being hampered by distance issues over the P3A/P3P set up. Personally I modded my antenna for reasons other than distance which I felt was good enough in stock form. Depends on what you are trying to achieve by upgrading, I moved from a PS3 so that was a no brainer and have had zero issues with my current package. As for obstacle avoidance, apart from having a play with it occasionally, I rarely use it for regular flying. If you are getting some sort of warranty with your refurbished unit, I would go for it.

Well thanks, are you saying the range issue for the most part meets that of 3adv with the signal mod for the p4?

Well thanks, are you saying the range issue for the most part meets that of 3adv with the signal mod for the p4?
I've never owned a P3A so I can't speak from experience, except for my mod giving me double the penetration and distance from stock. I live and fly in dense forest so penetration is very important. Down at the beach, my distance is only limited by my battery.

I also amd surrounder by dense forest. I suppose your main concern was signal loss while flying - me too. The distance, well that's coll too in the right environemt.

I thought the obstacle avoidance or rather hoped (on the 4) would work out to be a practical and must have option especially while following trees and fences. I am new to flying and the few crashed I have made head on. I think then perhaps it's more of a novelty for advanced pilots.?

I also amd surrounder by dense forest. I suppose your main concern was signal loss while flying - me too. The distance, well that's coll too in the right environemt.

I thought the obstacle avoidance or rather hoped (on the 4) would work out to be a practical and must have option especially while following trees and fences. I am new to flying and the few crashed I have made head on. I think then perhaps it's more of a novelty for advanced pilots.?
OA is still useful for flying amongst the trees but you need to ensure that you keep an eye on the orientation of the quad as the sensors are in the front only. I do occasionally use OA for flying missions (litchi) where I am I am flying lower than normal and I want to film parts of the lake, but most of my flying is way above the forest canopy and turn off OA to get an increase in speed.

Reactions: jsposito
True, and it appears to me that and wind would typically blow the craft sideways, hence the need for side sensors. I guess I will keep my p3 adv - as the Jjump tp P4 Pro is way over my budget.

True, and it appears to me that and wind would typically blow the craft sideways, hence the need for side sensors. I guess I will keep my p3 adv - as the Jjump tp P4 Pro is way over my budget.
The P4Pro is in another pricing league and I won't be going there for a while. I'm happy enough with my set up including Fatshark v3 goggles and you will be fine with your current package. It's all about the flying and having fun and drinking beer when you are done for the day.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl